Driving and RH.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have recently been told by an endocrinologist that I might have reactive hypoglycaemia, and this is a trigger for significant drops in energy that I experience.

These energy drops never occur while driving. They most often occur when doing hard physical work - which for me includes concentrating very hard on a conversation or lecture or similar. I find driving relaxing.

The consultant plans to do a long oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) to confirm the diagnosis.

The DVLA website does not seem to mention RH - although, it does describe diabetic / medication induced hypoglycaemia.

I know that I am not affected with RH symptoms while driving. The consultant said nothing about driving with RH, he even suggested I could drive to the OGTT if I thought that I’d be recovered enough to drive home afterwards.

What do others know / do about RH and the DVLA?

Many thanks.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
P.s. I do not have diabetes nor use diabetic medication.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

I have recently been told by an endocrinologist that I might have reactive hypoglycaemia, and this is a trigger for significant drops in energy that I experience.

These energy drops never occur while driving. They most often occur when doing hard physical work - which for me includes concentrating very hard on a conversation or lecture or similar. I find driving relaxing.

The consultant plans to do a long oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) to confirm the diagnosis.

The DVLA website does not seem to mention RH - although, it does describe diabetic / medication induced hypoglycaemia.

I know that I am not affected with RH symptoms while driving. The consultant said nothing about driving with RH, he even suggested I could drive to the OGTT if I thought that I’d be recovered enough to drive home afterwards.

What do others know / do about RH and the DVLA?

Many thanks.

Hi,
I have had a few extended OGTT. And I've never felt good after any of them.
It is a repeat of having a sugar drop or a hypo. I would recommend someone picking you up. I would also recommend that if you do go hypo,, to drip cup of tea, with a couple of biscuits, the nursing staff will probably insist on treating a hypo as if you are T1, you are not, if you do drink or eat some quick acting glucose or carbs, you will get a rebound effect. My first eOGTT, they gave me high quick glucose and I spent the next ten hours going high, going low, until I was told to just have a cuppa. I wasn't good! My next eOGTT, I demanded just tea and a couple of plain biscuits and that worked for me.
The DVLA do not approve driving if the driver is susceptible to hypos. Those on diabetic meds are required to test before driving. Type one are advised to carry quick acting glucose or sugar to offset hypos. And to pull over if they start getting a hypo.
With RH, I was advised when first diagnosed to not drive at that time my blood levels where not in control and quite likely to get hypos. There is no guarantee with RH that you have to consider how likely you are to have a hypo.
If you are testing, it will become obvious that unless you are capable of keeping your blood levels in normal levels constantly, you are likely to have a hypo.
Are you on a Keto diet?
I used to do manual work and mostly very busy, because I was in ketosis and never triggered a reaction, I was in great energy levels and no hypos. However, doing too much strenuous exercise would trigger a hyper/ hypo episode because of a liver dump. As with a lot of this type of condition, it depends on what you can tolerate, what you eat and how much carbs that you eat.
I would definitely recommend constant monitoring before driving and not driving at all if you don't stop having hypos!

Let us know how you get on!

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for that, I’ll see what the consultant concludes with the eOGTT.

I am Keto Carnivore (having tried all sorts over the years) - it has helped a lot. I recover much quicker if I get tired.

How many carbs should I eat on the days before the test? I’m guessing Keto is not a good place to be before an eOGTT??

And I’ll have to remember to take in my own food for after. Thank you.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for that, I’ll see what the consultant concludes with the eOGTT.

I am Keto Carnivore (having tried all sorts over the years) - it has helped a lot. I recover much quicker if I get tired.

How many carbs should I eat on the days before the test? I’m guessing Keto is not a good place to be before an eOGTT??

And I’ll have to remember to take in my own food for after. Thank you.

For all RH ers, every blood panel test, eOGTT, insulin tests it is necessary to fast, so that any carbs, protein and fats will not effect the glucose you take at the start of the test, you are allowed water but that is it, they should tell you to fast from about 7-9pm the previous evening.

The test will start with a finger prick test and a cannula is fitted to take bloods, your blood will be taken a few times through the cannula. You will get a finger prick test every thirty minutes. You will drink a glucose solution 75g, and be told to relax, I always took my music and reading material.
You do need something to occupy yourself because you are there for at least fours hours. Keep asking and record your finger prick results, so you can post it on here, depending how quickly the derived glucose takes and how weak your insulin response is.
Because the glucose will trigger the reaction of your pancreas you will get what is known as an overshoot and that will drive your blood glucose levels down into hypo levels if you have RH!
This should happen around the three to four hours after the glucose. If you go hypo you have RH, if you don't go hypo, you will require further tests.

Hope this helps.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. That does help. Good to chat to people who have been there.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you. That does help. Good to chat to people who have been there.

I'm sure you have questions about Hypoglycaemia. If you're not sure or curious. You have enough posts to read my blog. My story of my battle to get diagnosis is there.
Click on my avatar, click on Lamont D blogs and read the first one called 'The Reactionary'

Keep safe