Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as an aside there are three persons in my household we all have the test and trace app on our phones at this moment my daughter is getting the message the risk in your post code area is medium I am getting the message the risk in your post code area is high and my wife is getting the message in your post code area there are places were the risk is high and places were the risk is medium all three of us stood in the same room getting different messages.
Have you all entered the same postcode?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Just as an aside there are three persons in my household we all have the test and trace app on our phones at this moment my daughter is getting the message the risk in your post code area is medium I am getting the message the risk in your post code area is high and my wife is getting the message in your post code area there are places were the risk is high and places were the risk is medium all three of us stood in the same room getting different messages.
It’s beyond laughable! The only thing that’s been properly (non-Covid attentively) managed are the proverbials in the breweries! (Am I to be moderated for that? @Jaylee?

Mod edit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NicoleC1971

Max68

I think this is the heart of the problem. Nowhere can be completely Covid safe. To say anywhere is Covid secure is not true. Precautions can be taken but to be inside, particularly now the weather is getting colder, in a working environment with lots of people for long periods of time cannot be completely safe. Throw into the mix the fact that in some environments PPE is actively discouraged, such as primary schools, and the government is still advising vulnerable and extremely vulnerable people back to work is frankly horrifying in my opinion.

Absolutely correct. This really was my problem. Whilst it is a very small school compared with say a secondary school that in itself brings it's own problems. I've probably said this before so apologies if I have but rather than have 1500 odd students in different bubbles/pods our school is one bubble. There are 9 class groups so within two days every class group will have been in every single class with every teacher and support assistant. Therefore if just one student has asymptomatic Covid they will have been in the same class as every single member of the teaching staff inside 48 hours. Likewise if a member of staff is asymptomatic they would have been in a class with every single student within 48 hours. That's not taking into account any aerosol transmission that lurks around in a particular classroom. So from my viewpoint if one individual has Covid by the time you find out it's not a Covid Safe workplace that will save you, just pure luck. And I've never been lucky, especially for at least six months on the trot!!

Reactions: Jbicheno

Max68

I must also say it baffles me with regard to the stupidity/arrogance of some people. From another site may I add. There is an argument going on with certain individuals banging on about their rights and how lockdowns are against their rights and these rules and regulations are screwing up futures , blah, blah, blah. Probably the same views as the people who protest in the streets.

Oddly however these seem to be the same people who refuse to wear masks because again it's against their rights!! It seems to be totally lost on these people that if everyone went along with the rules and wore masks, even if they didn't agree with it then infections would probably go down and restrictions would be lifted quicker.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I must also say it baffles me with regard to the stupidity/arrogance of some people. From another site may I add. There is an argument going on with certain individuals banging on about their rights and how lockdowns are against their rights and these rules and regulations are screwing up futures , blah, blah, blah. Probably the same views as the people who protest in the streets.

Oddly however these seem to be the same people who refuse to wear masks because again it's against their rights!! It seems to be totally lost on these people that if everyone went along with the rules and wore masks, even if they didn't agree with it then infections would probably go down and restrictions would be lifted quicker.
Well I guess I am stupid and arrogant then too.
Haven't been to Trafalgar Square and I don't think the Queen is a lizard nor do I think this a Bill Gates plot (maybe just a great marketing and sales opportunity for big pharma) but do think there is a libertarian argument to be had about being made to do that a) are ineffective (mask wearing) b) disproportionate to the actual risk (99.6% survival rate though much for the very elderly with co morbidities).
Before I am accused of wishing to 'let it rip' as Hancock and Johnson put it (a straw man argument if ever there was one since nobody I know has suggested that0, I do still think social distancing and hand washing would be a proportionate reaction to this virus and other upper respiratory ones that are active in Winter.
I don't feel it is arrogant to question the government advice here given the very serious consequences of such advice and i am surprised that more on this site don't do the same given many have been the victim of bad dietary advice that have probably increased their Covid susceptibility had they not found alternative views on forums like this one.
We can agree not to agree about the risks and the measures but I hate ad hominem attacks (Covidiots versus Bedwetters etc.) though have to admit to resorting to this when frustrated at times!

Max68

Haven't been to Trafalgar Square and I don't think the Queen is a lizard nor do I think this a Bill Gates plot (maybe just a great marketing and sales opportunity for big pharma) but do think there is a libertarian argument to be had about being made to do that a) are ineffective (mask wearing) b) disproportionate to the actual risk (99.6% survival rate though much for the very elderly with co morbidities).
Before I am accused of wishing to 'let it rip' as Hancock and Johnson put it (a straw man argument if ever there was one since nobody I know has suggested that0, I do still think social distancing and hand washing would be a proportionate reaction to this virus and other upper respiratory ones that are active in Winter.
I don't feel it is arrogant to question the government advice here given the very serious consequences of such advice and i am surprised that more on this site don't do the same given many have been the victim of bad dietary advice that have probably increased their Covid susceptibility had they not found alternative views on forums like this one.
We can agree not to agree about the risks and the measures but I hate ad hominem attacks (Covidiots versus Bedwetters etc.) though have to admit to resorting to this when frustrated at times!

I said "some people." :) It can't be argued against though that if it had been possible (it wasn't) to close the country down for say three weeks/one month, no-one in, no-one out, everyone isolating at home, totally and utterly draconian measures then the virus would have been eradicated. Of course that's wasn't possible because you can't close down the NHS, food supplies, all the utilities that we need to survive, but the point is the virus survives because it travels from person to person.

I think the Government have made an absolute hash of it for the record and I fully agree that hand washing and social distancing are massively important and would agree that social distancing is probably the most important factor. I also agree with what you say about other advice that has been incorrect and swayed people incorrectly. However mask wearing is surely proven to protect others. Even if by a small percentage is that not a duty we should all partake in to protect our fellow citizens? I'll fully admit to being extremely peeved when I see someone in a shop not wearing a mask and they don't look like the sort of people who have a reason not too either. This isn't a not wearing a seat belt argument when if you go through the windscreen it's only you that suffers,. By wearing a mask myself I am protecting them after all so why on earth shouldn't they protect me and others?

It's also not just about death rates. We are hearing more and more about long covid and people suffering from dreadful issues since having the virus. I read about someone today who has gone totally deaf since having Covid. Sure serious consequences whichever way you go but is it not a good idea to try every possible way to reduce transmission so restrictions can be eased and lockdowns avoided?

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair many of us here are not accepting government advice any more than you are. The difference lies in you feel they are overreacting whereas we feel they are under reacting.

M

Member496333

Bravo.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A number of posts have been deleted for derailing the thread. Please stick to the topic. Thanks.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Bah

Just checked my covid 19 app and mine and the wife's are now saying the same thing.

That is, your postcode area contains some places where the level is medium and some places where it is high.

About as clear as mud .

Edit exact wording is:

"NG ** includes areas in Local Covid Alert Level Medium and Local Covid Alert Level High."

So I seem to be in two tier levels at once.

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It’s run by an experimental quantum physics section that’s hiding in the shadowy domain of google @JohnEGreen

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a UV cleaning which I wend at work. Makes a geiger counter sound which some members take to be a viral alert. Beep beep!

Max68

Didn't they save Spock and and a whole planet in Star Trek by zapping it with UV light?! Only problem was it fried your retinas! Kind of debunks my theory that we could have zapped everyone on earth with UV light by using satellites! Where is Bruce Willis when you need him?!

Reactions: JRT

Max68

Saw an interesting discussion yesterday with very different points of view. On the one hand you had a young woman who was dead against all restrictions it seemed, and from what she said I assume she thinks that the only people who die from Covid are over 80. She did make very valid points about other conditions being placed on hold that would cause many deaths in itself and as I say she is absolutely correct on that one and it's a difficult question to answer. However Dr Hilary Jones did come up with a very valid point saying that if you just open up society then cases, hospitalisations and deaths re Covid would sky rocket. This approach would definitely overload the NHS and that in turn would also affect those waiting for other treatments because the hospitals would quite possibly be overloaded dealing with Covid cases with not much room for anything else. It's one big quandary!

No idea what the answer is,. We will be in an impossible position if a vaccine or immunity doesn't work or is only short lived. Maybe the way forward is an opt in/opt out policy. There are clearly plenty in society, many of them vulnerable people who don't want to be protected and just as many I suspect who do. Maybe have an opt out of any protection and shield those who want it and see if herd immunity works with those who want to just get on with things being the experiment?!

On the work front I had a phone call earlier from an employment agency saying they had my ideal job as LSA support at a school near me. (Maybe it's the same position I am vacating!!!) I thanked them but explained my current dilemma and the lady said she didn't blame me at all, would do the same if she was in my situation and to contact them when, hopefully one day this is all over. She gave me the impression that there are loads and loads of vacancies that have come up in schools and I have noticed that on the job sites. Quite possibly quite a few have made the same decision that I have hence the number of vacancies becoming available.

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funnily enough, I was having exactly the same conversation with my husband last night re the opt in opt out option. It seems to me, as you have mentioned, some are comfortable with just carrying on as ‘normal’ while others wish to exceed the Government guidelines. I know you can do that already but due to financial difficulties opting out at the moment is just not a choice some people can make.
A bit more flexibility in considering mental health from employers who are insisting the same rules for all may help alleviate some people’s anxiety and make them more ‘opt in’.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit more flexibility in considering mental health from employers who are insisting the same rules for all may help alleviate some people’s anxiety and make them more ‘opt in’

Agree, and not just for employers. For some (and I am one of them) the mental health issues arise through not being able to continue as ‘normal’.

Reactions: Member496333