What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@maglil55, @zauberflote, @DJC3, @Annb, @Antje77, @MrsA2 -- Thanks so much for all your ideas. Pureeing the tomatoes and passing them through a cheese cloth or a sieve sounds good. I am also enamoured with the idea of the Bloody Mary sorbet.
@Bex72 -- Wonderful that things are improving healthwise. Covid can be very scary.
@Mandy20 -- Welcome to the thread.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami. A bit of baba ghanoush.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with chicken liver pate. Two scrambled eggs.

Late dinner: Lamb's lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing and parmesan. About 20g of my husband's steak. Two glasses of wine.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New to this forum, and trying to lose weight with eating less generally, with less carbs, pre-diabetic HbA1c 44. I’ve been on very low carbs/calories for several days and yesterday I hit the wall and felt a very surreal empty mood, and gave in and started eating more. Breakfast today 45g porridge/yoghourt/half a pear, lunch ham sandwich and green salad, dinner homemade chicken soup with 3 new potatoes. So not really such a low carb day, but I feel more normal again. Less carbs again tomorrow.

Hi @Mandy20 It’s great that you’ve joined this thread. Keep coming back and reading what people here are eating. It’ll give you a good idea of the scope and variety of low carb food. Most of us don’t count calories any more ( as @Annb says it’s hard to do both carbs and calories ) but there have been some truly spectacular weight losses by people here, just by eating low carb, and not by being hungry.

Mandy20

Thanks DJC3, I’m here to learn. I played around with my blood sugar readings (Kinetik) over the last couple of weeks and 2h after food was often around 8.2. (1.5 hrs after food could be 9 or 10) It took a couple of weeks and some 15 mins walks after food to bring it down to 7.8 2 hrs after food (and 8 after 1.5 hrs) but the readings have been variable. Now I’m even more confused because I started using a freestyle libre to avoid savaging my fingers and my blood sugars are distinctly lower by around 1.6 points. 5.2 on the Libre is 6.8 on the Kinetik when taken at the same time. No idea which monitor is wrong. Due my annual HbA1c soon, but whatever happens this has got to change my lifestyle for good.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't know, as this is the first time I've heard the word consommé :D.
But I sent my cousin a message to ask if I remembered correctly it was him who made the soup. If it was I'll ask him if he remembers how he made it, and if he does I will of course share on here.
And then it's up to you to decide if this is a consommé :)
Ha, it turns out my cousin's phone number was still right (it's one of those people I see once a year and never call), it was indeed him who told me about making this soup, and while he doesn't have the recipe he used anymore, he says this one sounds exactly like what he remembers :)
I think this is so cool I might actually try this some time.
And yes, @maglil55 , apparently it is a consommé!
https://barrylewis.net/recipe/clear-tomato-soup/

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w - there are lots of listings for tomato powder on Amazon, from small amounts to hear industrial quantities.
Thanks DJC3, I’m here to learn. I played around with my blood sugar readings (Kinetik) over the last couple of weeks and 2h after food was often around 8.2. (1.5 hrs after food could be 9 or 10) It took a couple of weeks and some 15 mins walks after food to bring it down to 7.8 2 hrs after food (and 8 after 1.5 hrs) but the readings have been variable. Now I’m even more confused because I started using a freestyle libre to avoid savaging my fingers and my blood sugars are distinctly lower by around 1.6 points. 5.2 on the Libre is 6.8 on the Kinetik when taken at the same time. No idea which monitor is wrong. Due my annual HbA1c soon, but whatever happens this has got to change my lifestyle for good.

@Mandy20 - Numbers can vary between the Libre and finger prick testing - especially, for me, in the first day or so of a sensor. However, your sensor will read about 20 minutes behind a finger prick test, as it measures sugars in your body fluid, and not blood. The blood takes 15-20 to get into interstitial fluids, hence the lag.

In terms of feeling a bit rough on low carb/low calorie, it might be best to concentrate on the carbs first, then work out what you might need to do on the calories.

Frustratingly, carbs can be a bit addictive (and for some very addictive) and they can experience a form of withdrawal, in the early days, but it if they stick with it, it passes.

As as I say, my advice would be focus on keeping the cards down, and filling up with low carb veg, or meats, Greek Yoghurt or such likes.

Being hungry (aside from in the period immediately before eating, perhaps,) is no way to live, in my view.

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MrsA2 - they'd likely use a gelatin to set the tomato jelly. @Antje77 - yes, that's a consommé. It's a rich, clear soup. You have to clarify it with egg whites to get it clear. I've made chicken and beef consommé but never tomato. I've used the beef one as a base for an Asian noodle soup when I could still get oomi noodles. Wednesday bed 6.2 FBG 6.4

B. TAG and a SLC roll, warmed in the oven and filled with crispy streaky bacon & a fried egg that was another double yolker. It was heaven! 2.6g carbs in the SLC roll.
L. Nothing. The other thing was the SLC roll was so filling it was 6 hours before I felt hungry again.
D. Eventually - 2 GF sausages, fried egg (another double yolk and veggie chips. Scoop of Halo Top strawberry cheesecake and blackberries.

@SlimLizzy - glad Cat is doing well. Where's @Chook?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Mandy20. @ziggy_w enjoy experimenting with the ice cream maker. @PenguinMum and @Bex72 I hope you are both continuing to recover from COVID. TWAM and CWC until 1.00 pm then a slice of Mestermacher toast, 3 slices pastrami, 60 gms cheddar, cucumber shared with 2 granddaughters and tea - not shared. Evening meal was 3 h/b egg and avocado salad with mayo and 2 tblsps flaxseed

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I was wondering about @Chook too, I hope all is well.
@Mandy20 my Libre is nearly always around 1mmol different to finger prick - I take its readings with a pinch of salt but it it very good for monitoring the effects of a meal, exercise etc as you can see in real time. I’ve found that some meals peak at 1 hr or 3 hrs and that would be missed by just one finger prick at 2 hrs.
Today I had black coffee until around 1pm
Lunch was chicken goujons made yesterday, cold with salad and h/m blue cheese dressing. 2squares Montezuma’s orange chocolate.
Dinner IP lamb stew. Very nice but lacking the crusty bread which would have made a world of difference. DGF blondie and cream to follow.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't quite made OMAD today. Had a very bad nights sleep and eventually finally woke about 10 feeling quite shaky so had a very small ff greek with granola before doing the exercise routine for my bad back.
Then couldn't manage all the food I had planned for my midday meal so just had the corned beef crust quiche with a bit of salad
Had a mini migraine this afternoon. Think it was triggered by a visit to the optician's with lots of lights being shined in my eyes. Bit of a b****r really as I have been listening to lots of podcasts about how keto is supposed to reduce migraines, but how skipping meals increases them. Difficult to reconcile that with introducing omad and fasting to lower my sugars and weight.

Thinking whether to eat tonight. Will see how the evening goes and listen to my body. Have a nice pub lunch booked for tomorrow

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Another carby breakfast. I had some of the stale plain loaf left and saw people posting about bread and butter pudding. So I made a breakfast bread and butter pudding, ie with marmalade dropped into it. Didn't even want to resist. It actually only put my BG up by 1 point! However, since FBG was 11.7, that was not much of a triumph. The bread's gone now, so shan't do that again.

Oddly, despite that, I was hungry again at lunch time so I had one of the portions of using-up-leftovers bake. BG dropping steadily during the day.

Just spent an hour at a Zoom meeting and now I'm hungry again. I'll make a frittata with some veg. That should do me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and chocolate Phd bar
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and packet of coconut bites.
Dinner: spaghetti bolognese, no spaghetti though, had fried slices of courgette instead followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Mandy20

Thanks for your welcome posts everyone.
DJC3 the carb addiction thing rings a bell. I’ve managed to crack my terrible sugar addiction, but carbs are still a work in progress. Tonight was a freezer meal, salmon, carrots and barley rissotto - but then I thought of everyone here, and only had a half portion, and made up the rest with a lentil salad. Barley 75% carbs apparently, vs lentils 20%. Yes I know it’s still carbs but at least it was better than my first choice. Will work on the carrots :)

Mandy20

DCUKMod, that’s interesting about the blood sugar readings. I had my first 5.7 today on the finger prick test (4.6 on the libre but I discount that) 2 hours after lunch of soup with a turkey sandwich. Weird that now that I’ve come onto this low carb section I’m eating bread for lunch, but it’s been a very busy week. It’s taken a few weeks of mindful eating, and 3 weeks of effort to reduce carbs and walking, to achieve a blood sugar of less than 6.8. I’m really happy today with that. I’d begin to think maybe I was just stuck with being high blood sugar but I think this will change. And I’ll get better about making lower carb lunches.

Mandy20

Another carby breakfast. I had some of the stale plain loaf left and saw people posting about bread and butter pudding. So I made a breakfast bread and butter pudding, ie with marmalade dropped into it. Didn't even want to resist. It actually only put my BG up by 1 point! However, since FBG was 11.7, that was not much of a triumph. The bread's gone now, so shan't do that again.

Oddly, despite that, I was hungry again at lunch time so I had one of the portions of using-up-leftovers bake. BG dropping steadily during the day.

Just spent an hour at a Zoom meeting and now I'm hungry again. I'll make a frittata with some veg. That should do me.
The same happens to me when I eat lots of carbs. I had a successful 9 months of eating more healthy choices and lost 8kg, and then about 3 months ago my alter ego said to me one day ‘you’re stressed, it’s OK, you can have a cookie.’ And in that one thought I lost all the determination I’d had, and devoured cookie after cookie and lots more besides. I managed to pile the 8kg back on again. But as everyone says there’s always another day, and I’ve lost 2kg again and will lose more.
I’ve been reading Prof Taylor’s book about 800 calorie diets and rapid weight loss and I think that’s what I fantasised I might do, but the realities of even sticking to 1000 -1200 calories have tested me.
I now think if I can eat less carbs the weight may just shift.
I guess I’m flitting around a bit, but learning, and all of the suggestions here are great.
Thank you for the welcome and for the tips everyone

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Mandy20 welcome! You will find the nicest bunch of people, and lots of good ideas, right here! I see you've already got some, even. I lost more weight than I dreamed of not counting calories, to the point where I stopped weighing myself. That backfired a little, very slowly creeping up on me, so I am trying mostly not to eat quite so many nuts. Some days I succeed! [this was all from yesterday!]

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 corned beef crust quiche?
Easy peasy.
Line a tin or dish with thin sliced corned beef cut to fit and go up the sides. Bake in oven 10 minutes then add whatever you'd normally put in a quiche, eggs, cheese, ham, vegs etc. Bake in oven and bake until done. I sometimes do a 2-4 eggs one and about 100g corned beef or a bigger one in bigger tin with double beef and 8-9 eggs

The corned beef acts as the crust instead of pastry.
Yesterdays one leaked and the eggs went under the beef so it was more like a fritata on one side, but no one noticed!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Easy peasy.
Line a tin or dish with thin sliced corned beef cut to fit and go up the sides. Bake in oven 10 minutes then add whatever you'd normally put in a quiche, eggs, cheese, ham, vegs etc. Bake in oven and bake until done. I sometimes do a 2-4 eggs one and about 100g corned beef or a bigger one in bigger tin with double beef and 8-9 eggs

The corned beef acts as the crust instead of pastry.
Yesterdays one leaked and the eggs went under the beef so it was more like a fritata on one side, but no one noticed!

Must try that, it sounds fantastic.

Been sorting out the fridge and left-overs situation. Too much. So I've made some things for future use and found some freezer space for them. Just leaves me with some salmon mayo and some left-over veggies to use. That's for tomorrow.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@MrsA2 all the medical conditions which require opposite behaviors, eh? Drives me up the wall!!
@Mandy20 I wouldn't mind if you passed me your leftover salmon! Before covid, I was shopping at a local deli which had already cooked "just plain salmon". I'd get that and broccoli and pig out. Yum. Sounds like you're making real progress there with the numbers!
Today was woe-is-me day in one way. MrZF had a dr appt yesterday for routine Medicare visit. He ate his usual bfast-- large bowl of raisin bran with a banana cut up on top, and orange juice. They drew blood an hour or so later. BG 3.1. It is agreed that it must be a lab error. And then I Zoomed into a musicians' union board nominating meeting and got nominated. I've successfully avoided having that responsibility again for 25 years. Ah well. Time to give back again!
Bfast avocado, pecans, 2 boiled eggs, a cherry tomato, flax crisps/dilute soymilk.
Lunch 2 thin slices provolone, more flax/soy
Supper sautéed chicken breast slices, spinach/hm dressing, pecans, cherry tomatoes, flax/soy.
Off to bed. Sleep well all and good morning!