Flu vaccination

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shingles tends to surface when your immune system is low or under duress could be the flu jab was enough to allow it to erupt. Having had it myself I can honestly say the most painful experience in my life, I hope he has a speedy recovery.
That was what I was thinking too..

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery only has the vaccination for the overs 65s at the moment but are expecting the others ‘sometime’ in November so both me and OH will have them then. Last year was the same in that we didn’t have them until November.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. I had my flu jab this year 1st year ever. At my surgery it felt a bit like a quick fit setting . Lined up outside in the rain then ushered in one side of the surgery , jabbed and out the other side - no information about which strain of flu I was being inoculated against though - does anyone have this information ?

I just had mine this afternoon. I was given the patient info leaflet that says this.

0F06C2A8-1589-417F-8284-0CE9B6D69191.jpeg

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is unprecedented demand for the flu vaccine, as we all know. I was originally told I could have the flu vaccine in November. I was advised by a different GP practice to contact my IBD consultant for advice, as I take immunosuppressants for my Chron's disease & was shielding due to COVID-19. In amongst the pandemic I got diagnosed with diabetes & got referred to an endocrinologist as my hba1c shot up. A bit of a double whammy for me & knocked me for 6. I'm awaiting the results of tests to find out, which type of diabetes I have.Ended up having the flu vaccine yesterday. Keep safe everyone.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I just had mine this afternoon. I was given the patient info leaflet that says this.

View attachment 44599

As a follow up ; this was my first time in getting a flu jab . I understand everyone is different. This is my experience. For me the jab was a bit like being punched in the arm - I couldn’t sleep on my left side ( the side I was jabbed in) for 3 nights. I had 2-3 days of a runny nose followed by 2 days of energy loss. Nothing life threatening but enough to get me watching day time tv which is thankfully a rare event. During this time my blood sugars were up. A few more days on and I’m fine , blood sugars back down and I’m feeling fine .... was it worth it ? I don’t honestly know , I hope so. .... I’m doing all I can to stay healthy , eating well, sleeping well, taking vitamins and occasionally touching wood ...... best thoughts all .....

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to remember I had a similar reaction the first time I had the flu jab, about five years ago. Each time since then, the reaction has gotten milder, until the latest this year when all I felt was a very slight pin-prick and no after effects.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally had mine today. Under 65. Its the first one I've ever had so watching for side effects next few days.
There were over 65s in the queue too. Our village surgery apparently did150 today alone

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
I had mine a couple of weeks ago. Sore arm for 2 days, more sore than usual, and slightly raised bs, but well worth it this year. I had it at a local pharmacy with a good reputation because surgery was really struggling ( I missed my proper slot as I had a cold) and not sure when I’d get a gap. Pharmacy was safer anyway - much less crowded. I’m 68 with type 1 so didn’t want to hang around.

aard

supposedly on the list to get it in ou GP second wave in november but havent been contacted yet so doubt im getting it.

TBH the thought of queueing with all those other potentially sick people put me ifvfrom caring if I get the vaccine.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
supposedly on the list to get it in ou GP second wave in november but havent been contacted yet so doubt im getting it.

TBH the thought of queueing with all those other potentially sick people put me ifvfrom caring if I get the vaccine.[/

At my GPS it was done on a Saturday with military precision. In one door, through to room where chair to sit was placed holding door open. Injected, up and out back door. So quick, unbelievable. Staff stood at strategic points marshalling everyone. Best organised ever. They must have got through loads in a very short time.

JRT

My surgery have clinic this Saturday. I dont drive and dont have anyone I can ask for a lift. It would take me 45mins to walk there and 45 minutes back plus standing in car park. Not sure I have energy for such a walk,especially if weather bad. I'm not happy at using public transport. Surgery no suggestions other than to make appointment after Saturday if weather nice and hope there are vaccinations left. Seeing as I'm not coming within 2metres of anyone I dont think I will bother.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve finally got an appointment for mine on 5 December.

mbortnik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Booked in for Monday afternoon, I've only ever had real Flu once, and I NEVER want to feel that ill again, without the added risks of Diabetes and doubling up with Covid-19
I too have had the "real flu" and was hospitalized for almost ten days. Yes, there is something we can call the "real flu" as opposed to what some people call "a little bit of flu" which is probably just a bad common cold. When you get the "real flu" you will know it and you will never want it again. And, if you haven't had a flu shot to that point, you will probably want one the following flu season.