Conflicting advice

Hi all,

I was diagnosed T2 in June 2011. I am taking 2 x slow release metformim (Glucophage) at night and a Lipitor for cholesterol.

I was sent to see a diabetic nurse and dietician at my local hospital and received conflicting advice.

The nurse told me to limit carbs as much as possible and try to leave 5 hours between meals while the dietician told me to eat little and often and have carbs with every meal!!

The dietician even told me that as I don't much like to eat breakfast I should have a couple of biscuits with a milky coffee instead - this horrified the diabetic nurse when I told her!!

Has anyone else had conflicting advice and, if so, what did they do?

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

I think getting conflicting advice is quite common, not just about carbohydrates either!

I'd say listen to the advice which works for you, which for many type 2's here is to reduce carbohydrate intake in order to reduce BG levels. There are also some Type 2's which can eat a few biscuits and carbohydrates with each meal. It's all about how it affects you personally.

If you find limiting your carbs helps your control then keep doing what works for you.:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As Ebony has said, determine how carbs affect you and which ones. A meter is essential for this. Most of us find we have to seriously control carb intake particularly the highly refined ones. I find it quite common for 'dieticians' in the press some of whom are not as qualified as others frequently quote the mantra of the 'healthy' diet which means to them keeping saturated fats down, salt down and perhaps sugar; carbs may not be mentioned. I would follow your nurse's advice. There is no evidence that you need carbs with every meal; it's only extreme low-carbing that can cause problems. Eating little and often is, however, sensible advice.

Thanks - I have been limiting my carbs because when I test I can see they make me go high.

Just had first blood test since diagnosis and starting on the drugs and will get results in a couple of weeks so after that I will take stock and re-evaluate if needs be!!