VAT exemption?

Humminglime

So I've been reading around that those with any form of diabetes is able to buy things like test strips and metres etc VAT free? Is this correct?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I self fund my own sensors, usually get them from ASDA pharmacy. It was just a matter of filling out a quick form for VAT exemption witch is kept on record for future reference & they scan an exemption code kept in a ring binder by the till as opposed the the product code on the box on purchase..
From memory there is an exemption box to tick online online purchase too?

Reactions: Humminglime

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
So I've been reading around that those with any form of diabetes is able to buy things like test strips and metres etc VAT free? Is this correct?
Meters you shouldn't be buying plenty of companies willing to give them to you

The exemtion also goes to many diabetic products like kit bags etc

Humminglime

Hi,

I self fund my own sensors, usually get them from ASDA pharmacy. It was just a matter of filling out a quick form for VAT exemption witch is kept on record for future reference & they scan an exemption code kept in a ring binder by the till as opposed the the product code on the box on purchase..
From memory there is an exemption box to tick online online purchase too?
Yes I saw the box online and wondered if I qualify just saw the you will get a penalty if you're not really exempt so just wanted to make sure I was good I wanted to by some test strips online as they're only £7.75 for 50!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As long as you have an actual diagnosis from a doctor and its in your records (ie you didn't self-diagnose) it should be fine :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I saw the box online and wondered if I qualify just saw the you will get a penalty if you're not really exempt so just wanted to make sure I was good I wanted to by some test strips online as they're only £7.75 for 50!
Make sure that the strips are compatible with the meter you are using .Navii meters from.Home Health (online ) have quite cheap strips and they used to give you a meter if you bought 5boxes of strips but I don't know if that was just a promotional thing .Worth an ask !
Carol