samuel11

Hi I am new here I just ate a pot noodle from the oriental store (the Chinese kind, not the American pot noodle).
Now snacking on a bag of peanuts.

Is a Ketogenic diet advisable on medication such as Ritalin. I am only wondering because I know that you have to take Ritalin between intervals of food, I am not sure what requirements of the food are or what it is about the intervals of food that are important. It might be to do with blood sugar subsidisation to balance out the serotonin wouldn't that mean you have to have low serotonin intake food? Is blood sugar got any effect on serotonin short term and long term that will effect the side effects of the Ritalin?

But the way I have never tested myself for ketosis so I don't know if it has happened to me yet. I know that it is for short periods. I have fasted for about a week before with (processed*) apples and coffee. *as in cut via a blender till its liquid.
Would my fast induced short periods of ketosis naturally, does it have slower or faster digestion than just having a low-carb intake. Can you not get into ketosis If you have high blood sugar? I know that fasting increases metabolism, but I might have to let the GP know I am taking medication while fasting.

So many questions a little time, haha. I was interested in the forum for the low carb. I have cut the caffeine so I don't drink coffee, that is also making the idea of fasting again harder.
But the way I am a sufferer of ADD and that's why I am on about the medication, please don't be judgemental I have to balance the side effects of chemicals that are much more harmful anyway, such as not drinking any form of alcohol (with the one exception of mouth wash, obviously not swallowed). I have an addictive craving to sugar, I had a bit of a dramatic spike today which made my realise that it is not good, very bad in fact, I haven't smoked for months, I've been tempted (e.g. bought backie just less than a week ago *6days* but I returned it to the shop and got no refund).

These peanuts are really satisfying by the way, really salty.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi I am new here I just ate a pot noodle from the oriental store (the Chinese kind, not the American pot noodle).
Now snacking on a bag of peanuts.

Is a Ketogenic diet advisable on medication such as Ritalin. I am only wondering because I know that you have to take Ritalin between intervals of food, I am not sure what requirements of the food are or what it is about the intervals of food that are important. It might be to do with blood sugar subsidisation to balance out the serotonin wouldn't that mean you have to have low serotonin intake food? Is blood sugar got any effect on serotonin short term and long term that will effect the side effects of the Ritalin?

But the way I have never tested myself for ketosis so I don't know if it has happened to me yet. I know that it is for short periods. I have fasted for about a week before with (processed*) apples and coffee. *as in cut via a blender till its liquid.
Would my fast induced short periods of ketosis naturally, does it have slower or faster digestion than just having a low-carb intake. Can you not get into ketosis If you have high blood sugar? I know that fasting increases metabolism, but I might have to let the GP know I am taking medication while fasting.

So many questions a little time, haha. I was interested in the forum for the low carb. I have cut the caffeine so I don't drink coffee, that is also making the idea of fasting again harder.
But the way I am a sufferer of ADD and that's why I am on about the medication, please don't be judgemental I have to balance the side effects of chemicals that are much more harmful anyway, such as not drinking any form of alcohol (with the one exception of mouth wash, obviously not swallowed). I have an addictive craving to sugar, I had a bit of a dramatic spike today which made my realise that it is not good, very bad in fact, I haven't smoked for months, I've been tempted (e.g. bought backie just less than a week ago *6days* but I returned it to the shop and got no refund).

These peanuts are really satisfying by the way, really salty.
Hi Samuel,
Welcome to the International Diabetes Chorus!
I have a kit which is easy to use for ketogenic levels; got it from the pharmacy; the old school urine sample is used and a series of numbers show how high or low ketosis might be.

samuel11

Hi Samuel,
Welcome to the International Diabetes Chorus!
I have a kit which is easy to use for ketogenic levels; got it from the pharmacy; the old school urine sample is used and a series of numbers show how high or low ketosis might be.
thanks, I'm not diabetic by the way. Just protective about my body

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are protective of your body, I wouldn't eat pot noodles, or too many peanuts.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cashews are worse unfortunately. If you read the nutritional information on the back of the packet you can see how many carbs they have. I am ok with peanuts and can eat 35g at one go. We have to taste and test to see what suits us.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Aremjay

Hi Samuel, get a low carb app like carb manager and input what you are eating - everything! That will show you how high your carbs are. They rack up fast! I try to keep below 23g daily. A pot noodle would take you over this on its own.
I eat protein and salad or veg, no carb heavy foods at all.
Your carb craving will stop after about 4/5 days and a keto diet should make you feel full.
I could never skip breakfast, now I am able to fast from 7pm till midday easily, no hunger at all. I lost 20kgs and am off insulin.