I've Been so Hesitant to Post This...

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been so hesitant to post this for quite some time now, but I feel like it will do more good than harm.. so here we go.

There used to be a point and time in my life when I thought type 1 diabetes was the devil and it was preventing me from everything I wanted to do and wanted to become. I felt like there was no escaping the rollercoaster ride of highs and lows, the depression, the anxiety, the frustration and burnout. It felt like I had no way out and was destined for a life of misery, pain, and anger. But for some reason I just would not give up, I continued to try different things over and over, learning and adapting to what did and did not work. It was super painful and I felt like a crazy person a lot of the time going through this but it was the best thing I’d ever done, which was not giving up. I learnt the power of real nutritious foods, functional exercise, proper sleep, and stress management. I was able to change from a fat, angry, and unhealthy man to a fulfilled, energetic and passionate man. My a1c is steady at 5.0% and I feel in control. Why am I sharing this message with you? When I was down and out and had nobody to turn to, nobody with the answers and no inspiration I wasn’t sure if it was possible to turn my life around. But I’m here as an example that ANYTHING is possible.

December-2017-18.jpg
May-2020-30.jpg
December-2017-18(2).jpg
May-2020-30(2).jpg

Before pictures are dated December 18, 2017.
After pictures are dated May 30, 2020.

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Great achievement, well done! It's always an encouragement to hear success stories as having diabetes is such a rollercoaster at times

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome on the new you.

Great testimony that any possible can happen..

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Awesome and inspiring!

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I’m glad that you decided you’re in charge, and not a victim. You are extremely inspiring! Lead on!

Reactions: Choosehappy

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Nice post @Brendon.Dean your right with a demanding health condition it’s easy to feel down and defeated and let your t1 beat you up each day, but as you’ve proved if you take control and manage it then the world is your oyster, good on you for sharing this.

Buzzer81

Awesome story! The before and after pictures are epic! Seriously, posts like this are motivating and inspirational. Firstly, well done you and keep it up, secondly thank you for sharing and inspiring!!!! Good work!!!!!

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Awesome job @Brendon.Dean ! It's so hard to stay motivated, now more than ever, but your story is certainly inspiring

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Brendon.Dean,

Thanks so much for sharing, you've done an amazing job getting things on track!

I'm having a hard time with my diabetes and just life in general at the moment, but it's really encouraging to see stories like this :cat:

Firstly, you are so welcome!!

I’m sorry you’re having an overall difficult time with things and I know what that’s like. I currently deal with a toxic living environment and a childhood abuser which makes diabetes that much more difficult to manage.

Fortunately we have one another for support

Munsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moaners! That there's no cure for diabetes.
Well done you!

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great post. It's really nice to hear that you turned things around and came out both looking and feeling so well. Go you!

Fawbs89

I understand this completely. I was diagnosed when I was 14 and I shunned my diabetes in face I refused to take my insulin and made myself very unwell. Fast forward to age 31 and I'm much much better and have learnt to cope and live with this disease.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Everyone has a story and yours is a best seller, just amazing, well done ⭐