What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 thanks for the corned beef crust idea, less outré than many ideas so worth a punt. TWAM and CWC until 1.00 ish then pastrami and cucumber sandwich, Mest... more cucumber, salad leaves and twam. Evening meal will be my Friday favourite: Super Salmon and avocado salad with flaxseeds. Dysfunctional en suite now a functional wet room and old bathroom in the skip. Keep your constituency open for 2 more weeks please Matty Boy so we can finish phase 1, unbox most of our lives. move 90 yo MIL hunker down and review house and diet come spring. I hope all those convalescing are making progress. I miss @Chook too. Hope all is well S

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BREAKING NEWS: 11.40 this morning great granddaughter Rue was delivered by C section. Weighed in at 6lb 6oz - not bad at 37 weeks. Mother and baby are reported to be fine, no problem with bleeding or with the placenta. All's well. So I guess the hospital did know what they were doing after all. Now we wait to see if Rue has any withdrawal problems from all the drugs her Mum has been given.

We have just had a 3 hour power cut. Been considering options since this house is run on electricity AND the internet didn't work, of course. Still, washing machines going full blast again, as is the dishwasher AND the internet. Happy days.

Not too good today - having difficulty breathing - that's unusual. Often my lungs are sore - putting that down to long covid but usually I can get a breath. Had something like this a few days ago and my oxygen level dropped to 85% briefly. Today is has been hovering around 89 - 92%. But I took some paracemol and it feels better. FBG 9.7 and currently 9.7 (only up one point 2 hours after breakfast).

Breakfast was half my "breakfast" frittata (left from last night) - some bits of sausage, some bits of tomato, some spring onion, chopped, some grated cheese (probably gruyere but I can't remember) and lots of double cream.

I think I will have lunch today - salmon mayo.

And I probably will have a meal later. If so, it will be stir fried veg (Neil has just bought me one of those Copperstone frying pans).

His experiment with making puffed macaroni turned out pretty well. They didn't expand very much, but certainly made a pleasant snack - I tried a couple of them and, if I was into carbs, I would be tempted to make some for myself. I wonder if it would work with one of the low carb pastas.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb so very glad Rue and mother are doing well!! What a relief. I'm sorry you're having trouble breathing-- hope that goes away quickly!
Bfast avopecanegg zweiback, overly dried out. Have had to save some because it isVERY dry.
Lunch will have to finish the fiber-rich concoction.
Supper would love chicken soup-- made broth the other day, and have a chicken breast. But I'll get home just in time for barre class, and after class will be too late to cook. So, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soymilk, cherry tomatoes, and mystery food.
Watching grandbaby today. I come to their house because I don't have any left over baby gear-- it was all borrowed then returned, and/or sent on to the next generation. So we have to keep him non-crying so mommy can teach in the next room. Of course a walk in the stroller cures everything, but it is raining very steadily, and there is no waterproof cover for the stroller. Maybe such a thing is already invented!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a few pecans,
Dinner: prawn cocktail, leafy salad, coleslaw and a small packet of Cheesies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

Mandy20

@Annb, @PenguinMum, @Bex72, hope you feel better very soon.
@zauberflote your numbers sound much better than mine!
@Annb thank you for your honesty it makes me feel better because I’ve not yet got it.
Today porridge and 1/2 pear with yoghourt,
Lunch was a 1 slice turkey sandwich with salad (50% better than yesterday).
Dinner prawn stir fry (tiny portion of noodles only 10g carbs) but then I still felt hungry so I blew it by stealing a small Keto bread roll with a tiny bit of jam on it that MrsM20 was eating, followed by 1/2 a very sweet banana with yoghourt and cashews. Don’t think that was a very good idea, 1 hour later my blood sugar is 10.8 on the libre, which is probably a couple of points lower than it actually is . Maybe I can console myself with the fact that this is all a learning curve.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Congratulations @Annb I’m so glad babybRue and mum are ok and doing well.
Today I had black coffee until around 1:30 then a LoDough base quiche made with 3 eggs, mushrooms and the last of the gammon joint. 2 squares Montezumas 100% with mint afterwards.
Not hungry for dinner but still had a bit more mint Montezuma’s.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 brands of ff greek to compare. One, made from organic milk, was a bit thicker, almost whipped texture, but not worth the 50% price hike over the supermarkets own.

L : OMG, lovely! A local community owned pub has just released their Autumn set menu and it was gorgeous. Starter of smoked pigeon breast on celeriac roulade, main of Hake in a Mussel sauce (I swapped the new potatoes for broccoli) then pud was 3 English cheeses. Not bad for £15.95 (we are in stockbroker belt South east) Bg started at 6.5 and only went to 7.5. RESULT!
(I get so bored of only having burger or steak as low carb options and was recently disappointed when a pork belly pub meal blew my sugars because of hidden carbs in the sauce and sides)

Snack at 8pm : a "Yes" bar, peanut and banana flavour. 8.8g per bar. Mainly nuts, no sweetners. First acceptable branded snack I've found

Mandy20

^ well you could say the mint is one of your five a day
This weekend am going to try making some Keto bread rolls with mozzarella cheese, full fat cream cheese, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and eggs. Sounds like something to enjoy in moderation. Pity I can’t make some for everyone to try.

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
L : OMG, lovely! A local community owned pub has just released their Autumn set menu and it was gorgeous. Starter of smoked pigeon breast on celeriac roulade, main of Hake in a Mussel sauce (I swapped the new potatoes for broccoli) then pud was 3 English cheeses. Not bad for £15.95
Remind me to ask you the name of this pub when I can finally visit your country, I want that!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Congratulations @Annb

Very behind and won’t even try to remember what I’ve eaten the past few days, although yesterday did involve rather too much Hotel Chocolat chocolate, some cheese on the train and a bunless cheeseburger at Five Guys on arrival in Brum.

Today was a trip to Coventry to meet a friend, wander along the canal, enjoy a couple of drinks and then a fab meaty meal at Rodizio Rico, a Brazilian BBQ place. Delicious Picanha and sirloin in particular and now completely stuffed.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your welcome posts everyone.
DJC3 the carb addiction thing rings a bell. I’ve managed to crack my terrible sugar addiction, but carbs are still a work in progress. Tonight was a freezer meal, salmon, carrots and barley rissotto - but then I thought of everyone here, and only had a half portion, and made up the rest with a lentil salad. Barley 75% carbs apparently, vs lentils 20%. Yes I know it’s still carbs but at least it was better than my first choice. Will work on the carrots :)
I make risotto with cauliflower rice straight from the freezer. It's made like a "normal" risotto. Start by softening down chopped onion or shallots in butter/olive oil. From here it depends what you are adding. If it is mushroom, fry a good mix of different mushrooms and put to one side. Green veg? I've used chopped green beans, spinach, asparagus...Anyway, from the softened base add your portion of cauli rice. If you are using white wine add it now and reduce down otherwise start added hot stock gradually and let the rice absorb it. Stop when you get the right texture. Add in whatever extras you want veg/mushroom then I tend to add parsley, season then sometimes parmesan other times mozzarella (which gives it the creamy texture).
It sounds a lot of work but it's a lot quicker than a traditional risotto.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Easy peasy.
Line a tin or dish with thin sliced corned beef cut to fit and go up the sides. Bake in oven 10 minutes then add whatever you'd normally put in a quiche, eggs, cheese, ham, vegs etc. Bake in oven and bake until done. I sometimes do a 2-4 eggs one and about 100g corned beef or a bigger one in bigger tin with double beef and 8-9 eggs

The corned beef acts as the crust instead of pastry.
Yesterdays one leaked and the eggs went under the beef so it was more like a fritata on one side, but no one noticed!
Does it hold up on the sides? I would have thought it would slide down without something to bind it together?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy to take you!
Thank you, how kind, it's a deal! I'll be over as soon as meeting people is fun again :)

Had a quick but lovely meal of brussels sprouts with spicy chorizo sausages and walnuts, surprisingly good!

Today I let cat Maartje out of his isolation room where he had to recover from his broken leg, very exciting! We're a few days short of the minimum of 5 weeks but we'd both thouroughly had it with this lock in. Very happy cat, although by now he's limping more than this morning, I guess he overdid things a bit with his new freedom. I gave him some painkillers, although I'd stopped them a couple of days ago.

Monday afternoon I'll be sailing in a small open sailing boat with a friend. Already thinking about good food to bring, it will be cold, which will make us hungry!

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it hold up on the sides? I would have thought it would slide down without something to bind it together?
Its fine, the part baking the crust first seems to work. You might want to play with thickness for personal preference, my last was thin and so quite crispy. I'd have preferred thicker and softer.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast 2 eggs scrambled with butter, a tiny slice(19g) of wholemeal toast with unsweetened peanut butter, CWC
We took the cat shopping. Not a great success, he didn't settle and rubbed a sore on his nose with trying to get out of the transporter, might have to ask the new vet about sedatives for the long journey.
Lunch; more toast, but this time one slice of pain kapnor, twice the size about half the carbs, with porc rillettes, lettuce and two tiny, not quite ripe yet, tomatoes from the garden. Afternoon a lot of time spent sorting stuff.
Dinner, MrSlim had shopped, and he cooked us scallops with chorizo, followed by a half crevette and stir fried vegetables, then a very strange sort of cheesecake, with surprisingly few carbs, Cat had one of the crevette shells which kept him occupied for a good while.
Long chat with son1, repeated invitations to visit, we might even do that. Norfolk look out.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bacon cheeseburger pie. Good served cold
https://t4s.site/view/
Hope link works. If not its from Keto Fitness Club site
The link didn't work but I had no trouble finding it :)
Sounds like a very yummy hybrid between a meat loaf and a frittata, and I might try something like this in the near future :hungry:. Not for monday though, I forgot to mention my friend doesn't eat meat!