What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Winnie-the-Pooh

IMG_1602890583.421043.jpg

Hi, I’m back . Might post again every now and then.
Many things happened since last winter , lost my brother to a sudden heart attack , dad had strokes, myself had COVID .. starting to get better.

A1C was 4.9 pre covid. Now it’s 5.5 . I had sausage and salad for lunch ( pic).

And a thin slice of sprouted bread with feta cheese and sugar free marmalade for breakfast .

I had a sugar free chocolate ( says keto ) for snack but it gave me a tiny tiny spike.

I have not decided on dinner yet . I don’t feel hungry . Very often I skip dinner.

My doctor is very happy with my diet . But post covid it is hard to control bg. Many things I could tolerate before ( a few spoons of brown rice for example) , I cannot tolerate any more .

Reactions: zauberflote

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Thanks for the good wishes @Mandy20 and a warm welcome to you! I am really feeling like me again though my FBG still higher than I would like but not horrific. I have got off very lightly, obs a low viral load and am very proud of my immune system! Some great ideas for food on here in the last couple of days. The cauli rice rissitto is on the list, as is corned beef crust quiche. @MrsA2 do you think the corned beef base would work to make pizza. I have never bothered with the Fat Head dough because I have only ever liked a thin crispy base pizza. @SlimLizzy are you planning to bring Cat to the UK with you, did you have to get a cat passport? Lucky Cat! @Mandy20 you are doing great. It takes a while to figure out what you can eat without too much damage and what you can eat that you actually enjoy! Your meter is your best friend and I found it hugely helpful to keep a food diary for the first few months with BG readings attached to each meal so I was able to build a library of “safe” meals.

On to yesterday’s food for me.
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x lots.
Lunch: large spoon of Waldorf salad and big chunk mature cheddar.
Supper: Chicken, chorizo, red pepper and tin toms with paprika thing with pasta for Mr PM and thin courgette rounds cooked on top of the stew to soften. Mr Pm hates courgette so it was easier to do it that way.
Today had same brekkie.
Lunch will be egg mayo maybe with sliver of Farm bread and salad.
Supper will be Indian t/a if they will deliver, otherwise it will be something with mince!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb warm congratulation on the arrival of Baby Rue and glad mum and baby are well. My first son was 6lb 6oz after he decided to arrive at 36 weeks. Sorry the long Covid is still proving difficult. Your contributions to the Long Covid thread are very helpful and I wonder if you should ask your GP for an antibody test. I have ordered one from Testing Not for Profit (£39). I chose not to tell too many people but two closes friends cast doubt on my test being a False Positive because I wasnt sick enough and had been isolating other than been coughed over in Waitrose on only my second outing in a supermarket in 8 months!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed 6.2 FBG 6.5. @Annb - many congratulations on the arrival of baby Rue xxx It must be a tremendous relief and so glad Mum & baby are doing well. Sorry that the breathing problems have re-emerged. I had that too. Not as bad as when I first fell ill but bad enough to have to prop myself up and once again apply coatings of Vicks. I found paracetamol helped me too. My lingering problems are vertigo when I go to bed (requires turning carefully) and my legs at night but most of that is the spinal injuries.
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with lurpack.
L. A SLC sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw. I had this late on in the afternoon as the boys were here for dinner. Once again it stopped me feeling hungry.
D. The lack of hunger continued but much later I had the last of the Halo Top strawberry cheesecake and 6 blackberries.

An odd food day! @zauberflote - I found my weight went the other way. I lost weight. At the start @DJC3 & myself were still completing the Diet Doctor 10 week challenge. Post challenge I was well into the worst of my illness. I hadn't weighed myself for a while so I was surprised a few weeks ago to discover I'd dropped another 5 lbs. I had to check what I'd been eating and discovered some days both the carbs & calories were very low. I've since dropped another 1lb.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb congratulations to granddaughter on baby Rue but hug for the breathing issues. @maglil55 I used to like risotto so that may work and hug for the intermittent nature of long C. .Julie would need to avoid the risotto at all costs (cauliflower). @PenguinMum I'm glad you feel more like your (far from ) old self. I too wondered about CB as a pizza base even though I have never liked pizza. B=Tea then small CWC (why?); CWC as dockey.. L= will be pastrami and cucumber sandwich (M), more cucumber and leaves, tea. EM= to be mackerel and avocado salad topped with 2 tbls whole flaxseeds.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb warm congratulation on the arrival of Baby Rue and glad mum and baby are well. My first son was 6lb 6oz after he decided to arrive at 36 weeks. Sorry the long Covid is still proving difficult. Your contributions to the Long Covid thread are very helpful and I wonder if you should ask your GP for an antibody test. I have ordered one from Testing Not for Profit (£39). I chose not to tell too many people but two closes friends cast doubt on my test being a False Positive because I wasnt sick enough and had been isolating other than been coughed over in Waitrose on only my second outing in a supermarket in 8 months!
My husband wasn't too ill either. He felt as if he had a bad cold for a couple of days but he had the persistent cough for ages. Our GP is still convinced he had it first but unfortunately, I was the one floored with it. Our GP is also of the opinion that me getting the antibody test is a waste of time as it will likely come back negative. Too long since first infection.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Haven't posted for two days, so it has taken some time to catch up.

@Annb -- Congrats on the birth of your greatgranddaughter Rue. Glad she and your granddaughter are doing fine. Really sorry to read about your breathing difficulties.
Agree with the others -- I am also missing @Chook.

(Back to recording meals on Cronometer, so actually still know what I had the day before yesterday.)

The day before yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A DD keto roll with butter and salami. A side of baba ghanoush.

Dinner: Romaine lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing, parmesan, and prawns fried in sambal oelek and garlic-ginger paste. Sesame icecream with sesame brittle. Dry red wine.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had 2 rashers of streaky bacon and 2 fried eggs this morning. Already a bit hungry, so will have some more drinks to try to calm the hunger pangs for a while.

Might chuck together a quick veggie soup for sometime this afternoon. I have an aubergine getting a bit sorry in the fridge, also some courgettes and peppers that probably need attention. Then there are some mushrooms and some spinach. Also half an iceberg lettuce, some spring onions and some tomatoes. Should be able to do something with that. Soup maker at the ready - it's been stuck in a drawer for weeks now, unused.

If I have soup, I will probably need something more solid later so will have a look and see what springs out at me from the freezer - there are plenty of stews and cold meats in there. Probably roast or grill some cucumber as well.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Yesterday's food ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. A chunk of cheese.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Out for some red wine.

Much later at home: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and cheese, another half with mayonnaise and turkey salami. Sesame brittle.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie-the-Pooh it’s good to see you back posting but sorry to hear it’s been such a horrible few months for you.
@Antje77 Thanks for the reminder about the sprout, chorizo and walnut combo. I loved it but had forgotten about it. Glad to hear Maartje is out and about again, it seems like a very long 5 weeks, must have felt like an eternity for you both. Frittata is the best I can come up with for your picnic on the boat.
@MrsA2 I agree about the burger/ steak eating out dullness. I nearly always chose steak before dx when eating out, but that’s when I had a choice! Now there’s no choice I sometimes feel a bit resentful ( soon change my mind if the steak is good though)
@Goonergal my mouth is watering at the thought of Rodizio rico and the meat skewer in my avatar - no problems there with feeling left out and lacking in options!
@maglil55 I still haven’t tried the cauli risotto. Does the cauli absorb much liquid?
@SlimLizzy sorry for your poor cat’s sore nose, but yay! For Norfolk - how long since you’ve seen your son?
@ziggy_w is the cronometer a phone app? I’ve been thinking I should probably go back to recording food in a less haphazard way. It’s easy to let things slide otherwise.
On to my food now. Black coffee first thing, then water to get me through boot camp, then tea in a travel mug taken to Dennis first agility class. Very funny and enjoyable and he definitely wasn’t the worst behaved! Phew!
Very hungry by 2pm having missed post- boot camp bacon sandwich. Had bacon, cheesy scrambled eggs and mushrooms when I got in.
Not sure about this evening, I think we are supposed to be going to eldest daughter’s to watch Strictly with granddaughters. I don’t know if food is included in the invitation.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Antje77 hoorayy for happy cat and you! And oh my enjoy the sailing! How about tuna-egg "muffins"? Somewhere I have a large-ish rock wrapped in foil, which I heat in the oven for when I want to carry food that has to stay hot. I layer in the cooler or basket newspaper, rock, more paper to level it off, food, more newspaper, and carry carefully if it's sloshy food! Some thick soup or stew in thermos bottles?
@SlimLizzy test the sedative a few times. We had to move 3 cats 100 miles by car some years ago. Followed directions on sedative; by the 20-mile mark all three were not only wide awake but out of their carriers (if you can't even get a cat into a traditional front-load crate you have to improvise....). Seven years later we reversed the move but this time MrZF had them. Several months ago we moved the remaining two of them just a few miles. Much easier. I don't trust oral sedatives!
@maglil55 were you wanting to lose weight? I gained weight BACK after a long plateau following a big loss, but it didn't show up on the scale for at least 6 months, which is a little unnerving. I thought I saw it around belly, hips, and my bras were filled out more-- scale kept saying the same thing over months!
@Annb I like the thought of all those things in your freezer, just biding their time until you smile at one or another of them!
@DJC3 agility class! I hope you and Da pup have tremendous fun with that!
Bfast avocado, pecans, scrambled eggs-- kitchen witch forgot to boil eggs again, 1/4 sq Lindt 90%,
Very early lunch while g'son naps: (over)generous amount of what might be Wensleydale (don't have it enough to have it memorized yet), couple of small "sourdough discard" crackers with cucumber slices. Can you tell they had a family birthday gathering last night lol? And 1 sq Lindt 90%.
Supper I hope will be chicken soup! If I have time I might try some flax matzoh balls in it for me. MrZF gets noodles of course.
Almost a year ago DS&DIL gave me a gift certificate to their massage therapist. I booked an appointment for early March, but when we got there, my mom had just died and sis and bro were due in town that very massage day. By the time that dust settled, of course covid had shut her down. She's been up and running for a couple of months now in her home, and I was lucky enough to book the appointment directly after DS and DIL's in November. Really looking forward to that!!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal my mouth is watering at the thought of Rodizio rico and the meat skewer in my avatar - no problems there with feeling left out and lacking in options!

It was delicious.

Have had to ‘make do’ with Nando’s - wings and halloumi - and a Hotel Chocolat 85% hot chocolate today. It’s a hard life. Nothing else as out walking most of the day.

BABBC610-6B3B-4BDD-B881-A98A71C9E2DB.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do you think the corned beef base would work to make pizza. I have never bothered with the Fat Head dough because I have only ever liked a thin crispy base pizza.
@PenguinMum Glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm not sure if the corned beef base would work. It might well do, depends in thickness and how sloppy the topping. There are other pizza base ideas on the Keto Fitness Club website. Its UK based and run by a dad with teenagers so lots of easy, adaptable recipes. There's a linseed base one, and a meat lovers one. Unfortunately links don't work but its easy to find. They also sell books of the recipes which I like as I hate cooking from a screen

Reactions: zauberflote

Mandy20

@PenguinMum thanks for the encouragement.
For lunch I tried a homemade low carb roll made with FatHead dough with vegetable lentil soup (delicious!) and my blood sugars were
4.9 before, 6.3 after 1 hour, and 6.0 after 2 hours, very stable. Interesting but I’m not sure whether I can do this, the potential amount of fat on the low carb diet concerns me with gallstones, not sure if this is going to be a problem?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started the day with coffee cake!!!
I know, but it was a low carb one I'd made to enjoy with a neighbour as we joined in a zoom coffe morning with her WI. She's 94 and it was her first go at zoom. Had to mute her as she kept commenting on how old people were looking now. (Blush)

Lunch was finishing up the quiche from a few days ago, with a spoonful of coleslaw. Not feeling like I'll need much else today

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keto Fitness Club has a recipe for a meatza where the base is made from turkey or pork mince....
I've made one with pork mince and it works well. I still have one of the bases in the freezer.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 hoorayy for happy cat and you! And oh my enjoy the sailing! How about tuna-egg "muffins"? Somewhere I have a large-ish rock wrapped in foil, which I heat in the oven for when I want to carry food that has to stay hot. I layer in the cooler or basket newspaper, rock, more paper to level it off, food, more newspaper, and carry carefully if it's sloshy food! Some thick soup or stew in thermos bottles?
Cat still happy!
I also had a ridiculous adventure with various rabbits and a hole in the fence this morning. The most memorable part being seeing the rabbit I knew to have died 4 days ago from shock after being chased by the dogs and having fled in their burrough happily hopping around in the garden again :). Guess it didn't die after all!

Tuna-egg muffins sound perfect! A quick google search showed many recipes. Do you have a favourite recipe I can use?
I like the idea with the hot stone, I might just use that for the muffins :)
the potential amount of fat on the low carb diet concerns me with gallstones, not sure if this is going to be a problem?
Do you already have gallstones or are you afraid of getting them?

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum Glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm not sure if the corned beef base would work. It might well do, depends in thickness and how sloppy the topping. There are other pizza base ideas on the Keto Fitness Club website. Its UK based and run by a dad with teenagers so lots of easy, adaptable recipes. There's a linseed base one, and a meat lovers one. Unfortunately links don't work but its easy to find. They also sell books of the recipes which I like as I hate cooking from a screen

Do you think the corned beef base would work if one used a food ring? I was envisaging using the ring, like a cookie cutter, to create a perfect circle, then cook the base for a few minutes, before adding anything else?

Were I doing that, I'd then scoff the corned beef offcuts. :)

Pizza isn't my thing, but I will try the corned beef as a flan/quiche base

Mandy20

Already got them @Antje77. As well as the fat I’m not used to eating so much protein, meat, fish either. I heard of someone on a vegan Keto diet, I wonder if I could add in more plant foods. Just got some tofu. I miss my brown rice but maybe that will pass or maybe it’s just about having smaller quantities.

Reactions: Antje77