Insulin Effectiveness.

tommytwo4g

I was diagnosed as Type 2 in 2013. By that time I had been diabetic for years but had never been tested. I could hardly walk up a short flight of stairs without feeling totally exhausted and I had experienced rapid weight loss over 3-4 months.. After begining Insulin injections, my jealth rapidly improved, I gained weight again, and I could easily walk 2 or 3 miles without becoming breathless and had no joint or other pains. Healthwise, I now find myself back to where I was in 2013, having to stop walking after 50 yards or so to rest. On two occasions over the past week, I passed out for a few minutes. Last year, I had to give up Yoga classes, as I became exhausted after 30 minutes. I used to be able to do the full 1 1/2 hour sesion with no problems.

My question is about Humilin 3 Insulin, this is 30% short acting and 70% long acting. Is it possible that a person can become resistant to a particular Insulin? I have noticed that it seems to take a very long time now after injecting for my blood suger to come down. Without Insulin in the blood stream, waste products from cells can not be processed and exchanged for nutrients. I am wondering if this is why I am feeling like I have entered God's waiting room.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This really is something you need to talk to your health care provider about, have you adjusted your dose if it is no longer working the same? Would you condider asking to change to a basal/bolus regime?
xx

tommytwo4g

This really is something you need to talk to your health care provider about, have you adjusted your dose if it is no longer working the same? Would you condider asking to change to a basal/bolus regime?
xx

Thank you kaylzy91. I do not remember having been told about a basal/bolus regime before now. I have looked into this and it is certainly something that I will ask my Doctor about. I have increased my 2 daily doses but I can still get a very high reading 3 hours later. (20.4)

Because I am really frightened by the complications that can arise through having Diabetes, I try to eat as little as possible. I used to get a regular yearly health check before the Covid scare but this appears to have gone out of the window for the moment. Over a year since the last one. I had a sort of health check 6 weeks ago when I visited the eye clinic. Blood Pessure and sugars, pulse, eyesight, and the nurse said that I was in good shape for a 77 year old man so I cant be that bad, despite my problems.

Thomas.

Last edited by a moderator:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed as Type 2 in 2013. By that time I had been diabetic for years but had never been tested. I could hardly walk up a short flight of stairs without feeling totally exhausted and I had experienced rapid weight loss over 3-4 months.. After begining Insulin injections, my jealth rapidly improved, I gained weight again, and I could easily walk 2 or 3 miles without becoming breathless and had no joint or other pains. Healthwise, I now find myself back to where I was in 2013, having to stop walking after 50 yards or so to rest. On two occasions over the past week, I passed out for a few minutes. Last year, I had to give up Yoga classes, as I became exhausted after 30 minutes. I used to be able to do the full 1 1/2 hour sesion with no problems.

My question is about Humilin 3 Insulin, this is 30% short acting and 70% long acting. Is it possible that a person can become resistant to a particular Insulin? I have noticed that it seems to take a very long time now after injecting for my blood suger to come down. Without Insulin in the blood stream, waste products from cells can not be processed and exchanged for nutrients. I am wondering if this is why I am feeling like I have entered God's waiting room.
If you are type 2 then you can very much become resistant to insulin (your own and whatever you inject) so it is likely you would need increasing doses to control blood sugars but its only right to point out that having good blood sugars achieved by lots of insulin will make complications more likely than if you were to treat your diabetes with a low carb approach.
If you are taking insulin though you need to be careful about not going too low if you try to change how much sugar/starch you're eating. Hopefully you've got a blood glucose meter?
There is lots of info on this approach on this site and Diet Doctor.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We all worry about complications, me more than most having already had 2 eye related complications the first only a month after my diabetes diagnosis and with having strict control, as for treating with lots of insulin making complications more likely I don't see that, you need what you need insulin wise and thats all there is to it xx

M

Member496333

We all worry about complications, me more than most having already had 2 eye related complications the first only a month after my diabetes diagnosis and with having strict control, as for treating with lots of insulin making complications more likely I don't see that, you need what you need insulin wise and thats all there is to it xx

Excess insulin is damaging to health and can lead to all kinds of metabolic problems. T2 being just one.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excess insulin is damaging to health and can lead to all kinds of metabolic problems. T2 being just one.
If an insulin user then your body needs what it needs, end of, even if you lower carbs your background may not lower as that keeps you steady in the absence of food anyway, if you were a user then you'd realise you do what you can to stay within range and seen as its the only thing keeping many of us alive there is no option

M

Member496333

If an insulin user then your body needs what it needs, end of, even if you lower carbs your background may not lower as that keeps you steady in the absence of food anyway, if you were a user then you'd realise you do what you can to stay within range and seen as its the only thing keeping many of us alive there is no option

I'm pretty well aware of both the physiology and the pathology. All I'm saying is that it's not the same story if you are an insulin resistant type 2 and finding that ever larger doses are needed. If one reaches that stage then it's necessary to reduce the bolus requirement. Throwing more insulin at the problem won't work long term.

From a metabolically healthy type 1 perspective, you are of course correct. However, OP is apparently type 2. They are not the same thing, as I'm sure you're aware.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

This maybe a silly answer to your question.
Do you use one area of the body to inject, or do you rotate to other limbs. Possibly even buttock area?

I have to admit with the BGs as high as you report, I'd Feel like I've just run a marathon before contemplating the exersise you do..

Reactions: EllieM