Type 1 Advice Welcomed

Michelle.A

Hi guys,

I have been a type 1 for 22 years and have recently been switched to a Medtronic 640g and libre sensor.

I am finding my sugars spiking in between my scans and am just that little late on stopping my sugar levels go above the normal range.

I am looking to create the closed loop system and have read previous comments but a little confused. As the CGM Medtronic sell is out of my cost reach...

Could some of you tech savvy people help me out please? What’s best steps/advice to create this loop to allow CGM.

I have read about MiaoMiao and RileyLink but haven’t fully connected the dots in regards to the purpose of each component/app.

I am heavily mechanical bias so need a little help from the electronics side please.

Oh and lastly I have an Apple XR...

Thanks in advancement.
Michelle

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, just a quicky reply as I’m on shift just now...

Things you need to DIY Loop are a compatible pump and CGM system. You can add a MiaoMiao or Bubble transmitter to your existing Libre create a proper CGM. This will send blood glucose data to your phone every 5 minutes. You need this so that an app on your phone (which you have to build yourself) can tell your pump to adjust how much insulin it gives you every five minutes, based on what it predicts your glucose level will be in the near future. The RileyLink is a little gadget that takes the Bluetooth signal from your phone and converts it into the radio signal your pump understands. The pump feeds back how much insulin it is giving via the Riley to your phone, thus completing the “Loop”.

For an Apple based system, you need: an iPhone, CGM, compatible pump, RileyLink, an Apple developer licence (£89 a year) and either a Mac or a PC running a “virtual Mac” environment. Check out www.loopdocs.org for everything you need.

There are android based systems but I didn’t know much about them, @tim2000s is your man for that.