Cramp in my calf's

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
I do not know if this is related to my diabetes - but I am getting cramp on my calf's when I am out walking.
Some times its on the left one and some times on the right. ( even get this when walking around the shops )
Never had this before and I am just wondering if any of the other members have had the same experience ?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could be walking up hills, lack of magnesium or something more concerning (claudification) so worth checking out with a gp re signs of heart disease (sadly this is linked to diabetes).

• Agree
Reactions: hh1

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Low potassium can cause cramps

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Might be worth while getting your electrolytes checked out.

• Agree
Reactions: Robbity

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alan, your doctor is your first port of call.
There are many reasons for calf cramps.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be walking up hills, lack of magnesium or something more concerning (claudification) so worth checking out with a gp re signs of heart disease (sadly this is linked to diabetes).

That's an alarming post. It's claudication.
Let's hope Alan finds there's no 'F' in claudication.

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
Thank you everybody for your comments- I will be phoning the doctors on Monday morning

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everybody for your comments- I will be phoning the doctors on Monday morning

Let us know what the doc says.
Whatever the reason for your cramps there's a good chance that somebody here can offer personal support.

Reactions: Allan59

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I do not know if this is related to my diabetes - but I am getting cramp on my calf's when I am out walking.
Some times its on the left one and some times on the right. ( even get this when walking around the shops )
Never had this before and I am just wondering if any of the other members have had the same experience ?
I used to suffer badly with calf cramps - rarely do now - they stopped after I added k2 into my vitamin intake.

Reactions: Allan59 and LaoDan

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
Well went to the doctors today- and he said there was nothing wrong with the blood flow to my legs and feet.
Then he said that I have flat feet and that I have to buy these special soles for my shoes.
I never expected to hear this and I will give it a try and see what happens- plus I bought a couple of jars of k2 - I took OrsonKartt
advice

LonelyFatGuy

Well went to the doctors today- and he said there was nothing wrong with the blood flow to my legs and feet.
Then he said that I have flat feet and that I have to buy these special soles for my shoes.
I never expected to hear this and I will give it a try and see what happens- plus I bought a couple of jars of k2 - I took OrsonKartt
advice
Can we get an update on this please...?

Having calf cramps at night these last few weeks myself. Did you find out the cause? Did the K2 help?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@LonelyFatGuy what are your blood sugar levels like when you get cramps?
If I wake with cramps, my levels are usually high.

I don't know if this is unique to me or common.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I think it actually depends when you actually get the cramps and what you are doing at the time.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can we get an update on this please...?

Having calf cramps at night these last few weeks myself. Did you find out the cause? Did the K2 help?
Awful cramps once I went low carb

Late at night in bed, had to get up and try walking it off ...not much fun

Appears the diet isn't as loaded with salt as the prepackaged/processed stuff is.

Magnesium spray was the top tip here .

Worked a treat

Note of warning
Do tell others it's an EXTERNAL spray for skin .

We had several oral sprays B12, turmeric etc

Got up one morning, missus with a disgusted look on her face

"What's wrong. !! "

Got cramp , your sprays useless

....and it tastes disgusting. !!!

No harm done, but it still makes me chuckle...

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I usually get cramp in my legs, ankles after working 12 and 1/2 hour shifts on my feet my dr prescribed quinine that seems to work for me.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

MarcoWonder

I'm not sure if you have pickle juice in the UK but that really helps me. I've used bananas but it never acted very fast and the pain was significant. Kudos to you for maintaining your walking. Great exercise!

• Informative

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Years ago before I was diabetic I was on diuretics, and the fluid and resulting magnesium loss often caused very painful cramps in my calves. My solution then was regular consumption of high potassium content bananas.

When I started eating low carb I got similar cramps, due to initial loss of extra fluids & electrolytes. As bananas are now off limits I found alternative high potassium & magnesium content foods (thank you Google! :):hungry:) which solved my diabetic crampy issues. Lack of salt can also be an issue, but I've always been a fairly heavy salt user. Since I settled into low carbing I now rarely have any serious cramps.

• Informative

LonelyFatGuy

@LonelyFatGuy what are your blood sugar levels like when you get cramps?
If I wake with cramps, my levels are usually high.

I don't know if this is unique to me or common.
My waking level seems pretty consistent. However, I've noticed a slight increase in level when I test 2 hours after breakfast. Seemed to coincide with the cramps showing up... can't help but wonder if it is indeed related, and there's been a deterioration in my condition. (I eat the same thing every day)

I was also taking Atorvastatin though. I stopped it pretty much straight away after the first few cramps (as per it's own included information sheet). Been on it about 3 years, so it would maybe seem a bit strange to me for a side-effect like that to turn up now. I'm staying off it for the rest of the month, at least, to see if anything improves.

I'm not "low carb", so it can't be that... The surgery said a week or two ago that my electrolytes were 'satisfactory'. Presumably the electrolyte panel they do includes magnesium...?

Not really sure what the cause is at the minute.

• Informative

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
I can really sympathise. I get cramp very regularly during the night; it can be in my calves, in my upper legs between thigh and groin, in my ankles(that's a fairly new one) so a real problem. The doctor prescribed quinine but doesn't like me taking it all the time but I can get away with a half tablet. It seems to come in waves, so I might have four or five nights in a row, then I'm OK for a few weeks. My doctor did blood tests and my iron levels are low as well as the B12 which I already knew. So now on iron tablets and there is a slight improvement.
I wish you well and hope something helps for you.

• Hug

Mike Solomons

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I figured this out for myself in 1986. A neurologist confirmed it in 2020. Obviously I do not know what causes your problem, I can only tell you what I found. In brief, (summing up 36 years in a short post is difficult!), I found that not wearing underpants made a huge difference, I went from walking a few hundred yards maximum to miles by that simple step. When it got worse, I used salty food to increase blood pressure, that also made a big difference, (my natural blood pressure is good but I now take drugs to reduce to typically 110/64 with no ill effects). The final big move was that a neurologist confirmed the "no underpants" therapy and also advised vitamin B12. I was prescribed Cyanocobalamin. Result, at 74 years of age, my walking is limited only by my boredom factor - I can walk as far as I like, certainly miles, (though I don't often). I also cycle. I have fairly well controlled type 2 diabetes, diagnosed in 1985. I hope this helps.