Was in Remission now concerned

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I have not posted here for years as I managed to get my diabetes into remission with l ow Carb vegetarian meals and stayed there for over 5 years. However, the last few weeks I have been sleepy after meals and my morning levels have gone from between 5 and 6 to 8.7 over a couple of days. I have been rather on and off the low carb diet during this pandemic as I am having everything delivered and not going near the shops since March. By the end of the week the fresh veg are more or less finished and we are having more carby meals. Has anyone any advice please. I am quite concerned by this change.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Butternut squashes are great as they keep ages. I hardly ever ate them as I have arthritis and they are so difficult to peel. Last week I saw that you can cook them whole in the microwave; I know I thought that too but they don't explode!!!! You cook the medium sized ones for three and a half to four minutes, turn them over and cook for the same time. They are delicious and you can eat the skin and the seeds as well as they are soft. I cut mine in half and put grated cheese on them and they are really yummy. You could add a different topping for a change and sprinkle them with grated cheese (how I had mine), nuts, spices, herbs etc to make them taste different. It would stop you needing to have carby foods. They keep several weeks so long as it isn't hot.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Butternut squashes are great as they keep ages. I hardly ever ate them as I have arthritis and they are so difficult to peel.
That’s useful to know, I too have arthritis and had given up on butternut squash because of the difficulty peeling them.
Back to @Moogie1947 ’s post though I always keep some vegetables in the freezer for the ‘wrong end’ of the week when the fresh veg and salad are running low.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Moogie
Are you perhaps poorly with a cold or infection?
Are you on any medication for anything?
Both those could cause bg rises, but if as you suspect its food related due to the increased carbs over a period of time then you can correct it by perhaps fasting more or cutting the carbs more. Frozen veg are as good as fresh, or couple 9f carnivore days a week might be better for you.
Try tracking your food using one of the apps . That will show where the carbs have crept in.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I only get one food delivery a week so often rely on frozen or dried veg and fruit by the end of the week, plus cheese and ham omelettes.
I bought some dried berries, plus dried broccoli, cauliflower and leeks - the dried and frozen berries are good in yogurt and dried cauliflower with leek/broccoli makes a good cauliflower cheese if you reconstitute the veg in milk & water. I have frozen rhubarb to make a ground almond topped 'crumble' when it is out of season.
I bought the dried berries and veg from a couple of ebay shops, and from buywholefoodsonline.
I can't eat much butternut squash, too high carb for me, but frozen cauliflower rice is good or fresh courgettes keep well. (I have a cheap hand spiralizer for prepping courgettes.)
I always have extra eggs and cheese in the fridge and some chicken portions and fish in the freezer, but you could store tofu for protein? And frozen avocado is good for making guacamole, etc.
I also found an online shop that sells dried whole eggs - not a great substitute in scrambled egg or omelettes but a tablespoon makes up a good low carb mug cake.
I keep a few tins of coconut milk and tomatoes in stock. I also have some cartons of UHT cream (one that does not have sugar or thickeners in).
All this plus ground almonds and coconut flour for making low carb bread and cake means if the online order fails, as it did the first 3 weeks of lockdown, I have enough stock to make low carb meals.

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Butternut squashes are great as they keep ages. I hardly ever ate them as I have arthritis and they are so difficult to peel. Last week I saw that you can cook them whole in the microwave; I know I thought that too but they don't explode!!!! You cook the medium sized ones for three and a half to four minutes, turn them over and cook for the same time. They are delicious and you can eat the skin and the seeds as well as they are soft. I cut mine in half and put grated cheese on them and they are really yummy. You could add a different topping for a change and sprinkle them with grated cheese (how I had mine), nuts, spices, herbs etc to make them taste different. It would stop you needing to have carby foods. They keep several weeks so long as it isn't hot.
Thanks for this microwave tip, I always have butternut squash and we roast it in cubes with other veg like shallots and then add feta or goats cheese before it is finished You can roast them whole or halved in the oven with skins on too.. I often pop the seeds in too. You're right it is delicious but not as low carb as all that.

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only get one food delivery a week so often rely on frozen or dried veg and fruit by the end of the week, plus cheese and ham omelettes.
I bought some dried berries, plus dried broccoli, cauliflower and leeks - the dried and frozen berries are good in yogurt and dried cauliflower with leek/broccoli makes a good cauliflower cheese if you reconstitute the veg in milk & water. I have frozen rhubarb to make a ground almond topped 'crumble' when it is out of season.
I bought the dried berries and veg from a couple of ebay shops, and from buywholefoodsonline.
I can't eat much butternut squash, too high carb for me, but frozen cauliflower rice is good or fresh courgettes keep well. (I have a cheap hand spiralizer for prepping courgettes.)
I always have extra eggs and cheese in the fridge and some chicken portions and fish in the freezer, but you could store tofu for protein? And frozen avocado is good for making guacamole, etc.
I also found an online shop that sells dried whole eggs - not a great substitute in scrambled egg or omelettes but a tablespoon makes up a good low carb mug cake.
I keep a few tins of coconut milk and tomatoes in stock. I also have some cartons of UHT cream (one that does not have sugar or thickeners in).
All this plus ground almonds and coconut flour for making low carb bread and cake means if the online order fails, as it did the first 3 weeks of lockdown, I have enough stock to make low carb meals.
Thanks for this - I mostly do all that except for the dried fruit and veg. However I keep lots of frozen. I alternate Sainsbury's and a vegetable box company weekly and top up with the odd bits from the milkman who delivers cheese, eggs, yoghurt and some fruit and veg etc. I just seem to run out of somethings quite quickly as they are favourite as there are 3 of us. I grow my own rhubarb, and a few raspberries and blueberries, plus courgettes, marrows, onions, shallots, chillies, tomatoes and beans as well as salad leaves this year. It doesn't last long although we were nearly self sufficient in those during the summer and have some onions and shallots and chillis still.
I had the same problem in the first few weeks of lockdown with an order cancelled on the first day then impossible to get a slot for ages. I usually keep my freezer full of stuff including nut cutlets etc and buy low carb bread at Waitrose and Sainsburys but got some low carb bread mix from Amazon. The larder is also stuffed with things but I cannot eat tofu and find almonds cause stomach ache. We had a croustade last night made with an almond base and mushrooms in a creamy sauce on top - sauce made with buckwheat flour.

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Moogie
Are you perhaps poorly with a cold or infection?
Are you on any medication for anything?
Both those could cause bg rises, but if as you suspect its food related due to the increased carbs over a period of time then you can correct it by perhaps fasting more or cutting the carbs more. Frozen veg are as good as fresh, or couple 9f carnivore days a week might be better for you.
Try tracking your food using one of the apps . That will show where the carbs have crept in.
Thank you for this - I hadn't considered that. I am on high blood pressure meds but they don't usually cause problems. No other meds. But I haven't been feeling great, I thought it was the high sugar levels as I was so tired for a few days. I think I know where the carbs come from but struggle to feed husband and son things they like without having some myself. Some flour creeps in sometimes as I dust halloumi chips with flour and paprika before frying also use it in cheese sauce alternatives just aren't as delicious or thick.. I will try without the flour. I need to stop buying sweet treats for them as I cannot resist if they are in the house. But this cannot be the only reason as levels only went up the other day. I've hardly been out anywhere since March to catch a cold or anything. Except to the dentist and opticians recently - they were all masked up though.

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s useful to know, I too have arthritis and had given up on butternut squash because of the difficulty peeling them.
Back to @Moogie1947 ’s post though I always keep some vegetables in the freezer for the ‘wrong end’ of the week when the fresh veg and salad are running low.
That's a good idea but I always have lots of veg in the freezer as we are all 3 vegetarians. I use lots of carrots, swede and celeriac which all keep quite well for a week or so. I find we need one of those with things like vegeburgers or low carb souffle or one of those types of dishes where the veg are all separate. I use a sauce/dip made from a crushed garlic clove and full fat yoghurt. Sometimes I replace the garlic with a small spoonful of chipotle paste or a dash of tabasco. You wouldn't know it was just a simple yoghurt base. It is the protein element that gets dull, just cheese and eggs and nuts mainly as pulses are not low carb.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You can do the same with swede. It takes a bit longer, but it's magical!

If you fancy exploring that, search "singing swede" on YouTube. (Yes, it does "sing" as it cooks.)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a good idea but I always have lots of veg in the freezer as we are all 3 vegetarians. I use lots of carrots, swede and celeriac which all keep quite well for a week or so. I find we need one of those with things like vegeburgers or low carb souffle or one of those types of dishes where the veg are all separate. I use a sauce/dip made from a crushed garlic clove and full fat yoghurt. Sometimes I replace the garlic with a small spoonful of chipotle paste or a dash of tabasco. You wouldn't know it was just a simple yoghurt base. It is the protein element that gets dull, just cheese and eggs and nuts mainly as pulses are not low carb.

Do you eat tofu at all?

For some reason, this thread has been dormant for a while. I think some of the vegetarians on-forum post on the general LC What have you eaten today thread.

If it was helpful to you, you could join in there too, however, this thread might offer you some ideas?

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarians-what-have-you-eaten-today.88074/

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you eat tofu at all?

For some reason, this thread has been dormant for a while. I think some of the vegetarians on-forum post on the general LC What have you eaten today thread.

If it was helpful to you, you could join in there too, however, this thread might offer you some ideas?

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarians-what-have-you-eaten-today.88074/
Hi I am not keen on Tofu - I find soy beans in many forms upset my digestion.
Thanks for the verge forum link. I used to be on that years ago. I think I found the problem with my levels - possibly a faulty meter or old strips. Haven't been testing regularly for the last few years as I was in remission. However, bought a brand new Kineti meter on Sunday and it is faulty so now have to return it and the strips and lancets, how annoying, I will need to go out to the local parcel shop at the Co-op which I haven't done since March.