What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B 2 scrambled eggs with cheese before a walk with a girl friend. I sooo miss girly chat so it was great.
Then 2 hours digging gardening, removing some plants that have got too many to replace them tomorrow with some from elsewhere that need more room

D: first casserole of the winter season, a piece of brisket cooked in red wine and water with carrots and leeks, served with cauliflower, a few sprouts and the last of the garden green beans.
A spoon of yoghurt, 4 walnuts and 6 blueberries and 1 sq 85% chocolate
Oh, and a glass of the red wine

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Squash pics as mentioned in previous post.
Don't think it is a round courgette, the striations on the skin are yellowish, and the flesh inside is firm and orange. Not at all sweet or fibrous. Texture: bit firmer than butternut squash when cooked.
View attachment 44715View attachment 44716

Lizzy - Could it be a marrow of some sort?

When do you head to UK? Hopefully, you'll be in a Tier 3 area.

Edited to say, I meant Tier 1 - the one where the Rule of 6 and sense is in play, not the heavier lockdown one! That would be awful, and I wouldn't wish it upon you or anyone else.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Mandy20

Nice casserole @Annb

My BS readings are lower than 3 weeks ago, they no longer spike up above the blue line on the libre (around 7.8).
Overnight was 4.7 (libre) and 5.7 at dawn, back down to 4.8 at 8am.

Breakfast - porridge, 1/2 pear, 6 blueberries, yoghourt - that took me up from 4.8 to 6.2 but back down to 4.8 within 2 hours
Lunch - 1 piece bacon in a naughty whole meal pita bread - up from 4.9 to 7.6 for 1.5 hrs, then down to 3.8 (??really) then 5.2 at 3 hrs after food and a 5 mile walk.
Dinner - vegetable lentil soup and 1 Keto roll, 1 egg frittata with leftover carrot and swede - it’s 6.5 1 to 1.5 hrs later (from 4.9)

I’m beginning to understand what’s happening. I can get away with porridge and fruit provided I’ve been good the day before.
A ‘good’ meal raises my BS by a stable 1.6 points at 1-2 hours..
But bread really spikes me (3 points today) and if it wasn’t for the 5 mile walk, I would have spiked much higher.
That gives me a good understanding, and I can now compare other foods against this formula.
Of course the libre reads low, but I’ll calibrate it against the GP monitor tomorrow when I have my flu jab.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and white chocolate phd.
Late lunch: left over prawn cocktail followed by Greek yoghurt, strawberries and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: roast chicken, one tiny roast potato, mixed veggies, gravy made with meat juices thickened with flax followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- cronometer.com is web-based, possibly there is an app too, but not sure.
@DJC3 -- Meat liquor?
@Antje77 -- Agree with @DCUKMod -- chicken drumsticks is a great idea. I have wonderful recipe given to me by a very good friend from Taiwan -- marinade in soy sauce, cinnamon (go lightly on the cinnamon) and garlic cloves for about 6 hours, put on a baking/roasting tray and bake for about half an hour at 200 degrees or until done.
@PenguinMum -- So happy that you are continuing to do well.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with h/m mayonnaise and turkey salami. The remainder of the egg liqueur cake.

Dinner: About 90g chicken liver pate, 20g of 88% chocolate and about 150g of skirt steak. Some dry red wine.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Today's food:

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami. Two scrambled eggs with prawns fried in ginger-garlic paste and sambal oelek. Edit to add: Half a fig.

Dinner: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and turkey salami, 20g of 88% chocolate, dry red wine. Maybe a piece of cheese later.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@SlimLizzy you have discovered the peanut squash lol! I've never seen that; if you find out what it is let us know :) @maglil55 I don't think acorn squash-- my memory of that (don't ever cook it since I found butternut) is that it's more fibrous inside?
@Antje77 those look great, but less "finger food" than what I'm aiming for. And no jalapeño!!!
Food today was ordinary except for the overdose of chocolate and the carby thing that it was in. Please avert eyes. In fact, I ate so much chocolate I gave myself a visual migraine-- the zig-zag "aura"! First I thought my reading glasses were dirty, then I thought I suddenly had macular degeneration as there was a blind spot, and finally it expanded enough that I could see the zig-zags, and heave a sigh of relief!
Supper now a grilled portabella mushrump with blue cheese melted on, more cheese, a little spinach, cherry tomatoes, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Goodnight all, sleep well, good morning come morning! We still have a few katydids and scads of crickets to lull us all to sleep.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hug for the migraine @zauberflote. Cronometer is available as an app (I’m assuming the person - @DJC3 ?- who asked wants this version but I have it on Android). Got the goose yesterday but had to remove a haunch of vension from a freezer for the room. No idea what to do with all that meat but maybe treat the dogs after their Friday Euncuching. My food will be B=Tea; Dockey:Tea; L= Turkey salami and cucumber sandwich+leaves +more cucumber (M bread) - tea; EM = Mackerel and avocado salad with 2 tbls of whole flaxseeds.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- cronometer.com is web-based, possibly there is an app too, but not sure.
@DJC3 -- Meat liquor?

Thanks for cronometer info.
Meat liquor sounds horrible doesn’t it? Don’t know why I wrote it lol. The meat was started off in the slow cooker with a cup of water and some herbs, then finished with a spice rub in a hot oven , what I called liquor was just the left over liquid in the slow cooker, strained and reduced with added cream to make the gravy.
Your chicken drumstick recipe sounds very tasty, my butcher doesn’t often have drumsticks but it’s so convenient to have a batch ready in the fridge isn’t it?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday bed 6.3 FBG 6.1 - Last swimming lesson for this block. Got a whole week and one day off for half term now. Managed to make an appointment at the eye Pavilion for Thursday though. @zauberflote - it was a thing like this that hit me - twice! I always joked he didn't kill me first time so came back for a second swipe. I discounted the Acorn Squash as I thought the exterior didn't look right. Only other one I thought was a possibility was a kabocha.
B. TAG and a bit later, an egg mayo sandwich on 2 slices of SLC bread before heading off to swimming lessons with the boys.
L. Nothing.
D. Ususal campari and soda and a wee prosecco as well. Dinner had been cooking very slowly all the time I was away. This is one dish I can really recommend to the carnivores. Spotted it on the Hairy Bikers last week when they were doing warming winter dishes, thought it looked delicious and it is! For once I didn't muck about with the recipe other than I cooked it in a very slow oven for 5 hours. Had the Feather bone with cauliflower mash and mixed greens. Loved it so much I'm having it again tonight. 2 squares 85%.

The feather bone is called spale bone here and I believe it is flat iron in the USA. It's cut from the shoulder of the beef. This recipe makes it so tender it was like cutting through butter. Recipe is also on my CMT. I didn't want to lose this one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/braised_feather_blade_49306
articulated-lorry.jpg

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday bed 6.3 FBG 6.1 - Last swimming lesson for this block. Got a whole week and one day off for half term now. Managed to make an appointment at the eye Pavilion for Thursday though. @zauberflote - it was a thing like this that hit me - twice! I always joked he didn't kill me first time so came back for a second swipe. I discounted the Acorn Squash as I thought the exterior didn't look right. Only other one I thought was a possibility was a kabocha.
B. TAG and a bit later, an egg mayo sandwich on 2 slices of SLC bread before heading off to swimming lessons with the boys.
L. Nothing.
D. Ususal campari and soda and a wee prosecco as well. Dinner had been cooking very slowly all the time I was away. This is one dish I can really recommend to the carnivores. Spotted it on the Hairy Bikers last week when they were doing warming winter dishes, thought it looked delicious and it is! For once I didn't muck about with the recipe other than I cooked it in a very slow oven for 5 hours. Had the Feather bone with cauliflower mash and mixed greens. Loved it so much I'm having it again tonight. 2 squares 85%.

The feather bone is called spale bone here and I believe it is flat iron in the USA. It's cut from the shoulder of the beef. This recipe makes it so tender it was like cutting through butter. Recipe is also on my CMT. I didn't want to lose this one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/braised_feather_blade_49306View attachment 44720
Hug is for the horror of that crash. That recipe looks like one I could cope with - Ox cheek?- when some filler is added so thank you very much.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hug is for the horror of that crash. That recipe looks like one I could cope with - Ox cheek?- when some filler is added so thank you very much.
It was a long time ago @ianpspurs. I've always been quite positive about it since not long afterwards, an entire family were wiped out at almost the same point on the M6 in a pretty much identical type of crash. Always regarded it as one of my strangest moments Closing the M6 because I was walloped twice by a Hungarian called Attila, ending up in A&E in Crewe being treated by a very nice German doctor and the luck of having motorway police 3 cars back from me as they were the best witnesses ever when Atilla tried to say I deliberately drove my car into his 40 ton wagon at 70 mph. On the plus side I got to retire at 53 which would have been impossible otherwise.

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That feather blade recipe sounds very similar to the casserole I threw together yesterday using a brisket joint.
Some of the leftovers were blitzed today with a leek and a couple carrot and a bit of gravy under a top of celeriac mash with a side of crispy kale to be a lc cottage pie.

The final portion of meat will go into sons lunch box tomorrow. So 8 good man size portions from an £8 joint.

I had my cottage pie at lunchtime aiming for omad, but an exercise class, extra exercises as dictated by the physio and a bout of heavy gardening means I've been picking since at a nut Yes bar and 2 squares 85%. Must make that it foodwise for today

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and some pecans.
Dinner: gammon steak with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual black coffee all morning.
Lunch 2 slices of the Schwarzbrot as open sandwiches topped with mozzarella and salami ( one of the characters in the book I’m reading ate a mozzarella and salami roll sitting outside a cafe. It gave me a yen for similar)
Dinner: feta, spinach and cherry tomato omelette followed by strawberries and cream. It’s a bit late to still be eating but I’m having a couple of squares of orange Montezuma’s now with a cuppa.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Might be a kabocha squash but they usually have a seedy hollow in the middle. Acorn squash I thought about but exterior is normally shaped in segments. Kabocha has loads of roasting recipes.
Kabocha looks as if it is segmented and grows downward like a pumpkin. This squash is oval bit like a small rugby ball.

Battery to low to post

Last edited by a moderator:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - cheese on crispbread. Very quick meal before Em arrived for the day.

Her Dad had given her a lunchbox of ham and cheese wraps, a small box of raisins and an apple. She ate it (with about a pint of milk) within half an hour of arriving so for lunch we shared a platter of Parma ham, salami, cheese slices (Dairylea) plus some tomato slices and some cucumber slices. Em had all the cucumber and all but one slice of tomato and most of the rest. She had brought her toy penguin with her and insisted that "Pengie" needed lunch as well so she raided the larder and found a tin of sardines, another of anchovies, a Kit Kat biscuit and some more raisins with which she made a lunch box for "Pengie". She does realise that the toy is not real but "I'm just pretending, Grannie". She didn't open the tinned fish, but she took it home with her this evening. She spent most of the day teaching Pengie in an arithmetic class, then a spelling class, then an art class and a PE class (have you ever seen a stuffed penguin toy doing press ups?)

Just as well she was happy to entertain herself today because I was feeling pretty poorly. Should have phoned the doctor but didn't manage it. I did get a phone call giving me an appointment next Wednesday for my colonoscopy. Also a letter asking me to make an appointment for next Monday for my flu jab. Had to phone to say I didn't think I should risk being unwell from the jab when I was meant to be going in for the procedure. Next appointment available is 9 November.

Struggling to settle my stomach and eventually - about 8.30 - decided what I needed was some carbs, so took some home made chips out of the freezer and finished them off in the oven with some butter. Just about one potato's worth. It was what I needed and my stomach feels a bit stronger now.