ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
My surgery says midnight the night before, and only water the next morning. They tend to book diabetics in for the first blood test spots.

Reactions: Tiff0543

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The testing for fasting blood levels can be done anytime before your first meal of the day, because of dawn phenomenon, it is better to do it about an hour after you get up.

If you notice, I didn't say breakfast, even though that is what it means.
That is because some of us fast until the afternoon, some of us, have a cuppa first and eat a bit later, then there are some of us (I wish) who don't need to get up too early, and some of us work shifts.

So, the idea of using fasting levels as a marker and seeing what difference you are making has to be regimented and organised to help with whatever you want to achieve.
A food diary is a really good idea along with blood glucose levels, you track how well you are doing.

Keep safe.

Reactions: Tiff0543

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So are you saying that if I wait after I get out of bed my fasting blood sugar will actually become lower? I have noticed that if I take a FBS at 6.30 and then go back to sleep by 8.30- 9a.m. - the time I would normally take it , it will be higher. I thought I had to eat breakfast even if I m not hungry to kick it into working and going down?
I am worried because of my high FBS - take today. It was 7.6 - I had breakfast (a mushroom omelette with home made cottage cheese in it). Since the gym is closed (Tier 3 area) I did a fast 2 km walk and a little later run up and down our stairs 5 times without stopping which I really felt. Apparently it is called anti gravity exercise . 4.5 hours later I was hungry and pleased to find my bs was 5.6 so allowed myself my usual large salad. Usually I will eat again about 5 hours later and BS always in the 5's then. It annoys me that I think my HbA1C is higher than it should be because of dawn phenomenon but I can't find a way to stop it!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So are you saying that if I wait after I get out of bed my fasting blood sugar will actually become lower? I have noticed that if I take a FBS at 6.30 and then go back to sleep by 8.30- 9a.m. - the time I would normally take it , it will be higher. I thought I had to eat breakfast even if I m not hungry to kick it into working and going down?
I am worried because of my high FBS - take today. It was 7.6 - I had breakfast (a mushroom omelette with home made cottage cheese in it). Since the gym is closed (Tier 3 area) I did a fast 2 km walk and a little later run up and down our stairs 5 times without stopping which I really felt. Apparently it is called anti gravity exercise . 4.5 hours later I was hungry and pleased to find my bs was 5.6 so allowed myself my usual large salad. Usually I will eat again about 5 hours later and BS always in the 5's then. It annoys me that I think my HbA1C is higher than it should be because of dawn phenomenon but I can't find a way to stop it!!
No ... We're saying that fasting blood glucose levels are usually taken when you get up in the morning so if you get up normally at 6.30 then at that time. If you want to measure at other times thats fine too but the FBG would be the first of the day. For the sake of consistency then its done just after you get out of bed. My routine is to get up, pee, weigh then do blood sugar.