Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Hi all
So i woke up this morn my blood was 16 took my novarapid.
Havent checked blood till now which was 13 and ive eaten nothing since last night.
I take 17 units of levimir at night.
So wood that tell u that i need to increase my night levimir to get a better resting number more in the 5-7 zone

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You need more data. You need to eat a carb-free dinner (or skip dinner) to check your basal. Make sure you finger prick at bedtime and on waking. Also, most people take a split dose Levemir twice a day as it doesn't last 24 hours.
I hope you get it sorted soon.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
So i woke up this morn my blood was 16 took my novarapid. ... I take 17 units of levimir at night.
So wood that tell u that i need to increase my night levimir to get a better resting number more in the 5-7 zone
Maybe. I would want to see a pattern before changing basal dosage, though. Does this happen every day? And what was your blood glucose before going to bed?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi all
So i woke up this morn my blood was 16 took my novarapid.
Havent checked blood till now which was 13 and ive eaten nothing since last night.
I take 17 units of levimir at night.
first thing is to look at basal testing to ensure your background dose is right for you .... best site is mysugr.com for looking at basal testing --- also --- speak to your care team for advice ..........

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Most people inject Levemir twice a day, a split dose. Is that what you do @Gaffer type 1?
Is this the first time your blood test results have been that high on waking?
There are a few causes of high blood sugars so it’s worth going through a process of elimination: illness or infection; more carbohydrate at a meal than the bolus can cover; stress; insufficient basal (Levemir); basal dose active profile (its active time) has ceased; poor sleep. There may be more that others can add.
If your waking with a 16 is a one off then it’s likely to be something other than the Levemir dose that caused it.
We can’t tell you what to do, we can only really say what’s worked for us and share our experiences and what we’ve learned.
If you give us more information then we could make suggestions, but we can’t tell you what to do.
Maybe a call to your DSN would help too?
Good luck.

Last edited: