Type 2 Diabetes taking Vitamin D3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
Anyone taking vitamin D3 with any noticeable results
Thinking of taking during winter lack of sunlight but read that they are a benifit for insulin in diabetes
Would welcome any feedback
Thanks and stay safe
D

Reactions: Rose22

62Karen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on injected vit D cause my levels are in my boots. Even before the injections and trying tablets my vit D dropped in winter, I also have low B12 it all goes together. If your seeing an endocrinologist let them know

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Anyone taking vitamin D3 with any noticeable results
Thinking of taking during winter lack of sunlight but read that they are a benifit for insulin in diabetes
Would welcome any feedback
Thanks and stay safe
D
I was given a course from gp to boost me as was low last year, I’d gone with achy legs thinking maybe low iron, but was v surprised they said low vit d. It helped legs felt much better! I now take every day as advised by dietician through the autumn winter months. I also think it was from taking metformin, but that’s just my opinion.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I take VitD and K2.... numerous benefits to doing so.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a high dose of D3 and K2 for bone health but have realised lately that it is also good for other issues (like Covid-19) so I wouldn't be surprised if it also is beneficial for anyone with T2D.

Reactions: SMS1

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
D3 and K2, not too high dose since I live on the equator and play in the sun all day

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2000 ui per day vitamin d3 ( something I read - don’t know if it’s the right amount for everyone).

Reactions: Krystyna23040

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was taking vit d3 and k2 the normal levels recommended for d3 are fine for bone density but the immune system it seems requires a level somewhat higher in order to function properly am not too certain about k2 for me as i take aspirin daily to reduce the likelihood of blood clots and k2 would tend to nullify that so I am not taking it at the moment.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Taking D3 and K2 . No noticeable effect but (famous last words) I don't seem to get much in the way of long lasting colds etc.
Interestingly just taking a supplement may not boost your levels if you are also very insulin resistant meaning D levels are a marker of metabolic ill health rather than a maker of them.
The small Spainish trial on Covid patients gave those patients vitamin D3 in its active form so I as understand it their bodies did not have to do the conversion work.
My take from this is that we should all keep up with the low carb + exercise regime + stress management routines to give our immune systems the best chance in Winter.

Reactions: robin47 and HSSS

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I take D3 and K2 in spray form as absorption across the gut wall decreases with age. This was originally to help with bone health but may now also have a protective role in other health conditions. I had a blood test for Vit D last week at came in at 88 (can't remember the unit). Lower end of normal range but this range varies considerably depending on which country you are in.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I take vitamin D3 and vitamin C
Have noticed I generally feel better for taking them

Reactions: JohnEGreen