T2 High Cholesterol/Pain/WeightLoss

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have been on LCHF diet since diagnosis. I have got my BG readings down to 42 and deemed to be in remission/pre disabetic/or even not diabetic at all depending on which medical practitioner I speak to at my surgery.

However, my cholesterol has steadily risen from 5.5 to 8.5 so much so that in July one GP has told me to reduce high fats in my diet.

This I have done and have very little high fat foods in my diet now - I have one egg for breakfast each day, the occasional piece of cheese and use semi skimmed milk. I have also cut out nuts in my diet as I seem to have an intolerance. This had led to a big reduction in calories.

The result has been a 4lb weight loss and I now weigh just over 8st. I’ve always been around that weight until a couple of years before being diagnosed when my weight crept up to just over 9st.

I’ve been experiencing mid, left hand side pain over the last couple of weeks and saw a GP who thinks it’s probably indigestion as I don’t have any other significant symptoms. He suggested Gaviscon type liquid which I’m taking but so far not really helping.

My question is could this pain be related to cutting out high fat foods? I did mention to the GP that I’d cut out most high fat foods.

I’m getting my cholesterol tested again in December.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Wondering what your previous diet looked like, and what your diet looks like currently. I wonder if making adjustments might be a better approach than drastically cutting fats. Are you able to exercise?

Ive increased my protein intake and I’ve been eating some carbs, but only after exercise. My BG is still behaving. Sorry, I can’t comment on the pain

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, what are your cholesterol ratios if you don't mind telling us? x

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Did you fast for the cholesterol test? 12 - 14hrs recommended. Also, was it a complete lipid panel or just a total cholesterol and trigs only test?

Also, how long have you been on the LCHF diet? Lipids need to time to adjust to the new way eating.

I'd put your weight loss down to the reduction in good healthy fats, these are nutrient dense foods you've cutout. I wouldn't cut them out myself or I'd drop weight quickly also. They are also an essential good source of fatty acids. It seems the GP you spoke with is rather out of date when it comes cholesterol and diet advice. Your body produces 80% of it and the rest comes from diet. Your body will make up the shortfall if you don't consume enough of it from food. And it is essential. Personally I'd never ask a GP for advice on diet.

I don't know about your side pain, could be a lot of reasons. Obviously we can't diagnose a problem, but perhaps someone else here will relate to that.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have been on LCHF diet since diagnosis. I have got my BG readings down to 42 and deemed to be in remission/pre disabetic/or even not diabetic at all depending on which medical practitioner I speak to at my surgery.

However, my cholesterol has steadily risen from 5.5 to 8.5 so much so that in July one GP has told me to reduce high fats in my diet.

This I have done and have very little high fat foods in my diet now - I have one egg for breakfast each day, the occasional piece of cheese and use semi skimmed milk. I have also cut out nuts in my diet as I seem to have an intolerance. This had led to a big reduction in calories.

The result has been a 4lb weight loss and I now weigh just over 8st. I’ve always been around that weight until a couple of years before being diagnosed when my weight crept up to just over 9st.

I’ve been experiencing mid, left hand side pain over the last couple of weeks and saw a GP who thinks it’s probably indigestion as I don’t have any other significant symptoms. He suggested Gaviscon type liquid which I’m taking but so far not really helping.

My question is could this pain be related to cutting out high fat foods? I did mention to the GP that I’d cut out most high fat foods.

You've done a great job in reducing your insulin and glucose levels and both those things will do the most to help prevent heart disease which I guess is the reason for your cholesterol concerns?
1)A high cholesterol reading does not mean you are heading for heart disease if the low carb diet is the cause. Doctors normally see people who have high LDL cholesterol because they are heading towards diabetes not heading away from it as you are!
2) Having a high trig/hdl (the former should be lower or equal to the latter) ratio (should be on your lipid panel results) would give you a better indicator of whether the high Cho. is a problem.
3) Giving up nutritious foods may also lead to hunger and eating more carbs which will lead to higher sugars again.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The more checking that is done the greater the problem there is with cholesterol - because lowering cholesterol can increase the death rate and having higher cholesterol seems to be found in people who are alive for longer. All the millions of tablets swallowed in the hope of reducing cholesterol seem to have very little benefit, if any at all.
When there was a reduction in the use of statins in France, the death rate was forecast to increase - it had almost the exact opposite effect instead of xxxx extra deaths there were almost exactly that number fewer.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

LadyLovely - where on the left is your pain? Does it come and go, or is it there all the time? When it happens, what do you do to try to help it?

What tests has your doctor already done?

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sorry for the delay in responding and thank you for taking the time to look at this.

With regard to your queries, as far as I was concerned my previous diet was healthy as in I followed government guidelines of low fat, low sugar, pulses, no red meat, fish at least twice a week and plenty of veg & fruit. I ran a hotel for many years and could easily have had a cooked breakfast every day but didn't I normally had oats or weetabix. I regret that now!

My current diet is one egg for breakfast with two slices and LivLife low carb bread and 5g of tomato sauce. Lunch of a big salad (lettuce, tomato, beetroot, gherkin, olives, avocado, half an apple and 5g mayo) with tinned mackerel with the oil or sometimes I will have a sandwich with two slices of LivLife bread with chicken, bacon or cheese with lettuce and tomato. Dinner is usually a selection of three or four veg from broccoli, celeriac, cauliflower, frozen carrot and swede mash, peas and broad beans with chicken or a piece of cod or haddock. I batch cook a chicken curry and have that with frozen cauliflower rice. I occasionally have a full fat greek yogurt with blueberries or half an apple. I also eat a 9g carb Kind bar every day - one half in the morning and one half in the evening. All of this has been tested with my meter and works for me. I have tried to reintroduce porridge and lentils but they raise my BG too high.

Before cutting out fat in an effort to reduce my cholesterol I used to have gold top milk, cream, butter and cheese.

I do exercise. Before March I used to swim three times a week but now that's not an option I have an exercise bike and try and go on it every day and I walk wherever possible. Although retired, I have an active lifestyle as I look after grandchildren after school and during holidays.

Before being diagnosed I didn't really think about food, I ate to live. However since diagnosis it's all I think of and get panicky if I have to go out and worry about if there will be anything suitable for me.

GP is looking into the pain and I'm not unduly worried but just wondered if there could be some link to lack of high fat in my diet.

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

total cholesterol 8.2
HDL 3.9
LDL 3.9
HDL ratio 2.1
Serum non high density lipoprotein level 4.3
Triflyceride 0.80

However, this was a non fasting blood test. My previous readings from a fasting test have shown a better ratio.

GP called and was concerned and offered me statins, again. Not keen on taking statins and said I would cut out high fat food. I did query the ratios and she said that cholesterol was cholesterol!

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LadyLovely - where on the left is your pain? Does it come and go, or is it there all the time? When it happens, what do you do to try to help it?

What tests has your doctor already done?

Sorry for the delay in responding and thank you for taking the time to reply.

The pain is intermittent and sometimes wakes me up. Above belly button but below breast on the left hand side. No other symptoms though. The Gaviscon hasn't made a different GP suggested I try.

GP is sending me for a scan although he thinks its probably indigestion. I'm not unduly worried about the pain but just wondered if anybody knew if there was some connection with the decision to cut out high fats in my diet.

As an aside, while at the consultation he noted that my BG has been brought under control and I should be reclassified and only tested once a year. I don't mind being reclassified but I do want a test more than once a year. I do use a meter but not all the time so surely one should know if things are moving in the wrong direction. He approved my 'lifestyle' choices in bringing my numbers down, which infuriated me as he made it sound as if my previous choices were at fault! The reasons they are under control is down to this website and determined effort on my part which has not been easy as I'm sure everyone on here knows.

Reactions: KK123

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've done a great job in reducing your insulin and glucose levels and both those things will do the most to help prevent heart disease which I guess is the reason for your cholesterol concerns?
1)A high cholesterol reading does not mean you are heading for heart disease if the low carb diet is the cause. Doctors normally see people who have high LDL cholesterol because they are heading towards diabetes not heading away from it as you are!
2) Having a high trig/hdl (the former should be lower or equal to the latter) ratio (should be on your lipid panel results) would give you a better indicator of whether the high Cho. is a problem.
3) Giving up nutritious foods may also lead to hunger and eating more carbs which will lead to higher sugars again.

Thanks Nicole. Your reply is very helpful.

These are my numbers from the last test which was non fasting. Am I right in thinking my numbers are not a cause for concern?

total cholesterol 8.2
HDL 3.9
LDL 3.9
HDL ratio 2.1
Triflyceride 0.80

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

These are my readings from a non fasting test taken last June when the GP called to say she was concerned.

total cholesterol 8.2
HDL 3.9
LDL 3.9
HDL ratio 2.1
Triflyceride 0.80

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These are my readings from a non fasting test taken last June when the GP called to say she was concerned.

total cholesterol 8.2
HDL 3.9
LDL 3.9
HDL ratio 2.1
Triflyceride 0.80

Thank you. Well I am no expert but my goodness they look fab to me. I will tag in @bulkbiker (sorry bulkbiker, we should be paying you by now!). x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for the delay in responding and thank you for taking the time to reply.

The pain is intermittent and sometimes wakes me up. Above belly button but below breast on the left hand side. No other symptoms though. The Gaviscon hasn't made a different GP suggested I try.

GP is sending me for a scan although he thinks its probably indigestion. I'm not unduly worried about the pain but just wondered if anybody knew if there was some connection with the decision to cut out high fats in my diet.

As an aside, while at the consultation he noted that my BG has been brought under control and I should be reclassified and only tested once a year. I don't mind being reclassified but I do want a test more than once a year. I do use a meter but not all the time so surely one should know if things are moving in the wrong direction. He approved my 'lifestyle' choices in bringing my numbers down, which infuriated me as he made it sound as if my previous choices were at fault! The reasons they are under control is down to this website and determined effort on my part which has not been easy as I'm sure everyone on here knows.

Have you lost weight recently, and if so, are you still losing?

Did the pain start before or after you started cutting the fat out? Of, if it was before, how long was it after you started to eat the full fat stuff?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @LadyLovely From my point of view (informed by Low Carb doctors) I would say that those Cholesterol numbers are very good. HDL very high and Triglycerides very low. Congratulations!

I can't think of any reason why your diet should cause the pain you mention. Since it seems to be persistent then it needs to be checked by a doctor.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The pain is intermittent and sometimes wakes me up. Above belly button but below breast on the left hand side.
Have you tired stopping eating earlier in the evening eg up to 4 hours before bed? Also, does the position in which you sleep make a difference? I recently had to change to sleeping on my right side due to a sore left shoulder, and am having more digestive problems in the night as a result.