Food that doesn't affect BS but it should

Ausra

I knew apples never affected my blood sugar much.
I took a test at night time to prove it and here it is:
(I took usuall 10 units basal before night.)

20.52PM - 3.8mmol/L After I tested I ate 1 apple. No insulin.
22.09pm - 3.3mmol/L After I tested I ate 1 more apple. No insulin.
02.46am - 3.2mmol/L After I tested I ate 1 more apple. No insulin.
05.20am - 4.1mmol/L

I think apples does not affect me at all.
Average apple (150g) has 15-20g of carbs, but it has low GI and GL.
So it might be that carbs from apple only kept my sugars stable.
Meat or cheese that has no carbs makes my sugars go high, but not apple, which is fruit.

Does everyone has a food that does not affect blood sugar?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pineapple. I can eat impressive amounts of it without a blip but the scales creep up and it sets a carb craving off.

wiflib

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ausra!

It's apple for me too! Weird isn't it? I just can't work it out. I am so sensitive to most carbs, but apple seems to affect me less than egg! Of all the fruits, apple was not a favorite of mine - now I adore it! Mushroom and cheese omellette I ought to bolus for, but apple, no insulin needed!

p.s. I am very impressed with your committment to your experiment - eating apple at 2.45am :lol:

Smidge

Fallenstar

Nothing, even a bit of brown sauce has to be counted for...and you know what a bit of bacon and you know what a bit of bacon does :lol: ......I'm going to give the apple test a little go A, you have got me started now :roll: :lol:
I will report back!

Hey Ausra, one thing that little test you did does say to me is that your Basal looks a bit high maybe, what do you think? you were low , and even though the apples as you said don't raise you it may have been just too much Lantus, that was dropping you...especially the ,sorry I can't scroll down on this :oops: was it the 4 am ish test...that means you will have had DP probably and you were very low at this time. Is this normal for you in the night? Do you test regularly in the night to get a pattern?

Lantus was that strong for me that it acted like a Bolus sometimes, it could keep dropping me like that through the night or at certain times of the day, and I would have to keep topping up with food to level it out....then the food would "stack up" and I would be high. I find it so different now on the Levemir(sorry to bang on about it) but that really does do what it says on the tin...it is a background insulin ,that stays in the background :lol: .

I will return with the apple test :wink: It is interesting to read about certain foods and how they effect a persons mmol's , and by how many increments...me likey, a lotty!

AMBrennan

I'd blame the high fructose content in apples compared to, say, citrus fruit. Note that fructose ("fruit sugar", but fruit generally contains sucrose, glucose and fructose) has a GI of 19.
I think someone posted a link to a lecture by UCSF's Dr Robert Lustig about the negative effects of high fructose intake.

Ausra

Pineapple is good too..interesting..pine-apple:)

Smidge :) You too..Wow I feel good about this, I wish I had known this before. Now everytime I need snack I'll just eat apples. How cool is that :)

Interesting..why..i guess i'll need to read what Brennan posted about fructose, but not today, too tired..

Fallenstar :D Yeah I did that at night.. I know, crazy isn't it.
My basal is ok, I have reduced it actually from 15 to 10. I didn't eat anything else from 5 pm that evening, that's why my sugars went down. And I did that test at night because at day I can't stay alive eating only apples. I don't test at night usually at all. Only if I have trouble sleeping, then it usually means i am going low. Well good luck with your test, let us know how it goes..but remember, it's not always an apple, it might be pineapple :)

Ausra

Moonstone, i can eat apple not having a hypo and my blood stays still, while if I eat something without carbs at all, like meat or cheese, it goes up fast.
I hate lucozade or anything too sugary and apple definatelly has more then 10 g of carbs.

josie38

Hi Ausra,

I would be concerned if my sugars were the amounts that you posted. To me I would be having hypo symptoms and i wouldn't have gone to bed on that amount either. Personally I think that you should have treated yourself for a hypo as the readings you posted showed that by 5.20am that the sugars in the apples you ate got into your system.

Maybe you could try posting again with some readings that aren't that low to show that your sugars don't go up after eatin an apple.

Josie :D :D

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

I know many of you have to react quickly when your BGs fall into the high 3s, but honeslty, mine can stay there for a long time and it is usually better for me to eat a very small amount of carb e.g. half a ryvita. If I have 100ml of orange juice I shoot up to high levels and then crash down. I think we all have to find the best way to deal with our hypos and instructing everyone to take relatively large amounts of fast-acting carb just because they've fallen slightly below 4 isn't good advice.

Smidge

josie38

Hi,

Smidge - I wasn't giving the advice that the original OP have loads of carbs to treat a hypo, i merely suggested that the sugars posted would have been one for me. I was also suggesting that the OP post what their sugars are during the day after having an apple for instance: maybe testing an hour after eating an apple on a normal day to see if the theory holds up.

I am not saying that they are doing anything wrong, we all have foods which don't affect the sugar levels. I find that most fruit doesn't affect mine. If i had those figures and ate an apple then mine wouldn't shoot up either.

I like the fact the Ausra has found something that doesn't send them high :D :D :D :D It can be a difficult thing to do. :D :D :D

Josie

Ausra

Moonstone, sorry to hear you are feeling ill and tired..that explains a lot. Is there anything we can do to cheer you up? :)

To be honest the thing about apples does not interest me anymore..i was caught up in a mixture of surprise and excitement finding something new , I felt proud and I wanted to share it with you guys..quite a few days passed and I have my attention on other things now. Thank you for all your posts and support and sorry if I upset anyone for whatever that reason was.

moonstone

Oh Ausra please don't feel you upset me, because you didn't, you've made me laugh out loud and cry tears of real mirth, and thank you for the offer in the third person plural (which is normally a sign of either being the actual Queen or having borderline personality disorder, but, obviously in this case, not) to cheer me up but seriously, you have already provided me with absolutely enough cheer for the one month. Cheer is almost cheese! I'm so happy for you that you found cheese, and as I've said, lots of cheese is the only way forward, and I'm just sooooooooooo absolutely thrilled to discover that you are in the cheese eating group. Blue-veined! Parmesan! Water! Red wine!!!!! Kisses kisses kisses kisses kisses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ausra

OMG :crazy: What was that about cheese..and queen..and everything else :think: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Fallenstar

Moonstone, calm down dear...have you been in " that drawer" again.
you will give yourself a Hypo :shock: ...and if you've run out of cheese ,you will be up cheese creek without a paddle :lol:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Smidge

LarryTango

Red grapes appear to lower my levels!!! , I generally eat alot of fruit and I dont think any fruit really increases my levels to what you would think....

Its confusing

jameshallam

I have found that a full english (excluding carby items: beans, bread, hash browns etc) seems to have a massive impact on my BG. I normally have to inject a couple of units to counter act.

No cheese in my full english breakies tho'..........