3 months check up

Killi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello just had my 3 months check up and I'm gutted I've only gone down by one to 137, which is still very high. I've been on a low carb diet, i don't smoke and very little alcohol. Very active but I'm still losing weight without trying (which is a concern). I'm now down to 9 & half stone. I was on Metformin which I took 4 tablets a day. The doctor has now put me onto Gliclazide tablets to try and get my sugar levels down. Also I am going for a CT scan to check my pancreas is working. My liver & kidneys are all ok (that's good news). Also been given a blood sugar monitor to use. This is all new to me. To be honest it's all a bit scary. Any advice would be very helpful. X

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In HbA1C terms going down by one is basically the same value, unintended weightloss can be a sign of type 1, if you start feeling sick or nauseous call you may need immediate help. Can you see if you can get the doc to do the tests for type1, if you've been low carbing for 3 months and your HbA1c hasn't dropped at all, that's not a good sign, do you know how many carbs you're having a day?

Killi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi usually in morning it's special very low bran flakes then I put in blueberries, raspberries with semi skimmed milk. Lunch homemade soup like butternut squash. Supper is usually chicken & sweet potato & vegetables. To be honest I'm not counting my carbs. Maybe I should, I don't know. All this has just knocked the wind from my sail. Thank you for your advice X

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Your HbA1c is still prediabetes A1C results 5.7 to 6.4% 117 to 137. I agree with @xfieldok in asking what your typical day looks like. I suggest you get a glucometer and test before each meal and two hours afterwards to see what foods are causing your blood sugars to be slightly above the normal range on average.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Killi123

Could you confirm that the number you’re quoting is an HbA1c of 137 or 14.7% or is it 137 mg/dl?

This is important as the former is a very high HbA1c, the latter as @ert says would more likely indicate pre-diabetes.

Reactions: ert

Killi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The doctor just said 137 and is still very high. They didn't say which range the test was done.

Dark Horse

Your HbA1c is still prediabetes A1C results 5.7 to 6.4% 117 to 137. I agree with @xfieldok in asking what your typical day looks like. I suggest you get a glucometer and test before each meal and two hours afterwards to see what foods are causing your blood sugars to be slightly above the normal range on average.
An HbA1c of 137 mmol/mol is equivalent to 14.7% which is high. https://www.hba1cnet.com/hba1c-calculator/

Losing weight without an improvement in blood glucose control may mean it is not type 2 but something else such as type 1/LADA/pancreatitis. A CT scan may help diagnose or rule out the latter.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The doctor just said 137 and is still very high. They didn't say which range the test was done.

You need to know what the 137 is. You are entitled to print outs of test results and can ask the receptionist for this . If you are in England you can also apply to have test results put on line. Again, you need to ask about this.

Killi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ill definitely use the monitor and see what triggers the sugar highs. Thank you X

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
An HbA1c of 137 mmol/mol is equivalent to 14.7% which is high. https://www.hba1cnet.com/hba1c-calculator/

Losing weight without an improvement in blood glucose control may mean it is not type 2 but something else such as type 1/LADA/pancreatitis. A CT scan may help diagnose or rule out the latter.
You're right to question the units. As that is off all of the UK conversation charts, which only go up to 14.1%, I assumed it would be 6.4% (averaging almost 8 mmol/l every day for the last 3 months). If it were 14.7% (averaging above 21 mmol/l every day for the last 3 months) then the discussion with the GP should have to be about immediately starting insulin.
Your waking blood sugars will give you the best guess at the units before you can contact your surgery. Are they around 8 or 21?

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was very high at dx at 122. I got my levels down very quikckly by changing my diet, thanks to this forum;

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
In your shoes I'd want to be tested for T1... based on the losing weight without trying. That comes across as a concern and I think it is worth getting that done. Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to consider that you may be T1 and not T2. Losing weight without trying, being on low-carb but still with High BS are pointers. Ask the GP for the two tests for T1 i.e. GAD and C-Peptide. The Gliclazide should help for a while if you are T1.

Laurieluv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi usually in morning it's special very low bran flakes then I put in blueberries, raspberries with semi skimmed milk. Lunch homemade soup like butternut squash. Supper is usually chicken & sweet potato & vegetables. To be honest I'm not counting my carbs. Maybe I should, I don't know. All this has just knocked the wind from my sail. Thank you for your advice X

Hello! Hope you have received some answers!