How long have you been LCHF?

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am fairly new to all this LCHF diet and it has proved excellent for my numbers without having to start medication yet. Diagnosed type 2 this year, 54 to 40 hba1c in 3-4 months. How many of you have managed this long term with out needing medication? Thank-you!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
About 7 to 10 yrs... can't remember when I started, minimum of 7 years.

I hope that doesn't sound like a prison sentence. I am talking about the diet just to be clear.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Somewhere around 4 to 5 years and counting.

Actually I joined this site in November of 2015 so it will be 5 years come next month.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honeyblossom

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
No diabetes medication ever. Found Low Carb after initial HbA1C (before 2nd confirming test).
So LCHF and then with Restricted Time Eating for between 16 and 17 months so far.
I only see reasons to continue and laugh at the suggestion that it is unsustainable!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been in keto for about 7 years plus.

Unfortunately, I have no choice, unless I want to be ill!

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou everyone, amazing achievements, encouraging to know this can be managed in the longer term. There are days when I find it really hard especially when everyone around me eats 'normally'. Every little story is an inspiration and keeps me on track

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou everyone, amazing achievements, encouraging to know this can be managed in the longer term. There are days when I find it really hard especially when everyone around me eats 'normally'. Every little story is an inspiration and keeps me on track
If you eating 'normally' you mean they eat lots of processed foods stuffed with sugar and promoted by big food companies with no interest other than their bottom line,, then let them eat cake!;)
Seriously though, I went through the envious stage. Now I'm finding a wider variety of recipes that keep me in range but tasty and full too. More and more my family are joining me in eating low carb, we will become the norm!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seven years at the end of November with a diagnosis of 61-62. Reduced to 47 by Feb 2014 simply by immediately cutting all obvious carbs, and down to 40 by that summer by eating a "proper" LCHF/ketogenic diet and using a meter. I've remained at low pre-diabetic/high end of normal level since then apart from a few blips due to other health issues. On metformin for first three years, then GP finally declared I no longer needed it.

What I eat now is much closer to the normal fat, moderate carb food I was brought up on and it's definitely sustainable long term and I much prefer it. (All I basically had to do was cut out those unnecessary carbs again...:eek:)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
How many of you have managed this long term with out needing medication?

I've managed about 7 years. Don't forget that other things might change like the amount of insulin you produce and your insulin resistance. I think they are both useful things to know.

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very
If you eating 'normally' you mean they eat lots of processed foods stuffed with sugar and promoted by big food companies with no interest other than their bottom line,, then let them eat cake!;)
Seriously though, I went through the envious stage. Now I'm finding a wider variety of recipes that keep me in range but tasty and full too. More and more my family are joining me in eating low carb, we will become the norm!
Very true! I'm sure I'll get a bit better at finding a wider range recipes as time goes on. Well done on getting your family onboard!

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Seven years at the end of November with a diagnosis of 61-62. Reduced to 47 by Feb 2014 simply by immediately cutting all obvious carbs, and down to 40 by that summer by eating a "proper" LCHF/ketogenic diet and using a meter. I've remained at low pre-diabetic/high end of normal level since then apart from a few blips due to other health issues. On metformin for first three years, then GP finally declared I no longer needed it.

What I eat now is much closer to the normal fat, moderate carb food I was brought up on and it's definitely sustainable long term and I much prefer it. (All I basically had to do was cut out those unnecessary carbs again...:eek:)
Impressive results, hope I can keep it up that long. What foods were you referring to when you said moderate carbs that you grew up on? Really interesting!

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nearly 5 years for me. Never been on meds. Like some others I discovered LCHF very soon after my diagnosis. I don’t think of it as a diet that has an end. It is just how I eat (and I like it!). I lost 4stone 7lbs in a matter of months and have kept it off. Feel so much better for it.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I am fairly new to all this LCHF diet and it has proved excellent for my numbers without having to start medication yet. Diagnosed type 2 this year, 54 to 40 hba1c in 3-4 months. How many of you have managed this long term with out needing medication? Thank-you!
Bit late to this party but around 4 years for me. Wouldn’t / couldn’t do it any other way now
Never had medication