Medication issues?

Garygazbo

Hi. I’ve been Pre-diabetic for 10 yrs on metformin SR twice a day. ( no regular blood tests or diabetic checks ups offered). Felt terrible for the last year, ask GP to be retested. And confirmed as diabetic. ( lost 11lb in four weeks with healthy eating- and I will do my best to turn this around). However. Metformin SR was increased to four tablets a day, which has cause stomach pain and wind and skin inching! Uncomfortable to even walk. Changed by GP to sitagliptin - just as bad. Sent to A +E via ambulance with gastric pain- given antibiotics- still in pain. Asked GP for referral to diabetic consultation and was told no. What do I do? I don’t test sugar Levels. Just have medication. Thanks for any help or feedback.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hat do I do? I don’t test sugar Levels
The answer here is that you do need to test your levels - without knowing your levels are doing how do you know what you're eating is correct for you? It may well not be even close to good for you.
Though most GP's wont prescribe strips for T2's unless on blood glucose lowering medication (not sure what sitagliptin counts as) so most have to self-fund.

But yes if the medication is causing sever gastric issues - you cant stay on it, but diet may well be your answer, I'm sure many others will be along to help with that.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply. Sitagliptin is also known as januvia.
Change what you currently eat and get off all the meds?
Many of us have done it using low to no carb eating methods.
Multiple benefits in overall health as well.

www'dietdoctor.com has loads of food ideas and is a pretty good intro to the wonderful world of low carb eating.
Plus you can have bacon and eggs every day!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Check out this link written by one of our members, great place to start in regards to diet and lowering glucose levels and treating the cause, insulin resistance. I know you've done a great job on losing weight, and well done, but it's worth taking a look.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

You do need to test, so getting a meter should be a top priority to understanding blood glucose levels and responses. Sounds like you are having a real hard time at the moment and your GP seems to be as useful as a bikini in a blizzard. You need good support and you will get it here, so I'd encourage you to hang around. Lots of T2's who have non-diabetic levels here to help you out who are using low carb or keto diets alone... minus the drugs.

And welcome.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I don’t test sugar Levels. Just have medication.

The current advise on self measuring BG given by NICE (https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng...s-for-implementation#blood-glucose-management) is as follows:

Do not routinely offer self‑monitoring of blood glucose levels for adults with type 2 diabetes unless:

• the person is on insulin or
  • there is evidence of hypoglycaemic episodes or
  • the person is on oral medication that may increase their risk of hypoglycaemia while driving or operating machinery or

• the person is pregnant, or is planning to become pregnant.
Most type IIs on this forum will measure their BG because it's the only way to see if your diet and exercise regime are helping or hindering the management of your BG. So I strongly suggest (I'm not a doctor) that you get a meter and start testing regardless of what the doctor says.

Januvia (Sitagliptin) works by inhibiting the DPP-4 enzyme that destroys GLP and GIP hormones, allowing both to function more effectively. Both glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) are released by the intestine and affect blood glucose levels.

I don't understand much of that, I'm not a scientist but I was drawn to the bit that I've highlighted. Abdominal pain is also a known side effect of Januvia, surprised the hospital didn't pick up on that.

I think a low carb diet has already been suggested, it's a good idea, whatever the GP says.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin helps us but not by very much. If it is causing you gastric problems then I would stop it and focus more on the low-carb diet.