Duck ideas please

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a frozen whole duck which I am going to defrost then roast (probably).
Label says serves 2 but as there are 3 of us I need to pad it up a bit.
Most recipes involve orange or cherries, which of course are out so what other ideas please?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
How about serving it with sausage and bacon rolls? Or a sausage meat stuffing?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I like the idea of veggies with bacon or bacon with veggies or even bacon with bacon, but please, PLEASE, anything but sprouts! :arghh:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or a sausage meat stuffing?

Good idea. @MrsA2 I make an almost carnivore stuffing. For speed I take the skins off Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages (0.8g carb/2 sausages) and mix the meat with ground pork crackling (Awfully Posh brand is just pork and salt), add in some onions fried in butter and some dried sage. Mix together and either bake in a loaf tin or form into balls/patties and bake. It’s very tasty.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get another duck. You may have a bit left over for duck frittata. (but go easy on the orange, they're a bit carby).

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Turns out I'd misread the label and it serves 4, but to cook for 2 hours. Ended up having it simply roasted with some butternut squash chunks roasted along side for the last 40 minutes, then just boiled broccoli and kale.
Any very nice it was too. Not a sprout insight @Tophat1900

If anyone interested it was £6.99 frozen from Lidl. Plenty for the 3 of us and can probably get a second padded meal out of the left overs. Made a change from chicken. Hubby was impressed and thought his birthday had come early, so gained brownie points there too

Reactions: DJC3

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Turns out I'd misread the label and it serves 4, but to cook for 2 hours. Ended up having it simply roasted with some butternut squash chunks roasted along side for the last 40 minutes, then just boiled broccoli and kale.
Any very nice it was too. Not a sprout insight @Tophat1900

If anyone interested it was £6.99 frozen from Lidl. Plenty for the 3 of us and can probably get a second padded meal out of the left overs. Made a change from chicken. Hubby was impressed and thought his birthday had come early, so gained brownie points there too

Commonsense prevailed.... oh the serenity!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
1 duck for 4 people hmm not in my house , not unless it’s the size of a turkey lol

Reactions: DJC3

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
We ended up getting 6 portions out of it, 3 roast and 3in a stirfry next night
Might be me being a gutsy pig lol... I love duck especially in Chinese dishes with mixed mushrooms and black bean sauce

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be me being a gutsy pig lol... I love duck especially in Chinese dishes with mixed mushrooms and black bean sauce
It's not just you. With the supermarket ducks that cost about £8 I just cut them down the backbone and my wife and I have half each. A lot better than any steaks that cost £4 each.

Hotpepper20000

All this talk about duck reminded me that the local Asian super market has whole roasted duck. No sauce just crispy skin and juicy meat.

mmm guess what’s for dinner Friday night!!!:hungry::hungry::hungry:

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's not just you. With the supermarket ducks that cost about £8 I just cut them down the backbone and my wife and I have half each. A lot better than any steaks that cost £4 each.
Got to say I buy a ready roasted Chicken from Cost Co they are huge and only £4 .trouble is the smell in the car is too much so embarrassed to say poor old Foghorn Leghorn very rarely makes it out of the car park lol