Apprehensive in my old age

Fraggle18

I am 72 years old and have had diabetes2 for 40 of those years, and on the same medication for 20 years. My old doctor has retired, and now young Dr. 2020 has decided that I need upgrading to a medication called Jardiance, but still continue with Trajenta and Glicazide. The side effects are to say the least scary, .I almost lost my life with DVT/Ep 8 months ago, it’s been a bad year so I don’t want any more suffering. Does anyone else take this drug that can update me from personal experience.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on Jardiance and I was upped to 25mg after a bit of burnout and my sugars soaring.
I have now started taking it at dinner time which is arguably my most carby of the three meals a day with a metformin before bed and I find the impact has been to really settle my BG in the evening.

I was on 10mg before.

My GP told me the only side effect could be that I would get a touch of cystitis as you effectively pee out excess sugar but I had no issues with either dose.

Interestingly my cousin was put on a Metformin/Jardiance combo pill and the diabetic nurse told her them would lose weight with it. They.... have not! They wondered how I had lost weight (exercising regularly and home cooking Low Carb) during lockdown and they gained 3kg from working at home - so on its own it is not the panacea to cure all ills.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 72 years old and have had diabetes2 for 40 of those years, and on the same medication for 20 years. My old doctor has retired, and now young Dr. 2020 has decided that I need upgrading to a medication called Jardiance, but still continue with Trajenta and Glicazide. The side effects are to say the least scary, .I almost lost my life with DVT/Ep 8 months ago, it’s been a bad year so I don’t want any more suffering. Does anyone else take this drug that can update me from personal experience.
From what I know jardiance is a newer med it may be why they are suggesting it? You are in the right to choose what med you have, Drs will offer a suggestion. Is your current med no longer working well enough? If you have good blood sugar control and good hba1c results...
I took it for a month and stopped due to so much sugar in my urine my body didn’t cope well. If you do change med regime maybe ask for a review in 3 months to see how it’s working/ side effects etc. Everyone’s different so best to discuss further with your dr.

Reactions: RFSMarch