Recommend Reading on Insulin

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So after a long time trying to sort my high BG despite eating practically no carbs, it looks like sadly I’m starting on a tiny dose of insulin next week. Are there any recommended books that are worth reading please. Thanks.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’ve been on insulin for nearly 7 months now I think, I’m loosing track. I found this book really useful and very informative. Nicely written not overly medical or complex, for type 1 and insulin and daily living and managing it all.
Take Control of Type 1 Diabetes A Comprehensive Guide to Self-Management and Staying Well
David Cavan,
I also read “think like a pancreas” which was good but a bit too American for me.

Reactions: Flora123

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I really liked this book below (I just cut and pasted the Goodreads blurb) when I was doing a massive read of everything diabetes I could get my hands on.

"Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
by
Gary Scheiner

Few diabetes books focus specifically on the day-to-day issues facing people who use insulin. In this fully updated and revised edition, diabetes educator Gary Scheiner provides the tools to “think like a pancreas”—to successfully master the art and science of matching insulin to the body’s ever-changing needs. Comprehensive, free of medical jargon, and packed with useful information not readily available elsewhere, this new edition covers the many strides taken in diabetes education and management since the first edition seven years ago.
Think Like a Pancreas includes critical information, such as day-to-day blood glucose control and monitoring, designing an insulin program to best match your lifestyle, up-to date medication and technology, and new insulin formulations and combinations."

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I’ve been on insulin for nearly 7 months now I think, I’m loosing track. I found this book really useful and very informative. Nicely written not overly medical or complex, for type 1 and insulin and daily living and managing it all.
Take Control of Type 1 Diabetes A Comprehensive Guide to Self-Management and Staying Well
David Cavan,
I also read “think like a pancreas” which was good but a bit too American for me.

Thank you so much! They still think some sub section of T2 for me that insulin production dwindling. Which I thought was LADA but apparently not! So confusing ...

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really liked this book below (I just cut and pasted the Goodreads blurb) when I was doing a massive read of everything diabetes I could get my hands on.

"Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
by
Gary Scheiner

Few diabetes books focus specifically on the day-to-day issues facing people who use insulin. In this fully updated and revised edition, diabetes educator Gary Scheiner provides the tools to “think like a pancreas”—to successfully master the art and science of matching insulin to the body’s ever-changing needs. Comprehensive, free of medical jargon, and packed with useful information not readily available elsewhere, this new edition covers the many strides taken in diabetes education and management since the first edition seven years ago.
Think Like a Pancreas includes critical information, such as day-to-day blood glucose control and monitoring, designing an insulin program to best match your lifestyle, up-to date medication and technology, and new insulin formulations and combinations."

Thank you! Sounds like what I need.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
The books that helped me are: Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, Ponder's Sugar Surfing, Bertie's online course: https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/
I hope you feel like you get your life back on insulin.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Thank you. I’m nervous...
My fear of insulin was much worse than the reality. I hope you try to get a Libre sensor and a Miao Miao or a Bubble which alarms. The technology takes the worry away. It catches my blood sugars on the way up and on the way down which gives me time to react.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes I agree, the Bertie online course is brilliant! Free just log in and full of information.
Best of luck, maybe with more time it’ll become clearer what type you are. It took 4 years of me going from prediabetic, type 2 and then 2 years of lots meds and diet not working to finally getting antibodies tested and seeing I’m late onset type 1.
I cried for 2 days when started insulin hehe but now it’s second nature, and I feel so much better when my numbers are lower, and that’s thanks to the insulin I can take with each meal, so after a bit of time you should feel more at ease with it all.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My fear of insulin was much worse than the reality. I hope you try to get a Libre sensor and a Miao Miao or a Bubble which alarms. The technology takes the worry away. It catches my blood sugars on the way up and on the way down which gives me time to react.
Oh what’s a bubble? I self fund a libre every now and then, they don’t seem to want to give me one on prescription?

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Bright Spots and Land Mines by Adam Brown
Excellent, Available free online.

edited 28th for correct surname.

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Oh what’s a bubble? I self fund a libre every now and then, they don’t seem to want to give me one on prescription?
A bubble is a divide that works with the Libre, a competitor to Miao Miao. 'The bubble is an NFC transmitter that placed over Freestyle Libre® makes a reading of your blood glucose levels every 5 minutes and transmits it via Bluetooth to your mobile phone allowing you to manage your glucose levels and to set up hyper and hypoglycemia alerts via software.'
https://bubbleshop.eu/product/bubble-freestyle-libre-glucose-monitor/

I am funded for the Libre as I used 8 or more finger pricks a day for 3 months (and had sore fingers at the end of it.)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Bright Sots and Land Mines by Adam Brow
Excellent, Available free online.

Bright SPOTS ! Lol. I spent way too long wondering what a sot was :cat:

And, couldn't find an Adam Brow - (BROWN) :D

Looks like a good book...

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I stuffed that up! Apologies for inconveniencing.

@Flora123

Main 'homes' appear to be Diabetes Daily and Diatribe.

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bright+spots+and+landmines+by+adam+brown

Diatribe:
https://brightspotsandlandmines.org/

Alternate Diatribe:
https://diatribe.org/GetBrightSpots

UK Amazon + Kindle:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bright+spots+and+landmines+book&crid=2KS8QS9AZD4K2&sprefix=Bright+spots,aps,171&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12
well worth a buy in my opinion.

Pinterest - has some of his graphics.

Last edited: