feeling bad on 72 hrs fast

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because my blood sugars were gradually creeping up past 6 over the last few months I decided to go on another 72 hour water fast to get my insulin levels down. Which I did last year with no problems. The 1st couple of days were fine, even though I did feel tired, but today in the morning, I felt decidedly dodgy. 4th day. I felt weak,my heart rate was up and I felt slightly dizzy my blood glucose showed 4.2 which I didn't think was particularly low. However I decided to break the fast and had a breakfast of scrambled eggs and tomatoes. A couple of hours later i feel fine.
Has anybody else come across this situation where they feel a little bit hypo on 4 or thereabouts. I didn't even think for 4.2 Mmol was hypo, but I have suffered from insulin resistance for quite a long while and I did come off metformin last year on doctor's orders as my blood sugars had come down from rand bat 12 or 13 to about 6.
I am age 71 and the last few days being on the fast I've had very little energy and havnt felt like exercising at all.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because my blood sugars were gradually creeping up past 6 over the last few months I decided to go on another 72 hour water fast to get my insulin levels down. Which I did last year with no problems. The 1st couple of days were fine, even though I did feel tired, but today in the morning, I felt decidedly dodgy. 4th day. I felt weak,my heart rate was up and I felt slightly dizzy my blood glucose showed 4.2 which I didn't think was particularly low. However I decided to break the fast and had a breakfast of scrambled eggs and tomatoes. A couple of hours later i feel fine.
Has anybody else come across this situation where they feel a little bit hypo on 4 or thereabouts. I didn't even think for 4.2 Mmol was hypo, but I have suffered from insulin resistance for quite a long while and I did come off metformin last year on doctor's orders as my blood sugars had come down from rand bat 12 or 13 to about 6.
I am age 71 and the last few days being on the fast I've had very little energy and havnt felt like exercising at all.

Yes anything on the low 4's and I feel shaky and confused . I have had 2 readings of 3.4 last year and I was definitely experiencing hypo 's . People with diabetes are different some on this forum appear to be fine on low 4's but for me around mid to low 5 is what works .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anybody else come across this situation where they feel a little bit hypo on 4 or thereabouts.
When your body has gotten used to higher levels you can definitely experience hypo symptoms well above 4, it's called a 'false hypo'.
When you get your blood glucose down, your body will get used to lower levels again and the hypo symptoms at non hypo levels will disappear.

Reactions: ert

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When your body has gotten used to higher levels you can definitely experience hypo symptoms well above 4, it's called a 'false hypo'.
When you get your blood glucose down, your body will get used to lower levels again and the hypo symptoms at non hypo levels will disappear.

Aha..I wasn't aware of that, never heard of it. That explains a lot. I am going to go full keto and if I can stay around five I will be happy.
Does that also explain the absolute feet dragging fatigue perhaps?
Unfortunately through this lock down caper, I have been remiss in my eating habit. Having done 4 days, I will work at it to keep it there.
Thanks..:)

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea about that. I've never done keto, and I've never have wanted to fast so I'm not the one to ask.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel well when I hadn't eaten for over a day, but this doesn't tell us anything about how you feel.
Glad to have been of help on the false hypo part though :)
Wish you all the best!

Reactions: hankjam

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aha..I wasn't aware of that, never heard of it. That explains a lot. I am going to go full keto and if I can stay around five I will be happy.
Unfortunately through this lock down caper, I have been remiss in my eating habit. Having done 4 days, I will work at it to keep it there.
Thanks..:)

If your fast gave your body a bit of a jolt, you could have been experiencing a bit of keto flu. I know you were fasting, but keto flue is basically a form of withdrawal from carbier foods.

It can last a few days, but if it is carb flu, it goes once your body gets a bit more used to it's "new normal".

Well done on taking positive action.

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that reply. Never thought about Keto flu although have heard of it. I did feel rubbish, lethargy, tired. Never hungry though. I now need to steer clear of carbby foods as you say.
I lost a couple of kilos, so will go again in a couple of weeks, but prep myself with keto before hand.
Thanks.