Type 1 Had a bad hypo this morning.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All was well before bed. Had a 10.5 reading and was a few hours after my lantus(long acting insulin). Took 1 unit of humalog to bring my bloods back to 7-8. Well think I messed up lol. Think I need to lower my basil a tad bit and if I see a 10 reading before bed then I should not bother taking 1 unit of rapid insulin.

Checked my bloods around 4am when I randomly awoke and was 7.1 with a steady arrow. Thought it was ok so went back to sleep but 4 hours later I woke up with a 2.8 reading.

Had 2 glucose tablets, 1 small packet of haribos and 10g of carbs. Should hopefully sort it out but I didn't even know I was low until I checked my phone and it was all bright and blurry and thought "here we go again". Still new to this libre and now noticed the arrow was slighlty down when my reading was 10.5.

Should I try lowering my lantus a few units?

Thanks for any feedback =).
Screenshot_20201022-081144_LibreLink.jpg
Screenshot_20201022-081149_LibreLink.jpg

Stefp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s scary when you wake up in the middle of the night with a low - worrying about my blood sugar overnight gives me anxiety a lot! You could try lowering your lantus - but I would probably leave it based on one nights readings - it is probably because you corrected when your reading was 10 as you said. Without the correction dose you wouldn’t have dropped so low indicating that your Lantus doesn’t need reducing. I drop a few mm pretty much every night with the lantus dose so like to be at least 6 before going to bed - if not I have a snack to see me through. I only take a correction dose if I am over 11. If it keeps happening try dropping one unit at a time and leaving it for 3-4 units before changing again.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All was well before bed. Had a 10.5 reading and was a few hours after my lantus(long acting insulin). Took 1 unit of humalog to bring my bloods back to 7-8. Well think I messed up lol. Think I need to lower my basil a tad bit and if I see a 10 reading before bed then I should not bother taking 1 unit of rapid insulin.

Checked my bloods around 4am when I randomly awoke and was 7.1 with a steady arrow. Thought it was ok so went back to sleep but 4 hours later I woke up with a 2.8 reading.

Had 2 glucose tablets, 1 small packet of haribos and 10g of carbs. Should hopefully sort it out but I didn't even know I was low until I checked my phone and it was all bright and blurry and thought "here we go again". Still new to this libre and now noticed the arrow was slighlty down when my reading was 10.5.

Thanks for any feedback =).View attachment 44804View attachment 44805

From a non-insulin user, so ignore my questions. I'm great on questions - they just might not all be relevant!

Are you rotating your injection sites? Could you have a touch of Lipohypertrophy where you are injecting, leading to erratic insulin release into your system? Could it be worthwhile exploring new sites for a while; just in case?

As I say,............. ignore if irrelevant. :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't say whether you actually felt hypo when you woke. The reason I say that is twofold: firstly, I find the Libres often read a fair bit lower or higher when bgs are low or high, and secondly, if you sleep on your sensor it can read low (to the point where I was allegedly LO for several hours, except I wasn't. If I get an unexpected reading on Libre I always check with my meter.

Equally, like @Stefp I tend to see an overnight drop with Lantus, and I'm very very cautious about correcting when I go to bed, and will eat something if I'm between 6 & 7 or less. Just thought those other issues might be worth mentioning.

Highs&lows

Same thing happened to me my libre said 2.8 dropping did a big and 5.7 then it said LO another big 3.2 but then once I was 16.2 on libre and BG was 23. Due to a sugary drink when low but not realising how sugary

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for any feedback =).View attachment 44804View attachment 44805

Hi,

It can all feel like nailing jelly to a wall sometimes.
Firstly, check the lows scanned against your meter. Just so you know for sure what you are dealing with.
I'm not entirely sure when you took your lantus, But you had a unit correction dose in the system too.

Personally. i wouldn't try adjusting the basal until i spot consistent patterns happening without other variables in the mix like bolus insulin on board..
Here is a link explaining basal testing, which may help..? https://www.mysugr.com/en-us/blog/basal-rate-testing/

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
With the libre I know that it can sometimes be delayed by around 15minutes compared to when testing with a meter. On a couple of occasions I have woken up to my libre telling me I was low throughout the night. If I have had a hypo throughout the night I can always tell upon wakening. I have also had the same issue in the day where my libre says I'm low when I know I'm not so ill wait and it will come back up. Personally I wouldn't bother correcting if my blood sugar was 10 before bed. I will only correct if it is 12 and above and I haven't consumed any carbs in the last 4 hours so I know it is not going to drop any further. Also I wouldn't change your basal insulin until it consistently happens for 3 days in a row. It may be annoying but if you're going to hypo from your basal being incorrect it is usually 2/3ish so maybe set and alarm to test?
Hope this helps

Reactions: Mal78

Mal78

I think the problem lies in the correction dose, I only ever use a correction dose now if I’m 12 or over as I’ve had a few mishaps myself

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you guys. Well last night my bloods were hobering around 6.7. Had my long acting insulin and lowered my unit by 1 so 24 units. Woke this morning at 7 to get ready for my laser treatment and noticed during the hours of 3am to 6pm I had a hypo. No correction dosage was made after dinner. Gonna try eating a slice of brown bread tonight if my sugars are lower than 7 to see if that helps. If not then I'll go for one more day and see if it happens again.
Screenshot_20201023-123105_LibreLink.jpg

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also I use to have bad hypo symptoms like shaking, sweeting or hunger but now I only know I'm low when my eyes blur and I can't read the texts on my phone due to it being so bright and blurry.