I went hyper

• Thread starter Deleted member 531992
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 531992

Hello everyone,
I’m a newbie here.

I’ve been told to check my blood glucose randomly. In my log it has mostly ranged at 3.7 and 7.72. But today quite a few hours after breakfast, I started to feel poorly. I tested myself and it was 12.88.

I’m not diagnosed as having Diabetes Mellitus. But I have been on a high dose of steroids for Covid.

But these episodes of going hyper have been happening for quite awhile, I just didn’t know I was going hyper.

I’m medically complicated. I’m rare as I don’t have the hormone control that the vast majority of people have. My endocrinologist doesn’t know this is happening. I only found out today.

My partners blood glucose goes up to 20+ (she’s DM2) and she feels fine.

But is 12.88 bad while not being ‘diabetic’?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think you should raise this question with your endocrinologist as they will know more about your complications and the treatment you’re having now. Covid, and steroids, could be affecting you and raising blood sugars, but we’re not really able to analyse what’s happening to you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jamjam01 - For those on steroids, blood glucose can go really rather erratic, as you are finding. Whether your numbers are a matter of concern isn't something anyone on here can decide. We neither have the whole story, nor do are we able to diagnose - even for those who are appropriately qualified.

Please do check your concerns out with your team.

Is your partner working on her own blood glucose numbers?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Might just be that you are insulin sensitive so going out of the normal range feels bad and the cause should be investigated e.g. stress, steroids, underlying infection.
If your partner feels fine at 20 that's more concerning as it sounds as if she is just used to running high persistently. Being this high implies quite a lot of insulin and insulin resistance going on behind the scenes.
Hope you both can find some answers anyway!