Celebrating My Lifestyle Change

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, missed my monthly update last week as I hit a bit of a stall. Weigh in today shows 4.7kg lost but over 5 weeks not 4. That brings total lost to 46.9kg.

I don’t know why but the slowdown seems REALLY annoying even though obviously - what difference does a week really make? I’m pretty close to goal 1: 50kg loss which will take me to a healthy weight. Still hoping beyond hope that my next update at the 3 week mark - Nov 12th - will have me there.

To anyone else out there on a weight loss journey or having got through one - I know plateaus happen! Slowdowns happen! I wish I knew how to not be so disappointed by them. Any words of wisdom?

Rosie - You have done so well. Stick with it.

There are many, many on here who have lost fair chunks of weight, including my colleagues @Goonergal and @Rachox . You are so close to you goal of 50kg.

I can't imagine how much freer you must feel, without having to carry a whole me around with you 24/7 (49kg). It blows my mind every time I read it.

Keep up the good work. I feel certain you are the healthier for it, and those around you must be in awe.

On an aside, but an important one; I hope your parents are making progress to getting better. It must be a real worry for you.

Kalkie

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I’m brand new to the forums - literally saw my GP yesterday - and have decided to go down a low carb / high fat route (I was gluten free anyway so it’s not a major change for me). I also have similar experiences and issues with WW and yo-yo dieting so it’s really good to read your experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Serena51

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On an aside, but an important one; I hope your parents are making progress to getting better. It must be a real worry for you.

You're so kind to ask. It's slow going but they are improving. My Dad seems to still have a bit of the cough and they both get tired pretty easily but apparently that's not unusual with COVID recoveries. We are keeping fingers crossed that they will be well enough to travel and return to England by the end of next month.

Reactions: pdmjoker

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I’m brand new to the forums - literally saw my GP yesterday - and have decided to go down a low carb / high fat route (I was gluten free anyway so it’s not a major change for me). I also have similar experiences and issues with WW and yo-yo dieting so it’s really good to read your experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Hi @Kalkie - welcome! I'm so pleased the thread helped you even a little. I keep it updated now to keep myself accountable too in a way. The highs and lows of yo-yo dieting are such a nightmare. I do think low carb is the solution for me (time will tell of course) and I hope you find it suits you too! This forum is awesome for advice and if you want to chat about anything directly, just give me a shout.

Good luck!

Reactions: Kalkie

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're so kind to ask. It's slow going but they are improving. My Dad seems to still have a bit of the cough and they both get tired pretty easily but apparently that's not unusual with COVID recoveries. We are keeping fingers crossed that they will be well enough to travel and return to England by the end of next month.

I'll cross my fingers with you.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rosie, re plateau,
my personal belief is that our metabolisms get used to whatever we do to them and need the occasional kick in the butt to get them out of the comfort zone. So perhaps try OMAD for a few days or a longer fast over what you usually do, or a couple of days full carnivore or full veggie.. in other words just mix it up a bit.
I had stuck for about 6 weeks so for a week gave up the small daily chocolate and twice weekly wine. According to my meter they weren't spiking me, but missing them out and all of a sudden I lost 3 lbs that week.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Serena51

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@RosieMaxwell I've just read the thread and you have done wonderfully well.

If your rate of weight loss slows a little as you get towards your target weight then not to worry because you will be eating like this long term anyway.

Targets are very useful. Your 50 kg is a massive target and you are almost there. However targets aren't everything and people aren't failures if they miss by a bit or get there a bit late.

Says me who hit my 11 stone 7 lbs target then drifted up again.
Still, I am losing weight again and every pound is a small victory.

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rosie, re plateau,
my personal belief is that our metabolisms get used to whatever we do to them and need the occasional kick in the butt to get them out of the comfort zone. So perhaps try OMAD for a few days or a longer fast over what you usually do, or a couple of days full carnivore or full veggie.. in other words just mix it up a bit.
I had stuck for about 6 weeks so for a week gave up the small daily chocolate and twice weekly wine. According to my meter they weren't spiking me, but missing them out and all of a sudden I lost 3 lbs that week.

Edited by Mod

Thanks that’s actually good advice. I’m not sure exactly what I’ll change but I’m going to take a look at my meal logs to see.

I do drink the occasional glass of wine but it’s 0 carb so hoping it’s not much to do with that!

I’ll be checking out that podcast on my morning walk too!

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@RosieMaxwell I've just read the thread and you have done wonderfully well.

If your rate of weight loss slows a little as you get towards your target weight then not to worry because you will be eating like this long term anyway.

Targets are very useful. Your 50 kg is a massive target and you are almost there. However targets aren't everything and people aren't failures if they miss by a bit or get there a bit late.

Says me who hit my 11 stone 7 lbs target then drifted up again.
Still, I am losing weight again and every pound is a small victory.

You’re right of course. And the sensible part of me knows that. Good luck on your own weight loss journey. Rooting for you to get back to 11’7!

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, missed my monthly update last week as I hit a bit of a stall. Weigh in today shows 4.7kg lost but over 5 weeks not 4. That brings total lost to 46.9kg.

I don’t know why but the slowdown seems REALLY annoying even though obviously - what difference does a week really make? I’m pretty close to goal 1: 50kg loss which will take me to a healthy weight. Still hoping beyond hope that my next update at the 3 week mark - Nov 12th - will have me there.

To anyone else out there on a weight loss journey or having got through one - I know plateaus happen! Slowdowns happen! I wish I knew how to not be so disappointed by them. Any words of wisdom?
You've done amazingly well to lose 46.9kg! Well done indeed!

Just an idea about your plateau: perhaps your body is happy and settled at a weight slightly higher than your target weight? Sometimes nature knows what is right for you better than a BMI chart!

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiiii guys, so it's been 5 weeks and I haven't posted an update because I am EXACTLY where I was 5 weeks ago!

The plateau lives on! But I wanted to post here about it because I don't want this thread to just be all good - good - good and none of the real stuff.

So truth be told I've been depressed about the slowdown, as I think anyone who has been on a long weight loss journey would be. Particularly because within these 5 weeks I have actually lost a couple more kg and then regained them. I know! How awful! Except as you will read on plenty of posts here, weight loss isn't linear. Part of that is just how things are but I understand now that partly it's also because you sort of relax a little without realising it.

Checking out my food journals for the last 5 weeks, I've realised that I let quite a few more carbs slip into my diet without really noticing. Which is disappointing but also brilliant because it means I can do something to turn things around i.e. tighten up that carb intake.

The other truth bomb is that I need a bit more motivation. With my A1C down, I've lost motivating factor #1. And then even though I am hovering at just over a healthy weight in the BMI scale, I LOOK slim and am wearing size 8-10 clothes which was a pipe dream not too long ago. This is lovely but also bad because that was motivating factor #2.

So what am I doing? Refocusing on new motivations. I still want to get down to a healthy BMI (#1) and reach my unspoken goal of halving my weight (#2) - which is now 14.1kg away. I'm not planning on doing anything different from what has worked for me already - i.e. Keto, IF and walking. Just going to put extra effort into monitoring my carbs, do a bit more walking in the evening and move to weigh myself weekly instead of monthly so that I can track smaller changes as they happen.

I'm feeling positive because I feel like I have a plan again. So please keep your paws crossed for me that this week is a good one! I'll update this thread again next Monday :)

Reactions: MrsA2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent post. Helpful as we all have ups and downs sometimes

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok! Update after about 3 weeks because work has been mental.

Renewing my focus seems to have worked! As of today my total weight lost is 51.1kg. Woohoo. Basically the plateau is partly because plateaus just happen but also because I was getting lax without really realising it.

This means I have finally achieved my first goal of reaching a healthy BMI! So happy! Going to go update my signature now lol.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok! Update after about 3 weeks because work has been mental.

Renewing my focus seems to have worked! As of today my total weight lost is 51.1kg. Woohoo. Basically the plateau is partly because plateaus just happen but also because I was getting lax without really realising it.

This means I have finally achieved my first goal of reaching a healthy BMI! So happy! Going to go update my signature now lol.
That's brilliant well done :)