Annual Check-up

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
if this has already been covered in another thread then do let me know please......

Since being diagnosed as T2 approx 6-7 years ago I've had an annual review in which I get told my HbaA1c. But my current review is late & I have no idea if/when it will happen.

Life is too short to try phoning the surgery......
Are others getting/not getting their reviews?
For those who aren't getting a review is anyone planning to get it done 'privately'? if so, where?

Thanks
David

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
At my surgery, I just need to book a blood test with the nurse. Ask the nurse for an HbA1c, liver and kidney function, and cholesterol, foot exam, and blood pressure. The GP will phone if there are any issues with your results.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Non-urgent blood tests are cancelled at my surgery until further notice due to a shortage of reagents at the labs.

Medichecks, Thriva and Monitor My Health are three reliable companies for ordering private tests at reasonable cost.

Editing to add a text sent by my surgery

41A6D14D-76BD-4B27-8FD9-3EB1B9D18A39.jpeg

Last edited:

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if this has already been covered in another thread then do let me know please......

Since being diagnosed as T2 approx 6-7 years ago I've had an annual review in which I get told my HbaA1c. But my current review is late & I have no idea if/when it will happen.

Life is too short to try phoning the surgery......
Are others getting/not getting their reviews?
For those who aren't getting a review is anyone planning to get it done 'privately'? if so, where?

Thanks
David

Lots of tests are on hold for better or for worse, but it does vary by area.

Despite your reluctance a quick call to the surgery wouldn't go amiss.

Are you self testing at home which would give you an indication?

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks ert. Would that life was that simple - when I asked several weeks ago I was told they would contact me but heard nothing

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Non-urgent blood tests are cancelled at my surgery until further notice due to a shortage of reagents at the labs.

Medichecks, Thriva and Monitor My Health are three reliable companies for ordering private tests at reasonable cost.
Thanks Goonergal. Interesting 'background'. I'll follow-up your suggestions.....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My annual review was due at the beginning of May, and after initially being told it was postponed til further notice I was then invited to attend the surgery at the end of May for the practical stuff, blood test, weight etc.... I then had a phone appt to discuss the results.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My annual review was due at the beginning of May, and after initially being told it was postponed til further notice I was then invited to attend the surgery at the end of May for the practical stuff, blood test, weight etc.... I then had a phone appt to discuss the results.

Hi Rachox
sounds good; ever thought about doing the Lottery? ;)

Reactions: ert

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lots of tests are on hold for better or for worse, but it does vary by area.

Despite your reluctance a quick call to the surgery wouldn't go amiss.

Are you self testing at home which would give you an indication?

Thanks Jim
I don't selftest. There are few things in life that make me feel 'uneasy' but self-testing is 1. I'd sooner face a hard cricket ball bowled @ 70mph without pads, helmet & 'gentleman's protector' than self-test. I admit it: I'm a wimp!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Jim
I don't selftest. There are few things in life that make me feel 'uneasy' but self-testing is 1. I'd sooner face a hard cricket ball bowled @ 70mph without pads, helmet & 'gentleman's protector' than self-test. I admit it: I'm a wimp!
At only 70mph! You are a wimp!
If you can face that then monitoring is as easy as fielding at silly mid off.
Or you can get a cgm. Which is non invasive.

By the way, I have had, my annual, flu jab and two face to face visits and quite a few phone calls.
So, it all depends where your pavilion is.
Watch out for the ball seaming if it's humid!

Reactions: hankjam

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine due in summer was postponed but it has been suggested I go to a newly re-opened walk-in at another local hospital so I have to go get my forms at the end of this week and just get it done.

In the mean time though I have been self-monitoring and even allowing for Libre being slightly out, I hope these will be a lot better

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
At only 70mph! You are a wimp!
If you can face that then monitoring is as easy as fielding at silly mid off.
Or you can get a cgm. Which is non invasive.

By the way, I have had, my annual, flu jab and two face to face visits and quite a few phone calls.
So, it all depends where your pavilion is.
Watch out for the ball seaming if it's humid!

ah! a fellow cricket lover. Thanks Lamont I really must check-out cgm (not certain what that means) - must be a thread on it somewhere.
Re fielding @ silly mid off - my days fielding there are gone - your 'reaction time' has to be 1st class. As for the ball seaming: I much prefer facing seam bowling than spin, especially wrist spin (not sure anyone else will understand the cricket references)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mine due in summer was postponed but it has been suggested I go to a newly re-opened walk-in at another local hospital so I have to go get my forms at the end of this week and just get it done.

In the mean time though I have been self-monitoring and even allowing for Libre being slightly out, I hope these will be a lot better

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Jim

I don't fingerpick as I write by trade so finger pricking multiple times a day is just not practical! However if it makes you feel better, I HATE needles so to even apply the Libre sensor the first time took a lot of Rocky Balboa style psyching up of running up and down the stairs, arms raised aloft as if in the ring in triumph, followed by a bit of girlie whimpering before I finally bit the bullet and fired one off into my arm!

It may not be perfect and towards the end of its 14 day life the readings tend to be a bit iffy, but it gives me enough of a steer to hope that the overall numbers are back on track!

As I self-fund, and have been able to get control back thanks to lockdown and no work/travelling for work, I have been using it two weeks in a month just to make sure things are not going too awry.

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good luck with that: not ideal but a way-forward
Given that Diabetes is a factor in the severity of Covid I'm a little surprised that surgeries aren't prioritising annual reviews....!

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't fingerpick as I write by trade so finger pricking multiple times a day is just not practical! However if it makes you feel better, I HATE needles so to even apply the Libre sensor the first time took a lot of Rocky Balboa style psyching up of running up and down the stairs, arms raised aloft as if in the ring in triumph, followed by a bit of girlie whimpering before I finally bit the bullet and fired one off into my arm!

It may not be perfect and towards the end of its 14 day life the readings tend to be a bit iffy, but it gives me enough of a steer to hope that the overall numbers are back on track!

As I self-fund, and have been able to get control back thanks to lockdown and no work/travelling for work, I have been using it two weeks in a month just to make sure things are not going too awry.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with that: not ideal but a way-forward
Given that Diabetes is a factor in the severity of Covid I'm a little surprised that surgeries aren't prioritising annual reviews....!
I think they might be now. It wasn’t that long ago I got the automated nag from the MyGP app and a follow up call from the doctor where he suggested waiting a while. Not sure why things have changed but I will be a good little bear and pick up my pathology forms and schlep to the nearest walk-in

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I had my most recent HbA1C on schedule in May of this year, tin my area (though not at the GP practice) they never stopped doing blood tests for those who needed/wanted them e.g. Diabetics, patients on rat poison and those needed for a diagnosis.
I've not personally had a face to face GP appointment since I have not needed one, but I've recently had 2 mass inoculation appointments for both flu and pneumonia.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
ah! a fellow cricket lover. Thanks Lamont I really must check-out cgm (not certain what that means) - must be a thread on it somewhere.
Re fielding @ silly mid off - my days fielding there are gone - your 'reaction time' has to be 1st class. As for the ball seaming: I much prefer facing seam bowling than spin, especially wrist spin (not sure anyone else will understand the cricket references)

I was particularly susceptible to a googly! Spin otherwise had no worries, as neither did fast bowling.
My family has and still is a cricket playing family. My son is a captain of the 2nd Xl, my nephews also still playing in his forties. And grandchildren are also taking part in school and club cricket.
One of my brothers played at minor county level.
My son has also played at northern competition club league cricket.

As in football, the best competition is at the amateur level, where there is a respect for talent and you can enjoy the game.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A few things. The only excuse your surgery has for not arranging the blood test is the current shortage of re-agents. This should only last a few weeks when you should 'insist' that the surgery makes a phone appointment for your review and issue blood forms or takes the blood. Most blood clinics now use electronic forms submitted by the surgery. Have the bloods done 2 weeks before the review. Get yourself access online to your surgery's IT system which is likely to be 'System Online' or 'Patient Access'. There you will be able to see your test results and patient record. Don't take no for answer as the surgery MUST provide access unless it has a very good reason.