Grapes ... Confused

LarryTango

Hello, this is my first post and firstly I would like to say this is a great website :D

Anyways .... This is my issue, I have been diabetic about 3 yrs now and i generally have had good control. Over the last 9 months I have not been testing myself and most likely not been as strict.

I have recently bought some new test strips etc and began testing myself before lunch and then 2 hours after my lunch.

I ate the same things at the same times Mon - Sat (apart from a potion of red grapes after lunch I had Mon Wed Fri ) and my numbers are generally the same before lunch (between 5.1 and 5.3 mmol/L) after lunch my levels drop about 0.7 mmol/L on days I ate grapes and increased approx 0.5mmol/L on days i did not.

I have always ate red grapes (probs a bit too much) and I really have no seen any evidence that it increases my levels but everyone (including my doctor) has told me what i am saying is not true.

could someone please explain to me why red grapes appear to lower my blood sugar levels?

WhitbyJet

Hello LarryTango - welcome to the forum.
What a difficult question this is, I find that I can eat kiwi fruit and it doesnt affect my bg levels.
Have a look at this thread, there seem to be some mysteries in our lives, unless someone with heaps more brains than I have comes up with an explanation?
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24886

I know you have been diagnosed for a while, but here is a link that is given out to every new member, maybe you find something useful in there.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Anyway its good to have you on board, its a friendly supportive forum, looking forward to your posts.
All the best to you

reidpj

Hi Larry

How long after lunch do you test?

I had similar results with bread. 2 hours after eating it, my bg dropped slightly; I tested after 4 hours, and the reading went 'through the roof'.

Peter

LarryTango

Have Lunch break at 12:30 every day get back to desk at 13:00 eat my grapes while typing (so 13:10 finish) test blood 15:30

so about 2 and half hours .. I dont have test strips again until i get paid at end month but i shall test a few hours after you think???

bedshaped2000

Check your bloods after45mins i think u will be shocked after fruit i go hypo abou 90 mins after i think your insulin over compenates for the sugar rush from the fructose

heathclowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
certain vegetables and time wasters
LarryTango said:
Have Lunch break at 12:30 every day get back to desk at 13:00 eat my grapes while typing (so 13:10 finish) test blood 15:30

so about 2 and half hours .. I dont have test strips again until i get paid at end month but i shall test a few hours after you think???

Sorry to bother you Larry but are you in England as you say you have to pay for your strips, i get mine on prescription from the doctor, I know some doctor's won't provide them but its always worth asking

LarryTango

As i was trying my best to keep my levels ok , my doctor has refused to allow me to have strips .. unless i end up with bad control

ITS THE STUPIDEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD but thats the way it is! :(