Carnivore Corner

M

Member496333

I’ve been taking pure beef collagen. In my coffee for a year now. I too am noticing a huge difference in my skin, hair and nails.

Yeah I had been taking collagen but more recently stopped bothering because I figure there's no way my diet is deficient in it. Bought the bone broth primarily just as a tasty beverage but, for me at least, the health benefits are obvious, and more pronounced than those I experienced with collagen powder. I think everything we do in this regard is a benefit, though. We need the raw materials that our bodies are made of if we want to be optimal humans. In my opinion only of course.

Reactions: Hotpepper20000

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I had been taking collagen but more recently stopped bothering because I figure there's no way my diet is deficient in it. Bought the bone broth primarily just as a tasty beverage but, for me at least, the health benefits are obvious, and more pronounced than those I experienced with collagen powder. I think everything we do in this regard is a benefit, though. We need the raw materials that our bodies are made of if we want to be optimal humans. In my opinion only of course.
Does it taste nice as a beverage?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
excuse me butting in...is ordinary Bovril useful/good at all?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
excuse me butting in...is ordinary Bovril useful/good at all?

Guess it depends what you mean by ‘good’. Don’t see any problem with eating it (used to love it spread on toast) bit it won’t have the same benefits as collagen rich bone broth.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You make it sound like it's deliberate.. rather than what the body does in the absence of carbs?
If unmedicated then maybe "normal" is in the 3's and 4's.
As there are few metabolically healthy people measuring their blood glucose levels regularly then how do we really know what "normal" is?
I know for me it is likely a sort of post traumatic stress. I recently did an apple test, around 2 weeks ago. Pp was 6.4 and next morning a 5.1 fbg. I didn't have a meltdown as I knew what the input was and the apple came from my garden. But both numbers were 0.7 off my normal. The rest of the desert was 4 different types of berries, 100% dark chocolate, several different nuts and a coconut pancake / cream cheese base.

I was back to normal the next day and ever since.

I think because I initially had fbg's of 20, it has left scarring and fear. I mostly only random test as my body is behaving at the moment (several years, but prudent to keep watching). Some would have been ok with the test numbers, but not me.

Interesting to see the significant drop Jim had removing fairly innocuous substances.

M

Member496333

Interesting to see the significant drop Jim had removing fairly innocuous substances.

Indeed. My best guess is that the energy in the double cream was enough to interrupt autophagy, thus causing my body to react as though I was snacking a lot during the day. Minimum six cups of coffee! Pretty sure I was addicted to it. Glad I've finally given it up.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed. My best guess is that the energy in the double cream was enough to interrupt autophagy, thus causing my body to react as though I was snacking a lot during the day. Minimum six cups of coffee! Pretty sure I was addicted to it. Glad I've finally given it up.

I’m finding the same with cream, but it’s a real struggle to give it up. A few aborted attempts so far. It definitely increase blood sugars - not as spikes, but an overall uplift. There are some indications of an intolerance too. But the addiction is hard to break.

M

Member496333

I’m finding the same with cream, but it’s a real struggle to give it up. A few aborted attempts so far. It definitely increase blood sugars - not as spikes, but an overall uplift. There are some indications of an intolerance too. But the addiction is hard to break.

I had never really considered that I had a dairy sensitivity, but I now already have a flatter stomach and my gut feels even better. Also my breathing seems easier, perhaps indicating less inflammation. I now wonder if I do have a very mild intolerance. Perhaps many people do and don't know it, not unlike wheat. Maybe quitting has also helped my joints as well as the bone broth.

Worth noting that this is all relative - I felt great before and had long ago beaten the diabetes, but this is definitely next level. Ton of protein yesterday and fasting glucose was still only 4.1 mmol/L this morning, so for sure my glucose has improved further. I can't isolate the cream from the coffee in this regard but it's likely attributable to both.

I realised I was probably addicted to coffee & cream when I found myself aiming to cut down and wasn't really successful. Found myself purposely metering it and setting maximum goals. Classic sign of dependence, so I quit cold turkey. Took a couple of weeks to get over it but now it rarely enters my head.

It's funny how great room temperature bottled water tastes when you're drinking because you're thirsty and not because you're seeking a reward.

EDIT: I am only sharing my experience and I'm in no way suggesting anyone else should care or do the same thing. We each make our own choices, but for me I know my body is happier without the coffee & cream.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Goonergal

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I know it's not Carni, but have you considered swapping in coconut cream for a while, to see if that might help with the symptoms, and/or crack the binding to dairy cream?

(This comes from someone who should trial dairy-free for another condition. I've been "considering it for more than a year now!

I feel your "pain".)

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am also in a similar position. I don't find that it impacts my BG levels (my daily average is between 4.5 and 4.8) but I do find that I am drinking far too much coffee with cream. I swapped to decaf some time ago to see if caffeine was a trigger for migraine, it wasn't but I stuck with it anyway. I also went caffeine free with diet Pepsi at the same time.
I gave up the Pepsi altogether after that and haven't had a migraine since, I think it was whatever sweetener they use. (I was having 15+ migraines a month on 1 can a day)
I would struggle to know what to drink if I gave up coffee. I know water is the best thing but it would be nice to have other options.
@MrsA2 I find that bovril does affect my BG levels quite a bit.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it's not Carni, but have you considered swapping in coconut cream for a while, to see if that might help with the symptoms, and/or crack the binding to dairy cream?

A big fat no! I hate coconut in any form :D

M

Member496333

Coconut cream is still liquid fat and thus very energy dense. So while the substitution would confirm or disconfirm dairy intolerance, it may still potentially block autophagy. If indeed that is what was happening with me. But I'm straying away from the topic. Now where's that ribeye...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod @Bildad @Jim Lahey thanks.

There is no conclusion other than to give up cream. It’s just the doing it - should have tried in the summer when hot drinks were less necessary. Will give the bone broth a try as a carni substitute.

@DCUKMod we could form a ‘giving up cream/dairy’ mini support group

@Bildad I’m fine with Diet Coke. Keto took care of my migraines.

@Jim Lahey talking of ribeye, the butcher didn’t have any this morning, so I made do with 4 Barnsley chops, a pile of oxtail and some short ribs. I only popped out for some fresh air before a meeting.

Reactions: Member496333

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

There is no conclusion other than to give up cream. It’s just the doing it - should have tried in the summer when hot drinks were less necessary. Will give the bone broth a try as a carni substitute.

@Jim Lahey talking of ribeye, the butcher didn’t have any this morning, so I made do with 4 Barnsley chops, a pile of oxtail and some short ribs. I only popped out for some fresh air before a meeting.

I'll support you if I can, but I really have to work out how I keep my calcium levels up, as even on dairy, I run scant levels.

I do need to do that though. (Even I'm bored of myself saying that so often!)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hmmm.. not sure I could do that...