type 2: blood glucose after food

themutant

Ok short and to the point after food my blood glucose can be anywhere from 6.5 to 7.5 is this acceptable or do i need to work harder on the diet? was diagnosed just over a month ago and I'm not sure what else I could cut from my diet.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @themutant and welcome

All depends where you start. Generally we’re looking for a post meal rise of no more than 2 mmols two hours after the first bite of a meal, but those numbers aren’t bad at all so soon after diagnosis.

Have you seen the numbers coming down over the month? And what are you eating in a typical day?

themutant

yes apart from a few spikes into the 7.5 mmol range my numbers have dropped to roughly 6.5 mmol two hours after food.
for reference just before food I'm usually at about 5.5 mmol. as for my diet im mostly eating leafy veg with lots of meat and fish, maybe a bowl of low carb pasta once a week. gotta admit liking the diet so far, miss bread a little so trying lidl low gi rolls tommorrow. i have one square of Godiva 90% dark chocolate a day and a can of Diet Pepsi caffeine free every morning.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes apart from a few spikes into the 7.5 mmol range my numbers have dropped to roughly 6.5 mmol two hours after food.
for reference just before food I'm usually at about 5.5 mmol. as for my diet im mostly eating leafy veg with lots of meat and fish, maybe a bowl of low carb pasta once a week. gotta admit liking the diet so far, miss bread a little so trying lidl low gi rolls tommorrow. i have one square of Godiva 90% dark chocolate a day and a can of Diet Pepsi caffeine free every morning.

Sounds like you’re doing great.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so no need to adjust anything then even the spikes are ok?

A month in those are pretty good readings and doesn’t look like any major spikes. At this stage I’d just keep testing and see whether the readings continue downwards. Then if you want to introduce changes, try and make sure they’re sustainable.

Will be interesting to see what the Lidl low GI bread does. It’s pretty similar in carbs to normal bread.

ExiledJack

Ok short and to the point after food my blood glucose can be anywhere from 6.5 to 7.5 is this acceptable or do i need to work harder on the diet? was diagnosed just over a month ago and I'm not sure what else I could cut from my diet.

Those are absolutely normal post-pandrial blood sugar levels. Well done.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
so no need to adjust anything then even the spikes are ok?
Optimise over time. Maybe walk after a meal, this reduces post meal glucose rises no matter what diet one is on.

Again over time maybe some resistance training - can be with or without weights.

Great things happen when gradual and sustained habits are maintained.

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you are missing bread, why not try livlife? It has 11.6 carbs per 100g which works out at 3.8g per slice. This is what I use and it does not affect my blood glucose when I test. It is available at Waitrose or Ocado at £1.55 per loaf. I know you can get it on Amazon but it is more expensive on there.

themutant

for anyone wondering about the Lidl low GI rolls they gave me a 0.2 rise so if you only have one a day i see no problems. personally i was a bread addict in my previous life so I'm gonna limit myself to only having them on weekends. I've lost over a stone since starting this diet and seeing as I was a lump anyway I'm kinda liking not breathing heavy while climbing the stairs.

Newdb

Hi
Just been newly diagnosed in August. At 15.5 hba1c. However my blood sugar levels now range between 5-7mmol. Just controlling using diet and exercise. However since tge beginning of September I have had a rapid heart beat and constantly feeling shaky as in all the time shaking. I understand from reading that it maybe false hypo symptoms but I thought that after 2 months my body would have adjusted to it but it seems not to want to go anywhere. I am really looking for any one who have had persistent shakes and how long it takes to go away. Really getting worried it maybe something else but doctors say everything else is fine.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Just been newly diagnosed in August. At 15.5 hba1c. However my blood sugar levels now range between 5-7mmol. Just controlling using diet and exercise. However since tge beginning of September I have had a rapid heart beat and constantly feeling shaky as in all the time shaking. I understand from reading that it maybe false hypo symptoms but I thought that after 2 months my body would have adjusted to it but it seems not to want to go anywhere. I am really looking for any one who have had persistent shakes and how long it takes to go away. Really getting worried it maybe something else but doctors say everything else is fine.

Hi @Newdb and welcome. I see you’ve also posted this question as a new thread. You’re likely to get better responses there. I’m linking to it so that anyone wanting to respond to you can do so there: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/new-diagnosed-question-with-shakes.177764/