Annual Check-up

tomcamish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My annual review was booked for a 10 min phone call. Didn't see the point so I cancelled it, i can see what my day to day sugar levels are, what's the doc gonna say that I don't already know.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My annual review was booked for a 10 min phone call. Didn't see the point so I cancelled it, i can see what my day to day sugar levels are, what's the doc gonna say that I don't already know.

I had my annual review during the current lockdown. Went in for bloods and a week later had my 10 min "telephone" review, the DN wanted me to go back in so she could tickle my feet but I declined.

tomcamish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my annual review during the current lockdown. Went in for bloods and a week later had my 10 min "telephone" review, the DN wanted me to go back in so she could tickle my feet but I declined.
I havent even been invited for bloods, just a phone call and to ensure i have at least 2 weeks of readings on my meter.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I had my review cancelled because of the reagent shortage.
I think that I will be at the back of the queue until the backlog clears because I am considered "well controlled" by the surgery.
I imagine that they will prioritise newly diagnosed and those with poor control or other issues for the moment.

On the subject of finger pricks, I don't like needles and was far worse but these days the Lancet devices are almost painless. At least the Abbott one that I use is.
It is the thought not the actual pain.
Worth trying because if you face your fear it sometimes just fades away.

A long time since I played cricket but I seem to recall that mishaps were vastly more painfull than a tiny finger prick.

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had my review cancelled because of the reagent shortage.
I think that I will be at the back of the queue until the backlog clears because I am considered "well controlled" by the surgery.
I imagine that they will prioritise newly diagnosed and those with poor control or other issues for the moment.

On the subject of finger pricks, I don't like needles and was far worse but these days the Lancet devices are almost painless. At least the Abbott one that I use is.
It is the thought not the actual pain.
Worth trying because if you face your fear it sometimes just fades away.

A long time since I played cricket but I seem to recall that mishaps were vastly more painfull than a tiny finger prick.

Thanks LittleGreyCat
You're right about cricket. Tho' injuries prevented me from playing this year I still had lots of batting practice & got hit on the foot & little finger - thought I may have fractured each (fortunately hadn't)
Actually, I have no fear of needles. I will try & work-out how to 'private message' you to explain why I don't, currently, measure my 'glucose levels' regularly.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
My London surgery contacted me for my annual review in early September, 2 months before it was due. Nurse did a thorough job and ordered the usual range of tests. I also asked for and got Vit D and Covid antibody tests. Actually getting the tests done was another story!

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
if this has already been covered in another thread then do let me know please......

Since being diagnosed as T2 approx 6-7 years ago I've had an annual review in which I get told my HbaA1c. But my current review is late & I have no idea if/when it will happen.

Life is too short to try phoning the surgery......
Are others getting/not getting their reviews?
For those who aren't getting a review is anyone planning to get it done 'privately'? if so, where?

Thanks
David
Hello,

I have been able to have two blood tests this since corona and have also been offered a third one.

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My London surgery contacted me for my annual review in early September, 2 months before it was due. Nurse did a thorough job and ordered the usual range of tests. I also asked for and got Vit D and Covid antibody tests. Actually getting the tests done was another story!
Feel free to say 'no' but what is the story? Wild guess: the nurse's name was Kali & in return for the tests you had to sell your soul to her. Thinks - I really must cut back on the vino ;)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Nothing so mystical I'm afraid. Local NHS trust had decided to have a telephone booking system for the various blood clinics. This replaced walk-in. Only they didn't tell anyone! So none of the numbers on the forms worked and it took a fortnight to get the correct number. Then there was the ' you are now 154th in the queue and your call will be answered shortly', literally. The local forums were awash with angry people.
It was only after I did have a test that I realised that the nurse had ordered every test except the HbA1c! So had to start the whole process again!

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nothing so mystical I'm afraid. Local NHS trust had decided to have a telephone booking system for the various blood clinics. This replaced walk-in. Only they didn't tell anyone! So none of the numbers on the forms worked and it took a fortnight to get the correct number. Then there was the ' you are now 154th in the queue and your call will be answered shortly', literally. The local forums were awash with angry people.
It was only after I did have a test that I realised that the nurse had ordered every test except the HbA1c! So had to start the whole process again!
That does ring true. I've long-subscribed to the ****-up theory of history (Hanlon's Razor, perhaps, if you enjoy philosophy. Time to uncork the vino, methinks ;)

Reactions: Dr Snoddy