Zero sugar biscuits, thoughts?

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning folks, I wondered what your thoughts were on these?

I know they’re not the holy grail, but wondering whether one with a cup of tea in my day would affect my Hba1c long term, I think I know the answer but wanted to run it past you wise folks.

Many thanks
IMG_9651.jpg
IMG_9650.jpg

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
They have “cutely” omitted the CARB value. Anything above 15% I’d put em back on the shelf, or, maybe eat one or two. Presently I’ve crept upwards from a stable low morning 6.0 to 7.0 with a carb intake above 100. Not good, but I know now just what my stupid Endocrine system will sustain - and it ain’t 100/day. Yes, check the Nutritional values and for me it’s them Carbs!

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yup, thought so! 68% Carbs.

Reactions: ert

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the feedback, that'll have a detrimental effect long term, boo :arghh:

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
that'll have a detrimental effect long term
Sure, presently, for me, I’m achieving two levels of Diabetic awareness. One, where I’m rigorously keeping to a medium to LOW daily carb intake and two, relaxing to a doubling of my carb intake. It is this second level that can determine how damaged my endocrine system is and just what I need to do and just WHAT I must accept. Control is everything, but knowing just when, FOR ME I can take my foot off of the Brake peddle a little, has become my modus operandi.

I hope my chattering can help.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sure, presently, for me, I’m achieving two levels of Diabetic awareness. One, where I’m rigorously keeping to a medium to LOW daily carb intake and two, relaxing to a doubling of my carb intake. It is this second level that can determine how damaged my endocrine system is and just what I need to do and just WHAT I must accept. Control is everything, but knowing just when, FOR ME I can take my foot off of the Brake peddle a little, has become my modus operandi.

I hope my chattering can help.

Thats really interesting, good analysis of it all as an overview. Im a way off that but have been trial & error along the way for the past 7/8 years since diagnosis.

Running 15/20 miles a week over a few runs boosts my mojo as Ive been feeling really narked and in a dark place since last year, no excuse for poor eating but I believe Ive taken my eye off the ball almost consciously because of it. Eat out to help out maybe wasnt the best for some of us either, even though I was as selective as I could be.

Thanks Jim, its a sad but realistic start to the day, best to clear that one up before too much time passes, next HBA1C in Dec, so want to bring my numbers down as they have crept up a little :sorry:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning folks, I wondered what your thoughts were on these?

I know they’re not the holy grail, but wondering whether one with a cup of tea in my day would affect my Hba1c long term, I think I know the answer but wanted to run it past you wise folks.

Many thanks View attachment 44820View attachment 44821

Hi there. There are a lot of very low carb biscuits you could buy online (with 2/3 carbs or thereabouts) but they are expensive. You could also make your own, tons of recipes online but beware, they use things like almond flour so you have to like the taste of almonds. x

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there. There are a lot of very low carb biscuits you could buy online (with 2/3 carbs or thereabouts) but they are expensive. You could also make your own, tons of recipes online but beware, they use things like almond flour so you have to like the taste of almonds. x

Thats good to know, thank you :happy: I wasnt aware of that! I know they're some element of carb base, and sometimes I just fancy one and for years hadnt so was excited when I saw the Gullon Zero Sugars, I think perhaps making some would be good then I'd have a better idea of content.

What brands do you like, that are low carb, better for us folks please?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats good to know, thank you :happy: I wasnt aware of that! I know they're some element of carb base, and sometimes I just fancy one and for years hadnt so was excited when I saw the Gullon Zero Sugars, I think perhaps making some would be good then I'd have a better idea of content.

What brands do you like, that are low carb, better for us folks please?

Hi there, I sometimes use the DGF brand (Deliciously guilt free), their shortbread biscuits are around 2 carbs each (you will see it shows 15 carbs but the 'effective' carbs, ie the ones that have impact are 2). As for 'better' I'm guessing you mean in terms of raising glucose levels, you would have to try it and test of course. x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bkr - I don't have a sweet tooth and being gluten-free, I can't have anything with wheat (and lots of other things) at all, so I have never tasted these. Someone in my local Diabetes UK group brought a pack of these for with refreshments at "half-time".

They're only 31 calories, if they matter to you, and just under 4gr carb per biscuit. Might be worth a whirl, if a biscuit needs to be in your life, and not too hefty on the pocket.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui.../mcvities-dark-chocolate-digestive-thins-180g

I can't help with any other alternatives, I'm afraid.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bkr - I don't have a sweet tooth and being gluten-free, I can't have anything with wheat (and lots of other things) at all, so I have never tasted these. Someone in my local Diabetes UK group brought a pack of these for with refreshments at "half-time".

They're only 31 calories, if they matter to you, and just under 4gr carb per biscuit. Might be worth a whirl, if a biscuit needs to be in your life, and not too hefty on the pocket.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui.../mcvities-dark-chocolate-digestive-thins-180g

I can't help with any other alternatives, I'm afraid.
We used to have these in the office where I worked. It is impossible to have just one! Utterly, totally impossible no matter how good the will power. They are tiny. Beware, I once ate a whole packet with hardly realising it.
Even though I am a low carb convert now, I still wouldn't trust myself near one.

Some good home made recipes on https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/pages/free-recipe-library, but watch the quantity made and eaten

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We used to have these in the office where I worked. It is impossible to have just one! Utterly, totally impossible no matter how good the will power. They are tiny. Beware, I once ate a whole packet with hardly realising it.
Even though I am a low carb convert now, I still wouldn't trust myself near one.

Some good home made recipes on https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/pages/free-recipe-library, but watch the quantity made and eaten

Not being gluten-free, they'll never be in my life, so, for me, that's not an issue. The reason I mentioned them was to encourage an open minds on "normal" options, as opposed to necessarily either card-heavy, sugar free or niche products, which tend to be pretty costly, by comparison.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had the plain digestive before but I am shocked they are 68 carbs per 100g - the ones I had were in a difference language and I thought it had said 6 carbs per biscuit - very misleading - the only way to check for sure is to test

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had the plain digestive before but I am shocked they are 68 carbs per 100g - the ones I had were in a difference language and I thought it had said 6 carbs per biscuit - very misleading - the only way to check for sure is to test

6 per biscuit could be about right - if a biscuit is about 10gr in weight.

I'll try to remember the things others have brought to the group. If I'm "on teas" I quite often forget to put biccies out. It doesn't take long before the error of my ways is pointed out!

Hey ho. We're all different. :)

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your kind quality input folks, some brilliant information there. I'll check the guilt free options, the thin biscuits are an interesting idea. Its a massive shame about those zero sugar digestives as they taste so good! Everything like this comes at a price :arghh:

Overall, Im as you've mentioned above, I fear glucose spikes and the inevitable rise of the hba1c.

Im glad I ran this one past you all, better than wondering and pressing on regardless!:)

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have sweet tooth and if I really want to find a recipe for baking or making sugar free dessert, I fail. Keto bakings fully of unhealthy oil. If you like,try to make some matcha mousse with your own sugar alternatives. Matcha powder or green tea is good to help your high blood sugar. Drinking lots or occasionally making yourself some alternative dessert may help with your craving.