Private Retinopathy Screening

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the NHS are understandably behind with doing screenings my appointment is ages away. I've decided I want to do a private appointment to ease my worry's but what places actually do them as I'm struggling to find some on Google.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Reactions: JCBBFC27

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the NHS are understandably behind with doing screenings my appointment is ages away. I've decided I want to do a private appointment to ease my worry's but what places actually do them as I'm struggling to find some on Google.

Hi there, I do know that Perspective's optician does them, I think they are a smaller independent firm and I don't know if there is one near you. Make sure that any you do approach does the full testing though rather than the 'basic' NHS testing for diabetes. x

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many small independent opticians have the equipment to take retinal photographs, and some have newer, better equipment than the NHS to do extra scans etc. While it won't give you a comparison to NHS photos, it will show if there is anything that requires further investigation/possible treatment.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine done at a local optician this week. I had paper copies of previous scans so she could compare. I paid £40 but it was worth it because I have had much previous eye trouble (not diabetes related) and my last NHS consult was July 2019, and I should have them 6 monthly

She is writing to my GP telling them in no uncertain terms to reinstate my regular checks. I am waiting to see what they do.

Luckily she doesn't think there's any major change which was reassuring and worth the money.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine done at specsavers a couple of weeks ago I think it cost me £10. They have the modern machines and are able to check if something is not right and then they would obviously refer/advise you on if you needed further help/treatment. I found this re-assuring as the last retinopathy check up I had was over a year ago - the last 2 hospital appointments have been cancelled.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCBBFC27