Type 1 Think I've found the right ratio to carbs.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 units per 10g carbs sends me into a low 1-2 hours after eating and also 1 and a half units also. 1 unit per 10g of carbs isn't enough since it sends my blood glucose above my target range by 2-4.

I figured out that 1 and a quarter units of humalog per 10g of carba keeps my bloods steady and within range. For lunch I had 70g of carbs and my reading was 8.3. So I had 9 units since my pen doesnt dial in halfs or quarters just 1 units. Even though 1.25 x 7 is 8.75 I just rounded it up to 9.

Happy to say it worked out. Could of had 1 more unit to bring to the 5_6 range but with me having a bad hypo this morning I'd rather sit around 6-8 until I can fully understand ny levels after a few days.

I'm so glad I stuck with this ratio and has anyone else heard of 1:25u per 10g before?
Screenshot_20201023-195124_LibreLink.jpg

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 units per 10g carbs sends me into a low 1-2 hours after eating and also 1 and a half units also. 1 unit per 10g of carbs isn't enough since it sends my blood glucose above my target range by 2-4.

I figured out that 1 and a quarter units of humalog per 10g of carba keeps my bloods steady and within range. For lunch I had 70g of carbs and my reading was 8.3. So I had 9 units since my pen doesnt dial in halfs or quarters just 1 units. Even though 1.25 x 7 is 8.75 I just rounded it up to 9.

Happy to say it worked out. Could of had 1 more unit to bring to the 5_6 range but with me having a bad hypo this morning I'd rather sit around 6-8 until I can fully understand ny levels after a few days.

I'm so glad I stuck with this ratio and has anyone else heard of 1:25u per 10g before?View attachment 44843

Hi there, I would say yes, I don't think any of us has a perfect 1 to 10 ratio or whatever to be honest, I think we only have to work to those ratios because the insulin pens are dished out in units of 1 or half units. A non diabetic of course has a pancreas that switches on and off 24/7 dishing out the exact amount of insulin it requires at the exact time, whether that is a whole unit or 0.6 of one. The libre and CGMs work out what amount of insulin a person requires each hour based on what they are using of course and mine shows figures like 0.70 between 5 and 6 and so on. The 1 to 10 is a guesstimate based on the average (and we all know there is no such thing). Also the ratios may change based on what you may have been doing 10 minutes before food such as exercise, the washing or a row with a neighbour! x

Last edited:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so glad I stuck with this ratio and has anyone else heard of 1:25u per 10g before?
As @KK123 said we are all different and whilst some may use 1unit to 10 I suspect not all do by a long way, my ratios are now 1unit:6carbs and 1unit:7 carbs dependent on time of day (meals don't come in multiples of 10 so work it out in 1 unit per how many carbs rather than how many units per 10 carbs)

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you =). Hopefully I've got it right. I'll try to do 1u per 8g of carbs since it's similiar to what I'm doing now with 1.25 per 10. Need to figure out my long acting since when I go to bed my bloods can be 7-9 and during the early morning hours(4-7) my bloods drop to 3.5 or so. Might start either eating some small amount of carbs like a slice of brown bread if I'm below 7 and see if that helps.

Thank you for the advice =).