Type 2 Insulin Types

62Karen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there a Gide to what different insulin types do? I’ve heard someone talk about a long lasting insulin and something about altering dose depending on food (I’m thinking of eating out for birthdays etc)
Advise welcome, I’m currently on Humalin I

62Karen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Should say I’ve been to diabetes page link but is there a more in-depth? I’m increasing at 2u every 3rd day but still high pre lunch/supper and steroid induced- which I’ve just had to increase

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say that the type of insulin you get would be down to your medical team. I was on humulin I and needed novorapid for corrections.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a Gide to what different insulin types do? I’ve heard someone talk about a long lasting insulin and something about altering dose depending on food (I’m thinking of eating out for birthdays etc)
Advise welcome, I’m currently on Humalin I

Hi,

With your current insulin. What is the advice given on the regime? We're there set meal patterns too?

Sounds a little more rigid than the flexibility of MDI.

Reactions: Ceebee2

62Karen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m taking metformin 2 tab twice day, 160mg of gliclazide and now on 16u humalin I morning and supper time, I can increase humalin 2u every third day but my pre lunch/supper BG are 15-18 and it’s not dropping lower.
Morning BG is averaging at 9 (8.4-9,9) so I’m thinking it’s not lasting until 6pm dose, think I need a larger or long lasting in morning and as I started on 10u, I’m thinking how long until I should ring and say can I try a different type? They are ringing me 2nd November but I wanted to do some reading up first so I can have info beforehand

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m taking metformin 2 tab twice day, 160mg of gliclazide and now on 16u humalin I morning and supper time, I can increase humalin 2u every third day but my pre lunch/supper BG are 15-18 and it’s not dropping lower.
Morning BG is averaging at 9 (8.4-9,9) so I’m thinking it’s not lasting until 6pm dose, think I need a larger or long lasting in morning and as I started on 10u, I’m thinking how long until I should ring and say can I try a different type? They are ringing me 2nd November but I wanted to do some reading up first so I can have info beforehand

Hi,

Certainly worth giving your team a ring. Has anything changed recently to throw your BG levels?
Possibly diatary or activity levels? (Appreciated, the all the C19 ferlough mularky happening right now.)