Newly diagnosed diabetic

WinstonR

Morning all.

Apologies if there are already many threads for this topic, but I don't often use forums to be honest.

I have been diagnosed with type 2 this week, still shocked about it to be fair. I would say I have a lot of knowledge about it, a lot of family members have it. My mum has it, all of her brothers and sisters have it. My dad had it. So I've got experience with it. However I'm 34 and to be honest canny scared. I thought at some point in my life I might get it, but never thought it would be so soon. I accept I am massively to blame for this. I have taken a lax approach to nutrition all my life. I do not eat a healthy balanced diet. Before this the only time I ate vegetables was is in soup. That's how bad I am. In retrospect I should have acted sooner and maybe I wouldn't be here now.

But I can't change the past. I've been trying to wrap my head around it all week, how am I going to break habits that I've formed over my lifetime. I understand the benefits of changing, but worried about failing. I've watched my family members start where I am, and then progress to taking insulin. I watched my father die, my uncle lose limbs to it. I don't want to end up like that, but I have to make drastic changes.

I was diagnosed in hospital as my GP thought I might have type 1, but it was type 2. The hospital just gave me some metformin and advised my GP would contact me about a plan. Still waiting on that. Did anyone else feel embarrassed and ashamed about telling people?

Sorry if I'm rambling on, just wanted to give some context as to where I am. I'm really here just looking to see if any of you could offer some advice? If anyone has had a similar mountain to climb and the things you did? Whether people have failed and how they got back on track? I don't really know why I'm here, maybe just looking for some reassurance that the things I'm feeling, others have felt, as my heads all over the place, which might be apparent in the above ramblings.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. First, this is not your fault, it looks like you have a genetic disposition to it.

Most of us use diet to manage our numbers. You need a meter, we can help with that. Read the link in my signature. Read around the forum and ask lots of questions.

Do you know what your hba1c number was?

Reactions: ert

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Morning all.

Apologies if there are already many threads for this topic, but I don't often use forums to be honest.

I have been diagnosed with type 2 this week, still shocked about it to be fair. I would say I have a lot of knowledge about it, a lot of family members have it. My mum has it, all of her brothers and sisters have it. My dad had it. So I've got experience with it. However I'm 34 and to be honest canny scared. I thought at some point in my life I might get it, but never thought it would be so soon. I accept I am massively to blame for this. I have taken a lax approach to nutrition all my life. I do not eat a healthy balanced diet. Before this the only time I ate vegetables was is in soup. That's how bad I am. In retrospect I should have acted sooner and maybe I wouldn't be here now.

But I can't change the past. I've been trying to wrap my head around it all week, how am I going to break habits that I've formed over my lifetime. I understand the benefits of changing, but worried about failing. I've watched my family members start where I am, and then progress to taking insulin. I watched my father die, my uncle lose limbs to it. I don't want to end up like that, but I have to make drastic changes.

I was diagnosed in hospital as my GP thought I might have type 1, but it was type 2. The hospital just gave me some metformin and advised my GP would contact me about a plan. Still waiting on that. Did anyone else feel embarrassed and ashamed about telling people?

Sorry if I'm rambling on, just wanted to give some context as to where I am. I'm really here just looking to see if any of you could offer some advice? If anyone has had a similar mountain to climb and the things you did? Whether people have failed and how they got back on track? I don't really know why I'm here, maybe just looking for some reassurance that the things I'm feeling, others have felt, as my heads all over the place, which might be apparent in the above ramblings.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

I've had had type 1 diabetes for 7 years since I was 17 and I also didn't eat the healthiest.

I think its important to take each day as it comes. You will have good and bad days and it's important not to let the bad days get you down.

Start with cutting down on the snacks/junk, I wouldn't cut it out completely and do it gradually. Sugary snacks aren't a no go it just simply means finding lower carb alternatives for meals and keeping snacks/treats to a minimum.

Testing regularly will allow you to see whether you're on track.

We are all here to give help and advice

WinstonR

Welcome to the forum. First, this is not your fault, it looks like you have a genetic disposition to it.

Most of us use diet to manage our numbers. You need a meter, we can help with that. Read the link in my signature. Read around the forum and ask lots of questions.

Do you know what your hba1c number was?

Hi thanks for the reply, yeah I'm not sure what my hba1c number is yet, waiting for my GP to get back in touch.

I've had a read of the link in your signature, some really good stuff in their thank you. At the minute whilst this is all sinking in I'm trying to get as much knowledge as I possibly can. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

WinstonR

Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

I've had had type 1 diabetes for 7 years since I was 17 and I also didn't eat the healthiest.

I think its important to take each day as it comes. You will have good and bad days and it's important not to let the bad days get you down.

Start with cutting down on the snacks/junk, I wouldn't cut it out completely and do it gradually. Sugary snacks aren't a no go it just simply means finding lower carb alternatives for meals and keeping snacks/treats to a minimum.

Testing regularly will allow you to see whether you're on track.

We are all here to give help and advice
emoji4.png

Thanks for reply.

Aye just trying wrap my head around it. Diet changes are going to be hard as I love junk food

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are all sorts of things you can do to help with diet changes. First stop is dietdoctor.com.

Google fat head dough for pizza.

Google keto snacks. Google anything you fancy, just put keto first.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @WinstonR . I suspect that you have an idea that if you'd been eating a so-called healthy diet you might have avoided T2D. This is most unlikely since it was by following a 'healthy heart way of eating' for over 10years that I got T2D.
Not only that but it made me slightly overweight and probably contributed to by needing a triple bypass.
It was by reverting to a slightly more extreme version of my original Low carb High(er) traditional fat way of eating that I took control of my T2D and went from a BMI 26 to one of 22 without actually trying to lose any weight.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

I completely agree with @ianf0ster . What is touted as a 'healthy diet' is actually not that good for people who can't process carbs in the 'normal' way.

I agree it is a genetic predisposition but if you don't know that your body is not tolerating carbs well there is no reason to reduce them particularly 'healthy carbs'.

Yes most of us probably could have eaten better but most us us would have been even better off vastly reducing our carbs much earlier and following the 'fad' diet of keto. The reality is that it is going top take quite a few more years before the medial profession come truely on board with the proven method of reducing your blood sugar levels. I know that my doctor really didn't believe that I ate very little and a lot of 'healthy' carbs- it is how I became very overweight and diabetic. My husband on the other hand is very slim despite consuming more carbs than should be possible. He's in his mid 50s so don't see that changing.

Anyway to get to the point- the diagnosis is overwhelming. It can feel like there is a lot to get your head around so I will give you one link to read below and one bit of advice- the advice is to get a meter and test your levels. The link is below.

Good luck and welcome.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Lofrina

Hello there Winston. I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and it is quite a shock. This is my first post on this forum and have no experience of diabetes at all. Nothing in the family. At the moment I am feeling very guilty and embarrassed and have only told my husband and daughter.. I too have not been very careful with my diet over the years (I have a terrible sweet tooth) but I am determined to get to grips with this and hope to be able to do it by diet. I have been told by the diabetic nurse that 50% effort is diet and 50% exercise. I have been given 12 weeks to get on the road by myself and then they will test again. You have a head start of me, I think, because you have knowledge and a better understanding than I do. I dothink it is important not to let this get you down and personally, I am going to do my best to get active and beat this. I think I must be older than you (I am74) so if an oldie is going to do her best to sort it then I hope you will be able to as well.Good luck with the journey Winston. You can do this.

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hello there Winston. I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and it is quite a shock. This is my first post on this forum and have no experience of diabetes at all. Nothing in the family. At the moment I am feeling very guilty and embarrassed and have only told my husband and daughter.. I too have not been very careful with my diet over the years (I have a terrible sweet tooth) but I am determined to get to grips with this and hope to be able to do it by diet. I have been told by the diabetic nurse that 50% effort is diet and 50% exercise. I have been given 12 weeks to get on the road by myself and then they will test again. You have a head start of me, I think, because you have knowledge and a better understanding than I do. I dothink it is important not to let this get you down and personally, I am going to do my best to get active and beat this. I think I must be older than you (I am74) so if an oldie is going to do her best to sort it then I hope you will be able to as well.Good luck with the journey Winston. You can do this.
Doc gave me the 12 week challenge too. Low carb, high exercise, consistent sleep worked wonderfully. It’s been 8 months, the sweet tooth goes away with time

WinstonR

Hi Lofrina, Thank you for the kind words. Apologies for taking this long to reply. I'm not big on posting on forums to be honest. But trying. It's been a bumpy few months, I've consistently lost weight, however this has been a lot smaller than I'd like. I've just started the fast 800 this week and that's going well. Gyms have opened up which is another bonus. Although as I write this having not done weights for a year, my arms can barely move, but I suppose no pain no gain. I unfortunately wasn't where I wanted to be after the initial 12 weeks and the doctor increased my Metformin. I have also been having tests as they believe I have non-fatty liver disease. Which is why I'm doing the fast 800 as I need rapid weight loss in the next 2 months before I get my results. I hope you aren't feeling guilty and embarrassed anymore, but I totally understand as I was like that myself. However my mindset has since changed, and hoping yours has or will. I'm no longer down about my diagnosis. What I am is determined, determined to do what I need to do go into remission and come off medication. Its going to be a long road, I'll make mistakes, fall off the wagon, but ultimately will stick to this goal. I read your post a while ago and it really helped, I'm 35 and when I was diagnosed I pretty much thought my life was over. But reading the forums here and generally trying to look after myself, I've realised that this disease is so manageable, How have you been getting on with all of this?