Libre Applicator Disposal

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm new to using Freestyle Libre and just wandering which parts I need to put in a sharps bin and which parts can go in a normal recycle bin as it's all plastic.
Thanks
Georgiee

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm new to using Freestyle Libre and just wandering which parts I need to put in a sharps bin and which parts can go in a normal recycle bin as it's all plastic.
Thanks
Georgiee

Hi there, I was told it can all go in the bin and that none of it needed to go in a sharps bin as it doesn't have a needle as such, just a filament.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there, I was told it can all go in the bin and that none of it needed to go in a sharps bin as it doesn't have a needle as such, just a filament.
The applicator has a needle in it though - admittedly it is hidden once its been used but its still definitely there :)

Reactions: Georgiee

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The applicator has a needle in it though - admittedly it is hidden once its been used but its still definitely there :)

Ah, thanks for that, maybe the actual sensor should go into the sharps box then, thank you.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah, thanks for that, maybe the actual sensor should go into the sharps box then, thank you.
I had that conversation with my doctors, cos the sensor itself doesn't have anything sharp (only the applicator does) but it does have a battery in it, I know the sharps bins I have says it will be incinerated, so I don't put then in the sharps bins as |I'm not sure you really want to incinerate batteries :)

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just had Libre training and the applicator had to go in sharps because it has a needle to guide the filament into the skin, and the actual Libre sensor has to, because although not ‘sharp’ it has been inside your body so they recommend it goes in sharps too :)

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Rokaab yes you are right while I was looking for this info on the web I came across a YouTube video of someone taking the applicator apart and like you said although very small it's there. But I still wasn't able to find any clear indication of which bits are to go in a shapes bin . I'm only asking as I need to get a larger bin I think.

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yep, I put my senor in the sharps in but I've got a applicators I need to dispose of. Tried a live chat with Abbots a few times but I never seem to get connected to an agent

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
because although not ‘sharp’ it has been inside your body so they recommend it goes in sharps too :)
Well it has no more extra risk than a plaster with blood on it and they always just go in normal bins

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just had Libre training and the applicator had to go in sharps because it has a needle to guide the filament into the skin, and the actual Libre sensor has to, because although not ‘sharp’ it has been inside your body so they recommend it goes in sharps too :)
Thanks@Emily95 so do you put all parts that come in the pack in a shapes bin ie the Grey bit too? Has I believe this doesn't any sharp bits in?
Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I'm disposing of everything right

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Interesting discussion.

I seperate the various applicator bits into plain plastic, which goes into the recycling, and mixed (with metal bits in) which goes into the waste.
I put the used sensor into the sharps bin.

Looks like I may be doing it wrong.

If the spring bit has to go in the sharps bin, going to need a bigger sharps bin!!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
A used sensor only has a small very flexible filament that is incapable of penetrating skin so no reason to put it in a sharps bin.
Most, if not all of the plastics in an applicator can't be reycled (at least not where we live) so I put them in the general waste. There's no risk from the needle in the applicator as it is safely retracted.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
because although not ‘sharp’ it has been inside your body so they recommend it goes in sharps too :)

Heaven knows what they do with the household waste coming from any women of reproductive age in their house then.....
Going to need a lot of sharps bins.

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never said I agreed with them, just that this was what the lady from Abbott said!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had that conversation with my doctors, cos the sensor itself doesn't have anything sharp (only the applicator does) but it does have a battery in it, I know the sharps bins I have says it will be incinerated, so I don't put then in the sharps bins as |I'm not sure you really want to incinerate batteries :)

Oh dear, I'm being dim today. I was thinking you meant the sensor itself had a needle!! Now I know you mean the applicator (like you said). Apologies for confusing the thread!! x

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Well dunno if I’m the odd one out here but it would be normal if I was lol but the clear plastic cover And the cardboard box for the applicator goes in my recycle bin and everything else goes into general waste bin ,

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s a mess.

Why there is not just one clear set of rules of what to do with the waste

Last year I was put on Libre & told at the group training meeting with the Libre Rep only to put the sensor in the SHRAPS bin the rest in a normal waste bin.

Then I found out short time ago a friend had just started with Libre & they got told the sensor has to go in normal waste because of its battery & the applicator goes in the SHARPS bin because of the needle in it.

I asked my diabetic team ( a different nurse to one that did my training on Libre ) & she blow a fuse when I said what I was doing with the waste & sent a letter to my Doc’s to order me a new SHARPS bin with a wide hole in it to take the applicator.

I asked on this forum a while ago what others do

and we are all doing different things & been told different things from their own teams & Libre Reps.

For such a standard thing that all of us using a Libre have.

Why all the confusion over what should happen the waste.

Didn’t the N.H.S think there would be any waste parts from using a Libre

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It’s a mess.

Why there is not just one clear set of rules of what to do with the waste

Last year I was put on Libre & told at the group training meeting with the Libre Rep only to put the sensor in the SHRAPS bin the rest in a normal waste bin.

Then I found out short time ago a friend had just started with Libre & they got told the sensor has to go in normal waste because of its battery & the applicator goes in the SHARPS bin because of the needle in it.

I asked my diabetic team ( a different nurse to one that did my training on Libre ) & she blow a fuse when I said what I was doing with the waste & sent a letter to my Doc’s to order me a new SHARPS bin with a wide hole in it to take the applicator.

I asked on this forum a while ago what others do

and we are all doing different things & been told different things from their own teams & Libre Reps.

For such a standard thing that all of us using a Libre have.

Why all the confusion over what should happen the waste.

Didn’t the N.H.S think there would be any waste parts from using a Libre
@pear5961 I agree this is a mess! I don't understand why there us not clear institutions on the packing or information leaflet inside.

It seems everyone is being told different things, I going to order Big Sharps bin as I only get a little one on prescription from the doctors. I've looked on Amazon and they're not too expensive.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The battery in the sensor is a Lithium-Ion battery these batteries are causing a lot of problems in recycling processing as if pierced they become volatile and can explode and cause fires this seems to be quite a common occurrence of late so they should not be placed in a recycling bin.