Tickleflex

Trinakt

Hi. My daughter has recently been diagnosed with type 1. She has a phobia of needles so I bought her a tickleflex. The problem now is that some of the insulin is leaking and we don't know how much is being lost.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the TickleFlex when injecting. After administering I leave the needle inserted for 30 seconds before removing.

However, I do find that the needle tends to have a tiny drop of insulin still on it.

I inject 16 units, and based on my following readings afterwards they implied that all of the dosage is received.

If you are finding after the insulin has been administered there is a tiny amount left on the needle, I wouldn’t stress to much. When you then do you’re daughters blood glucose reading afterwards the reading should indicate that most of insulin has been received.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just wondering how people were getting on with the TickleFlex?

After 2 weeks of injecting I’m finding it is becoming a really stressful experience. I went looking on YouTube to make sure I’m doing it correctly and came across this device.

What’s your experience? @Libby3781 and @Trinakt

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

After 2 weeks of injecting I’m finding it is becoming a really stressful experience. I went looking on YouTube to make sure I’m doing it correctly and came across this device.

Hi @TashT1 you may want to start a new thread on this as the 2 people who posted have not been on the forum for a long while

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Tash,

I’ve had a mixed experience with the TickleFlex. Initially I got on well, then I seemed to have a hit & miss stage. Sometimes getting the full injection amount other times, only half the dose.

What size injections you using? I used 3mm. Maybe you need a larger or smaller needle.
Try not to think to much as you do it, I know that probably sounds silly. I found the more I thought beforehand the harder it became to do.

Now, I alternate between the TickleFlex & the Iport.

I can only inject using the devices, unfortunately there’s no way I can inject without. Find it impossible to administer insulin otherwise.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey thanks for your thoughts.

I’m using 4mm needles, sometimes it’s great and I don’t feel a thing, other times I find the Lantus really burns & it’s quite a high does I think at 28 units.

Maybe I am over thinking it but after 4 kids I’ve got a lot of stretch marks to dodge on my stomach. But I’m considering trying to inject into my thighs, but that seems daunting too.

How do you gage whether your getting the full dose or not?

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I’m using 4mm needles, sometimes it’s great and I don’t feel a thing, other times I find the Lantus really burns & it’s quite a high does I think at 28 units.

Maybe I am over thinking it but after 4 kids I’ve got a lot of stretch marks to dodge on my stomach. But I’m considering trying to inject into my thighs, but that seems daunting too.

Hi Tash,

The way I’ve gaged whether I’ve had my full dose or not is whether I’ve had insulin running down my clothes. As I’ve administered.

Maybe a smaller needle may help. When you administer do you press down fully so the grippers turn in?

I’ve personally found the TickleFlex more painful when I’ve used a larger needle.
Like I said, I use 3mm for the TickleFlex & for the iport I use 6mm, on the odd occasion I’ve used the 6mm instead with the TickleFlex.

gto19660

Hi and how are you doing I hope everything's going well. I just wanted to add that I to take Lantus at night and I use a 6 mm needle on my Flex pen. My regular dose is 38 units and sometimes I feel a little bit of burning so I think that's normal hope you found this helpful

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus is known to be quite acidic, which is probably the cause of the burning sensation. I occasionally found this pretty dreadful for a few minutes. I found the answer is to inject into an area with more fat, so I now use my thighs for Lantus, which works fine.

eshobabu

Hi. My daughter has recently been diagnosed with type 1. She has a phobia of needles so I bought her a tickleflex. The problem now is that some of the insulin is leaking and we don't know how much is being lost.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I seem to have the same problem.

Can you please advise what did you do ? Am I doing it wrong? My problem is my daughter only needs 0.5 to 1 unit, and even a little mistake means she is getting no insulin.