Too many things going on at the same time - confusing

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Posted here because of wide ranging subjects.
Noting that I'm not asking for solutions, but would welcome comments about similar experiences.

I have had a complicated week or so.

• Experimented with Seriously Low Carb Rolls
  • Became far more stringent about very low carb eating
    • Due to this I've started eating a lot less, and OMAD
  • Gave up beer
  • Had flu and shingles vaccinations on the same day
I have had some interesting changes in how my body feels but as so much has been changing it has been difficult to pin down cause and effect.

The main changes I have encountered have been excessive tiredness and often nausea after eating.
Although I did manage a 26 mile bicycle ride last Thursday followed by a roughly 3 mile walk later in the day because it was such a beautiful day. So I don't think that I am undernourished, especially with the spare fat stores I have.

Tiredness and wanting to curl up in a corner is how my body normally reacts to a low grade infection, so that could tie in to my body fighting the vaccines (especially the live shingles one).

The nausea is less typical.

It is all very confusing because the first bout of nausea coincided with eating a meal with a lot of fat - 2 * burgers, bacon (which also added a lot of fat), eggs (I think) and fried tomatoes. Then again I had eaten much the same the day before (without the bacon) and had no adverse effect.

Coincidentally my order of four Seriously Low Carb Rolls had turned up.
They needed eating in the next 3-4 days.
However I had read a post which suggested there could be an adverse reaction to these in some people.
So when I ate these (which were not bad, will report in another thread) I wondered if their difference from bread was enough to make me feel queasy.
I will say that eating something then feeling queasy can prejudice you against a food.
Which is a shame because it may be totally unrelated to these rolls.

I have also cut out any comfort/padding foods which contained carbohydrates.
I have indulged myself a bit over spring/summer but now I am tightening up on my diet.
Things like baked beans which are a comfort food and which previously haven't seemed to spike my BG.
So proteins and fats, and one meal a day (discounting morning coffee/butter/cream). Mainly because this was all I wanted to eat. My appetite (and possibly my stomach) had shrunk.

So I cannot really tie down cause and effect.
I do know that my BG control has improved (although inexplicably erratically) and that I have lost a few pounds in weight.

Any way, rant over.
I intend to get some more low carbohydrate bread related substances because I am starting to feel hungry again now I have eaten my first batch up.
Although that may be due to the lack of a bulk filler or due to a recovery from the effects of the vaccinations.
Difficult, isn't it? :banghead:

Reactions: ert

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Noting that I'm not asking for solutions, but would welcome comments about similar experiences.

• Gave up beer
I have had some interesting changes in how my body feels but as so much has been changing it has been difficult to pin down cause and effect.

The main changes I have encountered have been excessive tiredness and often nausea after eating.
Although I did manage a 26 mile bicycle ride last Thursday followed by a roughly 3 mile walk later in the day because it was such a beautiful day. So I don't think that I am undernourished, especially with the spare fat stores I have.

Tiredness and wanting to curl up in a corner is how my body normally reacts to a low grade infection, so that could tie in to my body fighting the vaccines (especially the live shingles one).

It is all very confusing because the first bout of nausea coincided with eating a meal with a lot of fat - 2 * burgers, bacon (which also added a lot of fat), eggs (I think) and fried tomatoes. Then again I had eaten much the same the day before (without the bacon) and had no adverse effect.

However I had read a post which suggested there could be an adverse reaction to these in some people.
So when I ate these (which were not bad, will report in another thread) I wondered if their difference from bread was enough to make me feel queasy.
I will say that eating something then feeling queasy can prejudice you against a food.

I have indulged myself a bit over spring/summer but now I am tightening up on my diet.
Things like baked beans which are a comfort food and which previously haven't seemed to spike my BG.
So proteins and fats, and one meal a day (discounting morning coffee/butter/cream). Mainly because this was all I wanted to eat. My appetite (and possibly my stomach) had shrunk.

I do know that my BG control has improved (although inexplicably erratically) and that I have lost a few pounds in weight.

Any way, rant over.
I intend to get some more low carbohydrate bread related substances because I am starting to feel hungry again now I have eaten my first batch up.
Although that may be due to the lack of a bulk filler or due to a recovery from the effects of the vaccinations.
My only comment is that I didn't know there was a shingles vaccine. I will look into getting one of those. A friend of mine was off work for a month with shingles and he is 20 years younger than me.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My only comment is that I didn't know there was a shingles vaccine. I will look into getting one of those. A friend of mine was off work for a month with shingles and he is 20 years younger than me.

Shingles vaccine should be offered to anyone over 70 as a matter of course.

The sequence for me was:
blood test cancelled due to regent shortage
called separately for flu immunisation because this was normally done at review time but that might be a while away
noted by person booking appointment that I had (just) qualified for the shingles vaccine and that was added to the list.

If you are older than you look, then ask them. :)

My partner has had shingles twice!
Not sure where that stands in relation to needing immunisation.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Why are you ranting about those outcomes..?

Because I feel like excrement, and I don't know why and I don't know if it is due to my dietary choices.

Reactions: hankjam

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I feel like excrement, and I don't know why and I don't know if it is due to my dietary choices.
I'll have a stab at the double vaccines.. but you knew I'd say that..
Friend of ours currently has shingles (I think brought on by the flu vaccine lowering immune system).
Extremely painful and nasty as well as quite long lived.

Reactions: Flora123

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd be inclined to blame the 2 vaccines.

But I also know I feel horrible for a few days if cutting out/down on carbs and upping fat.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now unfortunately, for you, my mantra is "One change at a time, else we can't tell what makes the difference" is in play here.

To be honest, I'd tend to look towards the vaccines, and hopefully a day or two would see that probability shown or not. Thereafter I'd tend to at least think in my mind, maybe itt was just all too much at once - assaulted from all angles.

If "we" accept you can't undo the vaccines, I might be inclined to try to ride it out, carrying on for now, with the other changes. As you currently have no more rolls (I think), I'd wait before considering another order, then try them again in isolation.

I know. I'm just a killjoy!

Reactions: Japes

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Friend of ours currently has shingles (I think brought on by the flu vaccine lowering immune system).
Has your friend seen a doctor? My son and I have both had shingles. The antivirals helped immensely both in reducing the length of the outbreak and in reducing the pain level.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has your friend seen a doctor? My son and I have both had shingles. The antivirals helped immensely both in reducing the length of the outbreak and in reducing the pain level.
Yes he has painkiller cream and some other bits but he's on quite a few meds already for other things so no antivirals so far as I know.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

The NHS say "Very occasionally, people develop a chickenpox-like illness following shingles vaccination (fewer than 1 in 10,000 individuals)." Baring in mind what they say about statins that number of people with side effects of this jab could easily be higher.

I expect you knew that but . . . . . . The other thing I thought interesting was "The vaccine contains a weakened chickenpox virus (varicella-zoster virus). It's similar, but not identical to, the chickenpox vaccine."

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally and on many low carb groups have seen similar. The nausea isn’t uncommon when adding fats and dropping carbs. I also lost my appetite completely for a short while. Again not uncommon. It settles. I eased back on fats a bit to help the process along. I had enough of my own.

The tiredness might well be other things but it could also be the transition between using carbs and not yet being fat adapted. So for right now there’s no steady source of energy. Again it passes as your body gets better at accessing its own fat stores. It’s often recommended people don’t exercise too hard in the few weeks around the switch and keep it more steady . Make sure hydration is good and electrolytes (sodium potassium and magnesium) are all well supplied as it helps the transition. Sometimes quite a lot. Hope you feel better soon.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Too many things going on all at once to identify a single culprit. Suggest monitor for a few more days, but if it gets worse back to doctor.
Could also try adding a little more salt and water/fluid daily

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does the flu vaccine lower the immune system?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

• Gave up beer

Any way, rant over.
I have had the seriously low carb rolls and loaves and didn't notice any adverse effects. Thoroughly enjoyed them actually but some people on here like you say have had some problems and if you do get them again they keep for up to 1 week in the fridge and they taste just as good if they have been frozen and thawed out - I am a bit funny about frozen foods but these are fine.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does the flu vaccine lower the immune system?

Ageing lowers the immune system and I'd hazard a guess that sticking some other gubbins into your body to create some antibody response to flu could well weaken it for a while.

Some of the symptoms of having the vaccine could also explain feeling like c**p after you've had it.

One of the reasons I always say no and concentrate more on getting as healthy as possible.

Gibson01

I’m sorry maybe I’m on the wrong forum but I am type 2 and struggling I’m ashamed to say my reading this morning was 20.5 a decrease from before