Is Toujeo better than Lantus for controlling blood sugar levels?

paulmacca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been advised by my Diabetes Consultant to switch from 34 units of Lantus to 30 of Toujeo to help reduce low blood sugars in morning.Does anyone have any experience of using Lantus then switching to Toujeo?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been advised by my Diabetes Consultant to switch from 34 units of Lantus to 30 of Toujeo to help reduce low blood sugars in morning.Does anyone have any experience of using Lantus then switching to Toujeo?
Is there a reason you don't want to just lower your lantus dose?

paulmacca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a reason you don't want to just lower your lantus dose?

Been advised that Toujeo gives better control than Lantus.Also, I occasionally forget my night time Lantus and my consultant says that Toujeo lasts for 30 hours therefore would be better if I forgot my night time injection?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Account

What does "give better control" mean?
If the idea is to best meet your basal needs, I would imaging a pump is the best solution ... and you don't need to remember to take your night time basal dose.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Toujeo has been shown to have less variable absorption over its lifetime in the body than Lantus, and in clinical trials was shown to cause fewer nocturnal hypos, so in that sense, your consultant is correct, and that's why they are recommending you change to it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Been advised that Toujeo gives better control than Lantus.Also, I occasionally forget my night time Lantus and my consultant says that Toujeo lasts for 30 hours therefore would be better if I forgot my night time injection?
I've had levermir, insulatard in pregnancy then a mixed humulin but toujeo300 is turning out very very good for my bgs and I'm obese so helping with losing weight too. Today I've had steady 5s.
I haven't used lantus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cumberland

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Toujeo has been shown to have less variable absorption over its lifetime in the body than Lantus, and in clinical trials was shown to cause fewer nocturnal hypos, so in that sense, your consultant is correct, and that's why they are recommending you change to it.
I've had a bit somogyi effect through my night sleep on toujeo300. On reducing dose it has stopped.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I swapped a year ago. Like the fact that I don't have to do two injections with it. However, it hasn't stopped my morning rises unfortunately.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I swapped a year ago. Like the fact that I don't have to do two injections with it. However, it hasn't stopped my morning rises unfortunately.
Mine neither. I have to currently take 10units of insulin with my coffee with my only calcium; milk. Then breakfast with 15units after school drop.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
We're all different so what works for one won't work for another

I have been on the basal roundabout of Insulatard, levemir, lantus and humulin non of them gave me any relief from high levels

I was switched to Toujeo last July and thankfully it has worked wonders for me

Good luck to the OP

Reactions: ickihun

Galvatron81

Hi,

I was put onto Toujeo from Lantus in may because my evening meal sugars were rising. DN felt that it may have been the duration of Lantus running out (inject at 7 pm).

I was advised to inject the same units (22). On both Lantus and Toujeo my bloods tend to raise naturally around 8 am - not sure why. As long as Wake up before then and inject for breakfast I’m normally okay. Sometimes I have the pre - dawn phenomena (low at 3 am) but liver must kick out glucose because I’ll go down to 3 ish then rise again.

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Toujeo and lantus are trade names of Glargine. The only difference I can see is Toujeo has 3 times more insulin per mil than standard insulin according to patient leaflet.