Omnipod dash, day 2, I'm amazed

Serial45

Hey guys,

So I received my omnipod last monday. Have a zoom meeting half day session on monday to learn how to use it..spoke to my diabetic nurse on Friday she gave me some initial settings to use.

I've been a little naughty and started using it myself. Read the manual and watched a few YouTube videos.

The nurse recommended i start off on 1.05 units of fiasp as my basal insulin. I was using around 40 units a day of levirmir, I feel I built up a bit of a resistance to it. My blood sugars have been spiking low all day and night so I've gone ahead and lowered my dosage to 0.85. I can't believe how much more reactive my bloods are after one days use! I ate a sourdough sandwich before and my blood stayed below 7.5. I've already fallen in love with it.
Going to have a high protein meal later and split my bolus across a further 5 hours to handle the conversion to glucogen.

Absolutely amazed. I had concerns the other day about the 200 unit limitation. The way things are going I'll be down to 100 haha!

Reactions: Sibyl and Chas C

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can, please keep us updated! I for one, find this very interesting. x

Serial45

If you can, please keep us updated! I for one, find this very interesting. x
Absolutely loving day three on the pump.

I can't actually comprehend how good it is compared to Injectons.

I've lowered my basal insulin to 0.85 per hour. I think my body wasnt working with levirmir anymore I was on almost 40 units a day.

I had 3 units of insulin for a 15g of carb meal this morning!!!3 units!!! I would usually have 10-15 units in the morning. My bloods stayed between 4 and 7 the whole time.

I seem to be needing about a third of the amount of insulin! Amazed.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely loving day three on the pump.

I can't actually comprehend how good it is compared to Injectons.

I've lowered my basal insulin to 0.85 per hour. I think my body wasnt working with levirmir anymore I was on almost 40 units a day.

I had 3 units of insulin for a 15g of carb meal this morning!!!3 units!!! I would usually have 10-15 units in the morning. My bloods stayed between 4 and 7 the whole time.

I seem to be needing about a third of the amount of insulin! Amazed.

Wow. I'm guessing what this system does is spread the insulin out over the day (hour by hour?) so it follows the action of a working pancreas instead of injecting it all at once or twice a day etc? x

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've received my dash, zoom meeting on Wed.

It's been recommended I stick with humalog for now, but I can see the benefit of Fiasp with this system.

Reactions: Serial45

Serial45

Wow. I'm guessing what this system does is spread the insulin out over the day (hour by hour?) so it follows the action of a working pancreas instead of injecting it all at once or twice a day etc? x
Yeah it trickles it in over the day. You can split one unit into 20 parts pretty darn awesome. So you could have 1.05 units

Reactions: KK123

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my video conference, 2hrs, feeling pretty frazzled.
Interesting they reduce your insulin TDD by around 25%

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 bad hypos one last night after dinner and one before breakfast this morning.

No bolus with breakfast, and temp reduced basal. Some energetic manual work this morning so I'll have to keep a close eye on things.

I suspect I've the wrong basal profile.

Ho long did it take you to get a balance?

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Plenty of basal tweaking.

I'm pleased how adjustable and easy everything is, previous MDI routine would take me days to access a new basal rate.

Reactions: Sibyl

Po girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Everyone,
I'm 62 with T1 and have been injecting since I was 17 with great control so was lucky. However, there's always an however! The last 2yrs I've gradually lost hypo symptoms and food seems to be taking longer to absorb through my stomach so insulin and levels all over the place and some days I'm having up to 8 injections a day as needed?
Don't know what's gone wrong but docs have suggested the Omnipod now. I was offered the pump with tubes hanging everywhere in the past but refused but going to give this one a go - although apprehensive some of the info on here looks good?
Any tips would be great? I see the consult about it on 30th Nov so probably a bit to go with training etc before I get one?

Reactions: Sibyl

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like you I'm in my 60s although I've been T1 for 40+yrs, good control but MDI

I started on a libre, very liberating, 6 months ago. 2 weeks ago I started on an omnipod, it's great.

Plus sides. Easy for a correction bolus, variable basal, infinitely adjustable, I'm still carrying out tweaks to the settings. The PDM is pretty good too.
I think after 2 weeks, I'm starting to get the hang of it, my carb to insulin varies on an hour to hour basis, so I still need a bit of gumption and human input.

Reactions: Sibyl and Olihill99

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! How’s it going now? Still impressed? I’m getting mine early December. So interested to hear the continuing stories! I believe the PDM is a Samsung phone with the phone bits disabled. Any idea which model? Thought a hard screen protector might be in order.