Hypo awareness dogs...

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I never knew these existed until a couple of months ago when I saw 1 in my local tescos!!!!! I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in them?
I'm just asking really to see whether or not it would be something I would be considered for, my daytime hypo awareness is better than it used to be (before I went onto pump) but still sketchy however my nighttime hypo awareness is scary... I'm lucky atm I have my hubby to assist me but he is out of work and considering jobs which would take him away from home for weeks at a time however that leaves me with a bit of a problem... 3 or 4 times a month I will have a nighttime hypo out of the blue which requires glucogon and then usually lasts for 4hours+ and I am scared stiff I will have 1 when he is not home, especially with having a 3 and a not quite 1 year old at home to look after.
I am no an insulin pump, and am going to ask in my next appointment if NHS would fund for a CGM but I'm looking at all options :)

Cheryl

I saw one for the first time a couple of weeks ago when I popped into my pump clinic for an impromptu discussion about a new pump. Apparently they're funded by Diabetes UK. My partner saw one shortly after that too in the city centre where he works (could have been the same one, only about 35 miles from whre I saw one at the hosptial).

That's all I know.

Push for CGM funding, it is possible to get. I was recently told that they wouldn't even ask for me as I wouldn't get it, but that there are two people at my pump clinic who do (one is the lady with the dog who apaprently found that CGM wasn't any good for her).

Elc1112

Hi. I've never heard of them. But I think it is something you should look into if you have trouble spotting hypos. I'm lucky in that my hypo awareness has always been really good. I do know, though, that it can be rally scary if you have a bad one and nobody is around. Good luck with the CGM too. It sounds like you have a good case. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

I've heard of them, ive also heard of people's normal pet's sort of becoming one of their own accord!

If you don't have hypo awareness they can be life savers as well as best friends!

I'm not sure where you apply for one but go for it if you think you'd benefit from getting one, keep all your options open, having no hypo awareness is something you should definately look at solving, be it with a hypo-dog or CGM good luck to you :)

microfazer

Dislikes
man-made in$ulin$, lack of C-peptide, in$ulin propaganda, half-wit medical personnel, insulin bottles that are so much thinner than beer bottles
if it were me, i'd try a switch to porcine insulins first. can be tried/sussed out in a matter of days, and canine plan can still happen if that doesnt sort things.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I know about them :) Look for the website Medical Detection Dogs. If you'd like to support them with fundraising please visit this page http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/cause ... ctiondogs/ every time you shop online at places like Amazon or buy insurance etc, if you visit this page first and then go to your online retailer from there the retailer will make a donation to the charity.

Herbie72

I'm never quite sure what the tabloids are referring to as a 'nasty' or 'severe' form of diabetes. Which is what they usually say when writing about diabetics with hypo-awareness dogs.

microfazer

Dislikes
man-made in$ulin$, lack of C-peptide, in$ulin propaganda, half-wit medical personnel, insulin bottles that are so much thinner than beer bottles
Herbie72 said:
I'm never quite sure what the tabloids are referring to as a 'nasty' or 'severe' form of diabetes. Which is what they usually say when writing about diabetics with hypo-awareness dogs.

nasty/severe diabetes is a relatively recent phenom. occurs mostly in tabloids.

jopar

Both my two dogs can detect hypo's, it's something that they've done on their own accord, last year they proved a life saver for my husband (t1 as well) when he took them out over the park for a walk, he forgotten both his hypo kit and mobile phone... And the mild hypo he had while he was out, turned into a major hypo and the dogs got him home as far as they could, then one stayed with him while my more nervous dog Jones, came home to raise the alarm.. When we got to my husband not only was he in a diabetic coma, but was also had hypothermia took an hour to stabilise him in the ambulance before being blue lighted into A&E..

You use a high value reward/treat (high value to them) I would go for chicken, and you use these treats only for hypo/hyper awareness training and nothing else, every time you test your BG you get them to sniff your hand, if you are hypo or high then give them a treat, if you aren't then they don't get anything.. They will learn in time that when they sense your hypo/hyper they get a the 'prized' treat and will start warning you to get said treat..

If anybody is interested in getting a dog for training, I do suggest that they pick a small breed as Ellie is a German Shepherd and Jones is a German Shepherd/Corgi cross... And a 30kg German Shepherd bouncing on you in the early hours of the morning to wake you up (generally because Hubby is having the night time hypo) isn't fun.

If you want a dog that is licensed as a Assistance Dog so it can go everywhere with you, there are a couple of charities that will help you train your own dog up to the correct standard required to get their Assistance dog Registration

Here http://medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk the main one, but do google as there are several other charities that help with training as well..

Herbie72

jopar said:
Both my two dogs can detect hypo's, it's something that they've done on their own accord, last year they proved a life saver for my husband (t1 as well) when he took them out over the park for a walk, he forgotten both his hypo kit and mobile phone... And the mild hypo he had while he was out, turned into a major hypo and the dogs got him home as far as they could, then one stayed with him while my more nervous dog Jones, came home to raise the alarm.. When we got to my husband not only was he in a diabetic coma, but was also had hypothermia took an hour to stabilise him in the ambulance before being blue lighted into A&E..

What an absolutely incredible story :thumbup:

lauren_gee_x

My own dog is very similar to your jopar, shes amazing she can tell when I'm having a hypo and when my brothers having an epileptic fit as well.

As youve said a small breed is normally best, Jaii's a german shepard mix. Shes had no proper training shes just picked up on it some how.