Managing LCHF when not at home

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
At a guess I’m thinking it would drain the battery if the car wasn’t moving which it wouldn’t be overnight. I guess potentially I could charge during the day and keep ice blocks in overnight to try and regrée et.
We use one when travelling, take it into the hotel room and plug it in there. Works fine.

Reactions: HSSS

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It’s very confusing. It’s called crowne plaza in Basingstoke but also says ihg

I have stayed there!
They were great, have a word with reception and it's good enough to provide you with everything you require, but you have to ask.
Every hotel now has to have literature on what is in every item of food on the evening and breakfast menu.
You should be able get everything you want.

Enjoy your stay there, I did, the breakfast was excellent! Freshly cooked bacon and poached eggs, yum!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At a guess I’m thinking it would drain the battery if the car wasn’t moving which it wouldn’t be overnight. I guess potentially I could charge during the day and keep ice blocks in overnight to try and regrée et.
Many come with mains power too for use in the hotel room

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can. It’s more keeping me going for a long journey home.
Since lockdown I’ve reduced my hours and it’s helped but I still do get tired quicker and the 4pm ish slump is still a problem. Not so much when I’m working locally because I eat breakfast later as start later. But if I’m eating at 5.30am and driving home around 4.30pn that will be an issue for energy.
Only thing I might do is eat a bread roll about 4 ish then in the car so it keeps me going but tiredness is still a problem.
Most things you buy in the morning will last the day, particularly if you have a lunch bag. Most are insulated.
Or do a(nother) quick purchase before you head off home if you want even fresher items.

For someone who has been low carb as long as you have you still seem to equate energy with a need for a carb hit, eg the bread roll idea and idea of energy slumps/tiredness without constant feeds. It seems in conflict with most peoples experience once low carb adapted and sugars in a decent range. I’m not sure any food suggestions will meet your requirements as it seems to be more about your mindset than food to me. Sorry if I have that wrong and I hope some of the ideas offered here work for you.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Most things you buy in the morning will last the day, particularly if you have a lunch bag. Most are insulated.
Or do a(nother) quick purchase before you head off home if you want even fresher items.

For someone who has been low carb as long as you have you still seem to equate energy with a need for a carb hit, eg the bread roll idea and idea of energy slumps/tiredness without constant feeds. It seems in conflict with most peoples experience once low carb adapted and sugars in a decent range. I’m not sure any food suggestions will meet your requirements as it seems to be more about your mindset than food to me. Sorry if I have that wrong and I hope some of the ideas offered here work for you.

no I don’t think so. It’s really only been the last couple of weeks but then that’s because I’ve only suddenly done longer hours.
i think problem is I can’t risk driving and being that tired. Before this I wasn’t needing anything extra. I know the carb thing works I can’t risk trying something else and it not working.
Had issue with sugar cravings but sorted that. Seemed to be about a casserole mix.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
no I don’t think so. It’s really only been the last couple of weeks but then that’s because I’ve only suddenly done longer hours.
i think problem is I can’t risk driving and being that tired. Before this I wasn’t needing anything extra. I know the carb thing works I can’t risk trying something else and it not working.
Had issue with sugar cravings but sorted that. Seemed to be about a casserole mix.
In which case I hope one or more of the above ideas help you stick to the low carb method.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have stayed in hotels a couple of times and had no trouble in eating low carb. In the mornings I was able to eat so much that I could not have eaten lunch even if I wanted to, and on the last day I took my lidded bowl along to the dining room and filled it with scrambled egg, mushrooms and added a couple of sausages. All the women on the knitting course were having cereal or toast and there was heaps of the good stuff left untouched, so I can't say that I felt at all guilty in acquiring dinner for the journey home.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

I’ve been thinking and I’m starting to think you are in the right direction albeit not mindset as such.

i do not generally enjoy low carb food. I eat it because I have to but I’ve never managed to get this wonderful feeling and huge amount of energy that others on here tak about.

if I have something like sweets if I’m that tired it makes me feel invigorated and alice, I’m bouncy and I’m back to being me. I no longer feel low and I am talkative and have energy. Obviously the addictive part but I only get that from sweets etc. So in that sense they work of o need energy. Low carb just doesn’t.
The sweet energy doesn’t last and I crash and can’t keep doing it because I feel ill but it works for the duration I need that burst if energy for.

I only found this about 5 weeks ago. I had ran out of steam, I’d eaten my food and it wasn’t doing anything. I was desperate because I had to continue working so I had sweets and it worked.

But yes. I generally don’t like the low carb food. I quite often feel sick and I just don’t enjoy it. I have to eat it so I do but I don’t enjoy it. I wish I did but nothing changes.
Doesn’t seem to matter how long I am low carb for and I’m generally as close to je to as I can be. My body doesn’t adapt.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been thinking and I’m starting to think you are in the right direction albeit not mindset as such.

i do not generally enjoy low carb food. I eat it because I have to but I’ve never managed to get this wonderful feeling and huge amount of energy that others on here tak about.

if I have something like sweets if I’m that tired it makes me feel invigorated and alice, I’m bouncy and I’m back to being me. I no longer feel low and I am talkative and have energy. Obviously the addictive part but I only get that from sweets etc. So in that sense they work of o need energy. Low carb just doesn’t.
The sweet energy doesn’t last and I crash and can’t keep doing it because I feel ill but it works for the duration I need that burst if energy for.

I only found this about 5 weeks ago. I had ran out of steam, I’d eaten my food and it wasn’t doing anything. I was desperate because I had to continue working so I had sweets and it worked.

But yes. I generally don’t like the low carb food. I quite often feel sick and I just don’t enjoy it. I have to eat it so I do but I don’t enjoy it. I wish I did but nothing changes.
Doesn’t seem to matter how long I am low carb for and I’m generally as close to je to as I can be. My body doesn’t adapt.
I’ll be honest and agree I never felt a rush of energy going low carb. But I gradually felt less “hit the wall” exhausted. It wasn’t a dramatic revaluation. A gentle subtle change. I still yearn for sugary stuff sometimes too but it isn’t the craving it used to be. So not everyone transforms and never has urges again. Though I do enjoy the food. What specifically do you not like and what do you specifically miss?

You are missing sugar rushes by the sounds of hit. The hit of a glucose high. As you say the crash afterwards isn’t so much fun It’s been a common theme in many of your posts since the start of your journey. What I mean in terms of mindset is you still resent diabetes and resent the foods you eat and the effects it has on your career. Now I’m not saying that’s undeserved resentment, anyone could be angry but ultimately making peace with it and finding ways for it to be less intrusive into life is more beneficial to you. You are choosing to eat these foods etc because it’s the option you have decided is best for you and the alternatives are worse in your mind for you. You are choosing to make time to stop and buy fresh foods because you don’t want to fuel on junk which ultimately makes you feel worse. See the difference take on the same situation?

Perhaps you need to revisit which low carb foods you are choosing. It might help you enjoy it more. In my earlier months I felt nauseous if I ate too much fat in one go and needed to space it out and not have too much of particular types together. Maybe worth considering. Do you still count carbs? Check labels of anything new? Test regularly? Is there the possibility of carb creep if not? Do you try new foods? Create variety? Bulk cook for those cant be ***** days? Treat yourself a nice steak sometimes (or whichever low carb thing does float your boat)? Anything that makes it feel less of a punishment really.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Woolgal - My view with LC eating is if I know I have a very heavy day coming up, I need to prepare for that.

Eating sugar, sweets, or whatever, will generally give a near immediate sugar rush and (if they're your thing) a high, but that said, the high is usually followed a while later by a signal from the body for more. Call it a craving or whatever else you like, but it's usually there.

Over the summer, we did some fairly outrageous landscaping on our gardens, lifting turf and hard landscaping, digging out many tons of soil, digging in thousands of litres of farmyard manure (if well enough matured it doesn't smell - too much!), then planting up, and making a couple of new areas, involving footings, cement, paving stones and edges.

All of that was done LC, but it meant I needed to be well fuelled, and not wait for the fatigue to arrive. Actually, my biggest issue was ensuring I drank enough as phases of that work was during the very hot days. (Remember those?)

When doing long-haul flights, I usually fast through the flight - especially if I am using a non-European airline. Being both LC and strictly GF, it's a challenge to sometimes find something on the menu.

To fast for what often ends up being 30-48 hours, I have a couple of days on carni. I spend 2 or 3 days eating meat and cheese, but still allowing myself milk in drinks. My final eating window will usually be chicken or such like, in the departure airport. That sees me through.

I have mentioned this before, but sometimes we need to train our bodies out of these cycles, and for me, that means periods of not having any of the x, y or z at all.

I said many times before that I don't think bread is for you. I think it restarts your up and down cycles. I could also be inclined to think you get bored on the longer drives and food is your then comfort.

Good luck with it all, but I would invest the weekend preparing for the few days ahead.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Woolgal - My view with LC eating is if I know I have a very heavy day coming up, I need to prepare for that.

Eating sugar, sweets, or whatever, will generally give a near immediate sugar rush and (if they're your thing) a high, but that said, the high is usually followed a while later by a signal from the body for more. Call it a craving or whatever else you like, but it's usually there.

Over the summer, we did some fairly outrageous landscaping on our gardens, lifting turf and hard landscaping, digging out many tons of soil, digging in thousands of litres of farmyard manure (if well enough matured it doesn't smell - too much!), then planting up, and making a couple of new areas, involving footings, cement, paving stones and edges.

All of that was done LC, but it meant I needed to be well fuelled, and not wait for the fatigue to arrive. Actually, my biggest issue was ensuring I drank enough as phases of that work was during the very hot days. (Remember those?)

When doing long-haul flights, I usually fast through the flight - especially if I am using a non-European airline. Being both LC and strictly GF, it's a challenge to sometimes find something on the menu.

To fast for what often ends up being 30-48 hours, I have a couple of days on carni. I spend 2 or 3 days eating meat and cheese, but still allowing myself milk in drinks. My final eating window will usually be chicken or such like, in the departure airport. That sees me through.

I have mentioned this before, but sometimes we need to train our bodies out of these cycles, and for me, that means periods of not having any of the x, y or z at all.

I said many times before that I don't think bread is for you. I think it restarts your up and down cycles. I could also be inclined to think you get bored on the longer drives and food is your then comfort.

Good luck with it all, but I would invest the weekend preparing for the few days ahead.

Saturday was the first time I’ve had bread in so long I can’t remember. Definitely to this year at all.

I just seem to have gotten in a muddle for some reason and it’s coincided with winter and colder weather and longer hours. I seem to have lost my nerve when it comes to energy etc,

So in the days before when you know you need more energy do you eat more?
My diet is fairly meaty anyway,
I don’t really eat much veg, unless I add it to a casserole.
It’s not until the 9 and 10th and 16 November so I’ve already started prepping,
Staying locally I’m fine, I’ve added chicken thighs and meatballs to my diet to give me more fuel which my body seems to need all of a sudden. But it’s all carb free, I’ve upped how much bacon I have and eggs and breakfast so I’m eating more then as well. Strangely I’m loosing a bit of weight not putting on.

to be honest my sleeping isn’t amazing which is not helping, waking up at z3am is not helping me avoid the late afternoon slump.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing already mentioned - hydration.
It is amazing how little water people drink, and what a difference it can make - I know one person who suffered indigestion for years, and it went away when he began to drink a glass of water before eating. He'd spent a fortune on medication and even had gastroscopies looking for the reason.
Being dehydrated can mean feeling quite unwell and makes a proper response to working hard just about impossible.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’ll be honest and agree I never felt a rush of energy going low carb. But I gradually felt less “hit the wall” exhausted. It wasn’t a dramatic revaluation. A gentle subtle change. I still yearn for sugary stuff sometimes too but it isn’t the craving it used to be. So not everyone transforms and never has urges again. Though I do enjoy the food. What specifically do you not like and what do you specifically miss?

You are missing sugar rushes by the sounds of hit. The hit of a glucose high. As you say the crash afterwards isn’t so much fun It’s been a common theme in many of your posts since the start of your journey. What I mean in terms of mindset is you still resent diabetes and resent the foods you eat and the effects it has on your career. Now I’m not saying that’s undeserved resentment, anyone could be angry but ultimately making peace with it and finding ways for it to be less intrusive into life is more beneficial to you. You are choosing to eat these foods etc because it’s the option you have decided is best for you and the alternatives are worse in your mind for you. You are choosing to make time to stop and buy fresh foods because you don’t want to fuel on junk which ultimately makes you feel worse. See the difference take on the same situation?

Perhaps you need to revisit which low carb foods you are choosing. It might help you enjoy it more. In my earlier months I felt nauseous if I ate too much fat in one go and needed to space it out and not have too much of particular types together. Maybe worth considering. Do you still count carbs? Check labels of anything new? Test regularly? Is there the possibility of carb creep if not? Do you try new foods? Create variety? Bulk cook for those cant be ***** days? Treat yourself a nice steak sometimes (or whichever low carb thing does float your boat)? Anything that makes it feel less of a punishment really.

I agree with you there, I do get mad at diabetes, all this planning needed just to do a job away from home. Business is booming at the moment but because I get tired I’m trying not to work as much. If this was prior diagnosis I’d be working all Horus which isn’t great but financially would be blooming helpful especially after 4 months of mot working in lockdown etc,
So in that sense yes I hate diabetes and the fact it intrudes,
In terms of the food, I’m happy to eat it because I do feel better inside, less IBS symptoms etc, but I do just feel tired. im not sure why I don’t like the food.
It seems if I eat anything I enjoy it basically means I shouldn’t be eating it because ethe reason I’m enjoying It is because it’s got something in it I shouldn’t have.
A few weeks ago I tested a beef casserole mix, didn’t affect my sugars one bit. However over the next month I noticed I was really struggling with cravings and most of the time was giving in because I just couldn’t not eat sweets. Very much the way it was before I got diagnosed.
I realised a couple weeks ago that the timing was the same so I stopped eating them and hey presto the cravings diminished quickly. I can only assume whatever was in the packet reacted like sweeteners do and worked in the background somehow.
But I enjoyed the flavour.
I don’t seem to feel hungry much which is good, but I seem to get symptoms. So I feel headachy or ratty or just weird, I sometimes feel hungry first thing but during the day I just don’t feel hungry. So I eat to make sure I can drive safely. I just don’t seem to have much of an appetite. So I don’t seem to enjoy food
I can’t really put my finger in why I don’t like the food. over the summer I ate loads of salad and enjoyed them, through lockdown my sugars were rising a bit and my first thing in the mornings were getting up to 9s. Dr wasn’t concerned but I didn’t like them. I started getting symptoms of IBS. When it started getting colder is topped eating salad and my sugars dropped within a couple of days and they are back to normal now. So for whatever reason my body doesn’t like salad (although I do like beetroot).

My breakfast is a fry up. lunch is carb one tortillas with rocket ham mayo and tomato. 2 of these. This used to last me and I’d have one tortilla between lessons. Now these aren’t enough and I need to have both at lunch and then I have chicken thigh and bacon and beef meatballs.
Dinner is homemade (not mixes) chicken or beef casserole.

I’m not cheating by having sweets, the only time I have is when I left gap between eating too long during work last week and I felt really ill so had some sweets to get where I needed, then that lasted all day so to get home (which was the lousy drive) I continued with the sweets as sugars swung. othweriwse I’m not cheating,

sitting here writing I’m trying to think of what I don’t like but I really can’t think of it, other than it just doesn’t do anything, whether I’m missing sweets or a sweetie taste I don’t know. I just don’t enjoy food anymore.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
One thing already mentioned - hydration.
It is amazing how little water people drink, and what a difference it can make - I know one person who suffered indigestion for years, and it went away when he began to drink a glass of water before eating. He'd spent a fortune on medication and even had gastroscopies looking for the reason.
Being dehydrated can mean feeling quite unwell and makes a proper response to working hard just about impossible.
I agreee, another downfall of the job is toilet breaks. Although one upside to COVID is that I now have longer breaks between lessons so I can use the toilet. I am dreadful at drinking enough though, I’m always thirsty but I find it hard to drink. Don’t think I’m as bad as I used to be but could be better

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday was the first time I’ve had bread in so long I can’t remember. Definitely to this year at all.

I just seem to have gotten in a muddle for some reason and it’s coincided with winter and colder weather and longer hours. I seem to have lost my nerve when it comes to energy etc,

So in the days before when you know you need more energy do you eat more?
My diet is fairly meaty anyway,
I don’t really eat much veg, unless I add it to a casserole.
It’s not until the 9 and 10th and 16 November so I’ve already started prepping,
Staying locally I’m fine, I’ve added chicken thighs and meatballs to my diet to give me more fuel which my body seems to need all of a sudden. But it’s all carb free, I’ve upped how much bacon I have and eggs and breakfast so I’m eating more then as well. Strangely I’m loosing a bit of weight not putting on.

to be honest my sleeping isn’t amazing which is not helping, waking up at z3am is not helping me avoid the late afternoon slump.

If it's the odd day I'll be busier, and maybe need more energy I'd probably not bother eating more. If it was a sustained period of multiple days, I might add something in. I know when we were doing our major garden work, I was digging, shovelling and shifting tons of soil/manure and so on, I was eating like a horse. Lack of energy never held me back.

If I did feel wanted to eat more, I'd up the protein or fat.

If you are losing weight, but eating more, it could be you have been plain old not eating enough.

If you could improve your sleeping, I'm sure you would feel better overall. I know if I'm sleep deprived, I'm evil!

My OH has periodic sleeping issues. We have both started using Magnesium L Threonate. His sleep is markedly better and whilst I have always slept well, I may or may not be sleeping better, although it's harder to evaluate when I sleep well already.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agreee, another downfall of the job is toilet breaks. Although one upside to COVID is that I now have longer breaks between lessons so I can use the toilet. I am dreadful at drinking enough though, I’m always thirsty but I find it hard to drink. Don’t think I’m as bad as I used to be but could be better
I suspect that is likely to be a significant part of the problem. Enough water ensures you can regulate things such as temperature and get rid of toxins, and so much more.