Does any of this sound familiar?

Ivygreen

Hi everyone,
I am new to this thread, new to the concept of having diabetes. But I have been browsing around a bit and found lots of very helpful information on this forum. Perhaps you all can help me as well.
I have not been myself since January 2017, when I was struck with sudden illness. Ever since, I have been struggling with severe water retention and weight gain (I have gained approx. 100 lbs since), and no idea what's wrong. All my tests have come back normal. Except one: my hs-crp levels showed critical inflammation, indicating possible future issues with my heart.
Over this past spring, I had felt rather out of whack, and had purchased a glucose monitor to start watching my blood sugar levels. That's when I discovered I had some pre-diabetic fasting levels. My doctor admonished that, while I was probably dealing with some insulin resistance, it was most likely a result of what else was going on in my body, and gave me some dietary suggestions to help control it. While he didn't discount it all together, he definitely didn't seem to be as concerned about it as I was.
I was advised that I needed to take a break and get my mind off my health, so, in September, my husband and I took a 5 week cross country trip to visit my family and go camping. I was particularly bloated and inflamed the whole time, but I decided not to worry about it til I came home. One evening, just 2 days after returning home, I felt particularly "off", so I decided to check my glucose and blood pressure, just to start monitoring my vitals. I never made it to checking my blood pressure. My glucose was 235 mg/dl (yeah, I am from the USA: please don't hold it against me!), and I just crumpled.
I had only eaten cream of pumpkin and potato soup for dinner, with a few whole wheat crackers. Yet this was enough to send me well over the diabetic line.
I immediately went on an extremely low carb diet, and began monitoring my glucose levels through out the day. In less than 2 days on such a diet, I already noticed a HUGE difference. My feet were no longer puffy and inflamed and I felt a whole ton better.
I also realized that exercise, which previous had only wearied and inflamed me, made me actually feel better.
After a few days, I experimented with adding a bit of sourdough bread, or tiny amounts of brown rice or quinoa back into my meals to see how I could handle them and, while my glucose didn't shoot up drastically, the swelling and inflammation began to return. Since apparently my body cannot handle carbohydrates, I have cut them out just about entirely. I still have a few carrot sticks with salad, and berries or apples don't seem to be a problem. But all other fruits and grains are out.
I have been in touch with my doctor, and we are preparing another group of tests to take, including the A1C,. In the meantime, doing as much research as I can. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information regarding the symptoms progressing up to insulin resistance or pre-diabetes.
It's as if you either have it or you don't.
But I can't, for the life of me, believe that a person can go from being perfectly healthy to having full blown diabetes. There has to be a lead up of symptoms as the disease develops, before it is actually diagnosed.
And so my questions are:
Have I been watching myself slowly develop diabetes over the past 3 1/2 years, without realizing it?
Can any of you trace your diabetes (1 or 2), or insulin resistance back to a particular illness?
What symptoms did you experience in the years leading up do your diagnosis?

MY main complaints have been tops: water retention and weight gain. Next, my biggest struggles have been fatigue and lack of energy, followed by severe muscle pain, similar to what is often called fibromyalgia. And finally breathlessness and heavy legs. This last one is an anomaly: most of the time I would be struggling up the stairs feeling like I have a 50 lb sack tied to each upper leg. And then another day, I go up the stairs, and they feel weightless.
All of these symptoms have progressed from a single illness. I will post about this separately to keep this post from becoming any longer than it already is.
I thank you for your time, and experience. And I look forward to any suggestions any of you may have.
Blessings,
Ivygreen

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What an ordeal! Doesn't sound like T1, but I would want to have that possibility eliminated by having the antibody tests done. The quick weight gain could have caused insulin resistance and the onset of T2 diabetes. So what caused the weight gain? As all the tests came back negative, could it be an allergy or food intolerance? Sounds like cutting out gluten helped.

Reactions: oldgreymare

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. We have members from all over the world, we will talk to anybody!

Everyone is different. You might want to have a look at the keto diet. If you are struggling with carbs, it's lower carb than low carb.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The quick weight gain could have caused insulin resistance and the onset of T2 diabetes. So what caused the weight gain?
Or insulin resistance could have caused the weight gain. Weight gain seems to be a common symptom of IR.

Ivygreen

Wow! Thanks, y'all
I wasn't expecting so much response so fast! I was working on a post going over my symptom progression over the past few years, but will set it aside for now.
So insulin resistance can actually cause the weight gain?
Is water retention also a sign of IR? Or fatigue?
The heavy leg syndrome has been the weirdest thing, and I am wondering if there are others that experience the same thing.
I haven't yet been officially declared diabetic, but my doctor told me anything over 160 mg/dl is in the diabetic range. So I am treating myself like I am.
Xfieldok- I already found the nutritional thingy (via the discussions on this forum!) and it's been super helpful! Thanks!
Are there any other tests I should requests?
My doctor, a naturopath, is already ordering A1C, GSP, Adiponectin, Ferritin, and Insulin
I am thinking of adding C-peptide, GAD, and test for protein in urine
Are there any other tests any of you would recommend?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wow! Thanks, y'all
I wasn't expecting so much response so fast! I was working on a post going over my symptom progression over the past few years, but will set it aside for now.
So insulin resistance can actually cause the weight gain?
Is water retention also a sign of IR? Or fatigue?
The heavy leg syndrome has been the weirdest thing, and I am wondering if there are others that experience the same thing.
I haven't yet been officially declared diabetic, but my doctor told me anything over 160 mg/dl is in the diabetic range. So I am treating myself like I am.
Xfieldok- I already found the nutritional thingy (via the discussions on this forum!) and it's been super helpful! Thanks!
Are there any other tests I should requests?
My doctor, a naturopath, is already ordering A1C, GSP, Adiponectin, Ferritin, and Insulin
I am thinking of adding C-peptide, GAD, and test for protein in urine
Are there any other tests any of you would recommend?

Hi and welcome to our forum.
My story is not similar to yours but you have found out for yourself the food that is causing all your symptoms. The actual reason could be akin to diabetes, but what stands out for me is, weight gain, insulin resistance, noticing when you go a bit weird.
Many diabetics have a carb intolerance, if it's anything like me, the foods that causes carb intolerance are the ones to avoid.
Because insulin resistance doesn't take care of the glucose derived from carbs, you will have higher glucose levels and higher circulating insulin levels.
This viscous circle of higher levels, has an effect on weight, I myself went up to 18 stone, supposedly eating a healthy diet. However that healthy diet was caused my weight gain and my symptoms. It was the carbs in porridge, the carbs in baked potatoes, it was the carbs in too much fruit, the carbs in beans and eating the wrong fats and oils. It was also eating manufactured food.

As others have already suggested, the low carb diet is the best way to tackle this.
Those tests you listed are crucial in diagnosis. I would be interested in the results.

Keep safe

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I would have a look at your thyroid levels.... Thyroid issues often go along with diabetes (both T1 and T2) and can cause your symptoms, though as I am not a doctor I am sure that plenty of other things can also.

You say your doctor is a naturopath - do they also have standard medical training? It sounds like you need a full range of medical blood tests to identify your issues and there are some illnesses (notably T1) which definitely need drug treatment and can't be treated by diet and exercise alone. A conventional medical practitioner would know which tests you need to have.

T1 is thought to be triggered by illness/accident/stress for some people but I have to say that your current symptoms sound much more like T2.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
I am new to this thread, new to the concept of having diabetes. But I have been browsing around a bit and found lots of very helpful information on this forum. Perhaps you all can help me as well.
I have not been myself since January 2017, when I was struck with sudden illness. Ever since, I have been struggling with severe water retention and weight gain (I have gained approx. 100 lbs since), and no idea what's wrong. All my tests have come back normal. Except one: my hs-crp levels showed critical inflammation, indicating possible future issues with my heart.
Over this past spring, I had felt rather out of whack, and had purchased a glucose monitor to start watching my blood sugar levels. That's when I discovered I had some pre-diabetic fasting levels. My doctor admonished that, while I was probably dealing with some insulin resistance, it was most likely a result of what else was going on in my body, and gave me some dietary suggestions to help control it. While he didn't discount it all together, he definitely didn't seem to be as concerned about it as I was.
I was advised that I needed to take a break and get my mind off my health, so, in September, my husband and I took a 5 week cross country trip to visit my family and go camping. I was particularly bloated and inflamed the whole time, but I decided not to worry about it til I came home. One evening, just 2 days after returning home, I felt particularly "off", so I decided to check my glucose and blood pressure, just to start monitoring my vitals. I never made it to checking my blood pressure. My glucose was 235 mg/dl (yeah, I am from the USA: please don't hold it against me!), and I just crumpled.
I had only eaten cream of pumpkin and potato soup for dinner, with a few whole wheat crackers. Yet this was enough to send me well over the diabetic line.
I immediately went on an extremely low carb diet, and began monitoring my glucose levels through out the day. In less than 2 days on such a diet, I already noticed a HUGE difference. My feet were no longer puffy and inflamed and I felt a whole ton better.
I also realized that exercise, which previous had only wearied and inflamed me, made me actually feel better.
After a few days, I experimented with adding a bit of sourdough bread, or tiny amounts of brown rice or quinoa back into my meals to see how I could handle them and, while my glucose didn't shoot up drastically, the swelling and inflammation began to return. Since apparently my body cannot handle carbohydrates, I have cut them out just about entirely. I still have a few carrot sticks with salad, and berries or apples don't seem to be a problem. But all other fruits and grains are out.
I have been in touch with my doctor, and we are preparing another group of tests to take, including the A1C,. In the meantime, doing as much research as I can. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information regarding the symptoms progressing up to insulin resistance or pre-diabetes.
It's as if you either have it or you don't.
But I can't, for the life of me, believe that a person can go from being perfectly healthy to having full blown diabetes. There has to be a lead up of symptoms as the disease develops, before it is actually diagnosed.
And so my questions are:
Have I been watching myself slowly develop diabetes over the past 3 1/2 years, without realizing it?
Can any of you trace your diabetes (1 or 2), or insulin resistance back to a particular illness?
What symptoms did you experience in the years leading up do your diagnosis?

MY main complaints have been tops: water retention and weight gain. Next, my biggest struggles have been fatigue and lack of energy, followed by severe muscle pain, similar to what is often called fibromyalgia. And finally breathlessness and heavy legs. This last one is an anomaly: most of the time I would be struggling up the stairs feeling like I have a 50 lb sack tied to each upper leg. And then another day, I go up the stairs, and they feel weightless.
All of these symptoms have progressed from a single illness. I will post about this separately to keep this post from becoming any longer than it already is.
I thank you for your time, and experience. And I look forward to any suggestions any of you may have.
Blessings,
Ivygreen

Do you have PCOS or any of the other hormonal disorders, like hypothyroidism?

Reactions: EllieM

Ivygreen

I would have a look at your thyroid levels.... Thyroid issues often go along with diabetes (both T1 and T2) and can cause your symptoms, though as I am not a doctor I am sure that plenty of other things can also.

You say your doctor is a naturopath - do they also have standard medical training? It sounds like you need a full range of medical blood tests to identify your issues and there are some illnesses (notably T1) which definitely need drug treatment and can't be treated by diet and exercise alone. A conventional medical practitioner would know which tests you need to have.

T1 is thought to be triggered by illness/accident/stress for some people but I have to say that your current symptoms sound much more like T2.

I have symptoms of thyroid issues: I have had thyroid panels run, and the results all come back within range. And we've even done the extended panels.

Not a standard medical doctor, but he can order tests, and do diagnostics, et al. Once I have an understanding of what is going on , I can transfer to a medical doctor, if needed. I do not have insurance, so I have to be very careful how I spend my money, and my naturopath has been very helpful in working with me on costs, getting me the blood tests needed at reduced prices.

Also, I have seen articles on Type 2 being caused by a bacteria, so I am wondering what the experience has been in the diabetic community.
I just tried to send a link of an article about this, but it wouldn't let me post it.

Ivygreen

Hi and welcome to our forum.
My story is not similar to yours but you have found out for yourself the food that is causing all your symptoms. The actual reason could be akin to diabetes, but what stands out for me is, weight gain, insulin resistance, noticing when you go a bit weird.
Many diabetics have a carb intolerance, if it's anything like me, the foods that causes carb intolerance are the ones to avoid.
Because insulin resistance doesn't take care of the glucose derived from carbs, you will have higher glucose levels and higher circulating insulin levels.
This viscous circle of higher levels, has an effect on weight, I myself went up to 18 stone, supposedly eating a healthy diet. However that healthy diet was caused my weight gain and my symptoms. It was the carbs in porridge, the carbs in baked potatoes, it was the carbs in too much fruit, the carbs in beans and eating the wrong fats and oils. It was also eating manufactured food.

As others have already suggested, the low carb diet is the best way to tackle this.
Those tests you listed are crucial in diagnosis. I would be interested in the results.

Keep safe
Thanks, Lamont D,
I feel that the diabetes is the result and not the cause of the health issues I am having, that's why I am still searching. But I am open to consider that its been a glucose issue the whole time, just undetected because my fasting levels were normal when I went for blood draw, and I wasn't monitoring after meals.

Ivygreen

I have symptoms of thyroid issues: I have had thyroid panels run, and the results all come back within range. And we've even done the extended panels.

Not a standard medical doctor, but he can order tests, and do diagnostics, et al. Once I have an understanding of what is going on , I can transfer to a medical doctor, if needed. I do not have insurance, so I have to be very careful how I spend my money, and my naturopath has been very helpful in working with me on costs, getting me the blood tests needed at reduced prices.

Also, I have seen articles on Type 2 being caused by a bacteria, so I am wondering what the experience has been in the diabetic community.
I just tried to send a link of an article about this, but it wouldn't let me post it.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150601172848.htm

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just before my diagnosis I had a number of health issues that I initially blamed for a false diagnosis. It wasn’t false. I was type 2. But my point is that I do believe they tipped me over an edge I was already balanced on and probably would have fallen over in the end regardless (due to lack of knowledge of the edge being there or what to do about it).
The insulin resistance had been building for years in the background. Weight had been gained as a result. I was getting more and more tired etc. I had no idea why. Illness does raise levels and my conditions pro a raised them more but they were going up anyway and I’m grateful my diabetes was identified before it got any worse and I found this forum and cut the carbs.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Since apparently my body cannot handle carbohydrates, I have cut them out just about entirely. I still have a few carrot sticks with salad, and berries or apples don't seem to be a problem. But all other fruits and grains are out.

Could this be a question of food intolerances then, rather than just carbs? (If it's simply carbs then I'm surprised you can cope woth apples, though berries are relatively low carb). A lot of people (not just diabetics) have issues with gluten, which is found in very many foods....

Ivygreen

Just before my diagnosis I had a number of health issues that I initially blamed for a false diagnosis. It wasn’t false. I was type 2. But my point is that I do believe they tipped me over an edge I was already balanced on and probably would have fallen over in the end regardless (due to lack of knowledge of the edge being there or what to do about it).
The insulin resistance had been building for years in the background. Weight had been gained as a result. I was getting more and more tired etc. I had no idea why. Illness does raise levels and my conditions pro a raised them more but they were going up anyway and I’m grateful my diabetes was identified before it got any worse and I found this forum and cut the carbs.

Bingo. Except I have had a number of health issues that haven't been able to breceive diagnosis, since I am awesomely "normal, according to my blood!
But I can't help wondering if I knew these symptoms would lead to IR and diabetes, had I gone low carb, would I have avoided the ensuing issues. I know these are what ifs, but none the less, my mind still goes there, because I was looking for answers then, and couldn't find any.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ivygreen - I have no idea how old you are so please forgive me if this question is totally inappropriate, but where are you in relation to the menopause?

Ivygreen

Could this be a question of food intolerances then, rather than just carbs? (If it's simply carbs then I'm surprised you can cope woth apples, though berries are relatively low carb). A lot of people (not just diabetics) have issues with gluten, which is found in very many foods....
Can food allergies cause insulin resistance? If so, this is new for me as I thought only sugar/carbs caused IR.
Since I have been testing, I only have been eating apples with almond or peanut butter, or cottage cheese, so I haven't tested the reaction by themselves.
Potatoes and corn are definitely out. The last time I ate beans, my glucose went to somewhere in the 150s range. So these may have to go out as well (Which really saddens me! Beans were my mainstay!)
Actually, I can put a little raw honey in my tea, but I drink that with cream, and no longer on an empty stomach, so that might help.