Hair loss

Pan123

Hi

I am newly diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes on sept 1st this year. My blood sugar was around 18mg. However, within 2 weeks I managed to lower it with metformin and by removing carbs from my diet. I also took astorvastatin. After two weeks, I noticed my hair was falling out and realised that this could be the statin and informed my doctor who told me to stop taking it for three weeks to a month. It has been as least 4-5 weeks and m hair is still falling out.. with clumps of hair. My blood sugar levels are mainly around 5 to 8 with the occasional high of 9-10.. but it is still falling out...
I am also taking hair follic and using regaine.

Has anyone been through this before and will it stop? I know everyone is different but this is really stressful out. Need some advice.

Pan

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm having this problem at the moment but mine isn't related to medication as I've had it since March which I think is when I started getting diabetes. Really hope it stops soon!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I am newly diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes on sept 1st this year. My blood sugar was around 18mg. However, within 2 weeks I managed to lower it with metformin and by removing carbs from my diet. I also took astorvastatin. After two weeks, I noticed my hair was falling out and realised that this could be the statin and informed my doctor who told me to stop taking it for three weeks to a month. It has been as least 4-5 weeks and m hair is still falling out.. with clumps of hair. My blood sugar levels are mainly around 5 to 8 with the occasional high of 9-10.. but it is still falling out...
I am also taking hair follic and using regaine.

Has anyone been through this before and will it stop? I know everyone is different but this is really stressful out. Need some advice.

Pan

Pan - Have you had a full blood panel done recently, whilst all of this has been going on?

Various vitamins and nutrients can impact hair quality and quantity - as can plain old not eating enough. One of the first things the body will shut down on, if it's struggling at all, will be hair. Yes, it keeps our heads warm - a bit, but otherwise it's cosmetic (although can have a huge impact on how we feel about ourselves).

If the hair stops growing, there will be loss, as each strand comes to the end of it's natural life.

I'd also wonder if you have had your thyroid levels checked. Hairloss is a very common symptom of thyroid issues - many of which are "easy" to treat.

So, for me a full blood panel would be the way forward.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My hair started coming out on the brush a few weeks into my D diagnosis; (head of) hair felt very thin with no life. The good news is that my hair has happily grown back, even if at one point I did have an extra fringe with the new hair growth. Not sure what caused it. I got such as shock when I was first diagnosed with D so it could have been that plus I also changed my eating habits which may have been another shock to the system. Its an interesting point @DCUKMod, has made about the vitamins and minerals as when I was first diagnosed I went on a very low calorie diet so I can see I may not have been getting all the vitamins and minerals I needed.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are a few threads on this subject. Check your feratin levels. Biotin and thiamine (b3?) can help. Thyroid problems and peri menopause can also trigger hair loss. I feel your pain it’s horrible x

Pan123

Thank you for all your replies. I will be getting another blood test done and ask to check everything mentioned.

My worry is that it does not grow back.

I will get a blood test and let you know how it went..