Weirdly High BG

Abo2000

Hi all,

In the last few days my blood glucose have been weirdly high and have really struggled to drop even with a correction dose after a meal or even delayed drops with exercise etc.
I have a weird feeling that the cold may be affecting them? Is that even possible? Anyone else have this?
Thank you

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes a cold can mostly certainly affect things and make it a lot more difficult, any illness can/will do that. I normally have to up my insulin to cover it and even then can fight to get it below 10.
Have you not been told about sick day rules?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have a weird feeling that the cold may be affecting them? Is that even possible? Anyone else have this?
Thank you

Cold weather (as well as having a cold) can increase insulin needs for some people, but I'd also check things like whether your insulin has gone off, whether your insulin pen is working properly, whether you've been overusing injection sites. Also, if you're newly T1 you might be ending a honeymoon period. (Some T1s can go on producing insulin for quite a while after diagnosis, but eventually that production does off and they need more insulin).

Abo2000

Yes a cold can mostly certainly affect things and make it a lot more difficult, any illness can/will do that. I normally have to up my insulin to cover it and even then can fight to get it below 10.
Have you not been told about sick day rules?

I was diagnosed during the lockdown so I’ve been reading up everything, clearly I have missed the sick day rules but thank you for alerting me of it I will have a look

Abo2000

Cold weather (as well as having a cold) can increase insulin needs for some people, but I'd also check things like whether your insulin has gone off, whether your insulin pen is working properly, whether you've been overusing injection sites. Also, if you're newly T1 you might be ending a honeymoon period. (Some T1s can go on producing insulin for quite a while after diagnosis, but eventually that production does off and they need more insulin).

I thought the insulin might be off but the pen looks very clear, and it works because my glucose does go down, it just takes a couple of units more than usual as you said. And yes I rotate sites all the time

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I thought the insulin might be off but the pen looks very clear, and it works because my glucose does go down, it just takes a couple of units more than usual as you said. And yes I rotate sites all the time

Are you on single use pens or refillable pens? If the later I'd probably change the cartridge just to see if it makes a difference, but honestly there are a lot of things that can push your insulin needs up.